Thread: Treeleaf's "Monastery of Open Doors" featured in Tricycle Magazine

Treeleaf's "Monastery of Open Doors" featured in Tricycle Magazine

Dear All,

I am content to say that our "Monastery of Open Doors" is featured in an article running in both the print and online editions of the latest Tricycle Magazine.

The article is behind their paywall for subscribers, so I will quote just a few passages here. The article features our Kokuu, Washin and Jinkan especially:

The Monastery of Open Doors
    Treeleaf Zendo’s priest-training program for practitioners unable to take the traditional route

... Founded over a decade before the COVID-19 pandemic normalized online retreats, Treeleaf has been at the vanguard of virtual Buddhist practice. Cohen formed the community in 2006 as a practice space for people who could not leave their home because of illness or disability. Soon, though, the sangha expanded to include practitioners around the world who couldn’t attend in person because of schedules, geography, natural disaster, or war.

Over the past decade, Treeleaf has ordained several of its members who, like [Jinkan] Powers, demonstrate dedication to the dharma but are unable to pursue traditional monastic training. This year, the organization is piloting the first formal nonresidential path to Soto Zen ordination. Called the Monastery of Open Doors, the program is designed for committed Zen practitioners whose circumstances prevent them from participating in residential training. ...

... Kokuu Andy McLellan began practicing Buddhism in 1997 after he was diagnosed with myalgic encephalomyelitis, or chronic fatigue syndrome. Because of his illness, it is difficult for him to leave his home, so he cannot participate in residential monastic training. In 2017, he received shukke tokudo, or novice ordination, and he has been helping Cohen develop the Monastery of Open Doors to support others who hope to deepen their practice but face similar physical challenges. “There shouldn’t be one pathway to being a priest,” McLellan says. “We’re trying to open up alternative paths for those who can’t go the traditional route. If you’re chronically ill or living with a disability, that is another form of training. Through your illness, you learn to cultivate compassion and understanding of suffering without being in a monastery.”

Cohen agrees, noting that “illness and other hardships may be life’s most powerful koan, and a hospital bed or wheelchair can be a monastery.” ...

... At Treeleaf, as in most monastic training programs, novice priests are expected to lead sits and ceremonies for the community. But at the Monastery of Open Doors, they also learn how to adapt components of each ceremony so that all members have a way to participate regardless of the physical challenges they may face. Because many members have limited mobility, priests have developed ways to perform rituals while seated or, like Powers, while lying in a hospital bed. “We want to show that even if you’re disabled or chronically ill, you can still practice,” McLellan says. “And not only can you practice, you can ordain.” ...

... Treeleaf is committed to showing that people with disabilities have always had a place in the dharma. When novice priests learn about Zen lineage, they also learn the stories of people throughout Buddhist history who dealt with illness and physical challenges. This aspect of training was spearheaded by Powers and McLellan, who developed a “differently-abled ancestor ceremony” as a means of increasing the visibility of people with disabilities in the history of Buddhist practice. During retreats, the whole sangha chants the names and stories of these individuals, honoring “those who may have been met by exclusion or fear, those for whom the path was filled with obstacles and barriers, those for whom entrance was so often denied.” The names of these figures are included in the lineage charts that members receive when they take the precepts or ordain. ...

.. Through Treeleaf, [Washin Tsarenko] leads weekly meditation sessions called “Sitting for Peace,” where individuals from around the world come together to chant the Heart Sutra in English, Ukrainian, and Russian and dedicate their practice to those injured in the war. “Zen practice is difficult even under normal wordly conditions,” Tsarenko reflects. “In times of war, it is even more difficult because we are constantly under threat. Sometimes we enjoy silent days where there are no attacks. But other days are full of grief because we lose people. So how do we stay balanced? It all starts from zazen. ...

... Cohen believes that these types of service, though untraditional, are valid forms of training and help priests cultivate wisdom and compassion in the context of their everyday lives. “The point of the Monastery of Open Doors is to train good priests, no matter what winding road gets them there,” he says. “Many of our priests can’t go on ango, the traditional three-month residential retreat required for ordination. But another kind of ango is to be in a battlefield helping load trucks with food or to be nursing your dying spouse at their bedside. That is Zen training. That is abiding with the great question of life and death.”

Cohen acknowledges that Treeleaf’s approach is unconventional, and he still encourages those who are able to pursue residential training to do so. “If every priest were trained like we train our priests, it would be a disaster,” he jokes. “We would lose all the traditions that can be taught only in a residential setting. But there’s room for all of us: the Western monasteries, the monasteries in Japan, the hermits in their caves, and now, the Monastery of Open Doors. We have a place too.”
    Gassho, J

stlah

tsukupng.png
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-31-2022 at 01:12 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

It seems that the more difficulties life presents, the more the beauty stands out. What you started has developed into something beautiful Jundo.

Gassho,

MarkJ
    s@lah
    Last edited by Koriki; 10-31-2022 at 07:05 AM.

It a lovely article, and I am so proud of my Dharma Brothers and my Sangha.

Gassho
    Sat, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

That’s a very nice article. Congratulations to all involved

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Very nice . I am proud to be a part of this sangha.

Gassho!

Hopefully this helps open some eyes and hearts.
    Thank you for your relentless work, Jundo.

Sat Today
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Thank you, it is a nice article. Iam glad i found treeleaf.

Gassho,
    Diana
    Satlah

Happy to walk this path together with these fine people and seeing them portrayed in such a nice way.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

I continue to be amazed at the dedication and the bodhisattva spirit of this place. I am so glad that this article appeared in Tricycle so that others become aware of what we are doing here. So that people that may have thought there was no option for them, can come and join our amazing sangha.

Gassho,

Bill (Daiman)

Sat Today/LAH

Great article. Congratulations to Kokuu, JinKan, Washin, Jundo and all involved in this beautiful new monastery door that opened.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Satlah

Good

Gassho

Nenka
    ST

Deep bows as we carry on, and forward.

Gassho.

ST
    東西 - Tōsei - East West
    there is only what is, and it is all miraculous

What a wonderful article!

Naiko
    st lah

Fantastic! Keep up the truly beneficial work.
    Chris

Wonderful article. I was happy to see Kokuu's picture pop up in my feed

Gassho, Tomás
    Sat&LaH

Love this. I'm glad to see people taking an interest in Treeleaf as a non-traditional, yet valid place of practice. I've never seen Jundo's mission as detrimental to zen as an institution, and it's sad that he's been put through the wringer by those who feel threatened.

Gassho,
    Shujin

st

I feel fortunate to be here - wrapped in the arms of this sangha. I often feel like I take a lot from my Treeleaf family, support, friendship, encouragement. I hope to find a way to give back.
    Everyone - thank you for your practice
    Gasshō
    Seiko

stlah
    Gandō Seiko
    頑道清光
    (Stubborn Way of Pure Light)

My street name is 'Al'.

Any words I write here are merely the thoughts of an apprentice priest, just my opinions, that's all.

Lovely stuff, I'm grateful to be part of this sangha.

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah

Wonderful. One question - is Tricycle available in digital form as PDF? Thank you!

Sharan
    SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by Sharan View Post
    Wonderful. One question - is Tricycle available in digital form as PDF? Thank you!

Sharan
    SatToday
    Hi Sharan!

Yeah, it appears they have a digital only subscription . Here: https://subscribe.tricycle.com/TRI/?...076.1668083804

Sat Today
    Bion
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Quote Originally Posted by Bion View Post
    Hi Sharan!

Yeah, it appears they have a digital only subscription . Here: https://subscribe.tricycle.com/TRI/?...076.1668083804

Sat Today

Thank you, Bion. I know about this one, but not really interested in reading online but downloading digital. Well, let's try this trial and see where it will get us.

Sharan
    SjeoDanas.SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by Sharan View Post
    Thank you, Bion. I know about this one, but not really interested in reading online but downloading digital. Well, let's try this trial and see where it will get us.

Sharan
    SjeoDanas.SatToday
    Ah, so they don’t let you download a pdf? I thought that’s what it meant. Hard to believe in 2022 a publication will not prioritize digital format .

Sat Today
    Bion

Quote Originally Posted by Bion View Post
    Ah, so they don’t let you download a pdf? I thought that’s what it meant. Hard to believe in 2022 a publication will not prioritize digital format .

Sat Today
    It is always possible to convert an online version to PDF just by hitting "print" and saving as a PDF.

Gassho, J

stlah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    It is always possible to convert an online version to PDF just by hitting "print" and saving as a PDF.

Gassho, J

stlah
    Oh yeah, but I just had no idea they didn’t offer pdf download .. or maybe they do. I don’t know what’s in the digital subscription Good morning

Sat Today lah
    Bion

So glad to see this article.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.