Thread: Altar offerings

Altar offerings

Hi everyone,
    I understand that, traditionally, throughout most, if not all, Buddhist schools food and water are offered at the Buddha altar. Obviously, this will be a matter of personal preference, but I'm torn on whether to do this or not. Part of me finds meaning in the practice, part of me doesn't. I generally light a candle and incense and have an orchid on my altar, but food and water offerings tend to fluctuate.
    I'm curious what your views/practices on altar offerings are.

Gasshō
    Ryan
    Sat today

Altar offerings

Hi! I don’t do it on a regular basis, but as a gesture I think it’s a lovely reminder to be grateful for what we have, mindful of how it comes to us and ready to generously offer it (including ourselves, our time and the gift of dharma) to others in need.
    The plastic or wooden Buddha on the altar has no use for that food, but I think us stopping for a second to take the time to make an offering is a nice way of snapping out of our automatic mode where we mindlessly do things and developing gratitude and generosity

Sat
    Last edited by Bion; 10-30-2022 at 08:33 AM.
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Quote Originally Posted by _Ryan View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I understand that, traditionally, throughout most, if not all, Buddhist schools food and water are offered at the Buddha altar. Obviously, this will be a matter of personal preference, but I'm torn on whether to do this or not. Part of me finds meaning in the practice, part of me doesn't. I generally light a candle and incense and have an orchid on my altar, but food and water offerings tend to fluctuate.
    I'm curious what your views/practices on altar offerings are.

Gasshō
    Ryan
    Sat today
    I offer incense, as a way of bringing the olfactory sense into the specialness of the moment. Perhaps the candle signifies the light of illumination that is always burning. Flowers are nice as a reminder of life, although we have dry lotus bulbs on the Altar in Tsukuba.

I do not offer food and water, although many or most Zen priests might do so as a kind of symbolic offering of a meal and drink to Buddha (or to the family Ancestors who are housed in a typical Japanese household Altar). Really, you can (and many do) find many kinds of symbolism in such things, whatever strikes your heart, e.g. that the water washes away impurities, and the food fuels our energy and diligence. However, I tend toward simplicity and minimalism, so I do not offer food and water.

Gassho, J

stlah
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-31-2022 at 08:10 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

For me I light a candle before I do zazen and will use incense at the start of a zazenkai (with candles after the incense goes out). Don't use incence as much because don't want to be inhaling too much smoke.

Gassho
    Ross
    stlah

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    For me I light a candle before I do zazen and will use incense at the start of a zazenkai (with candles after the incense goes out). Don't use incence as much because don't want to be inhaling too much smoke.

Gassho
    Ross
    stlah
    Yes, this Incense as "second hand smoke" issue is not something to be discounted. I use some small incense in a well ventilated space. However, it is filled with micro-particles that are certainly not healthy to inhale. Many western Sangha have turn to substitutes including momentarily lighting the incense, but then turning it face down into the sand (or only lighting it in heart in the first place).

Chinese places, like where you are, Ross, can be quite incensed and insensitive about incense ...

and

All things in moderation.

Gassho, J

stlah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I have been to some temples that have banned incense, only allowing candles to be used. Others can be a bit too much to handle and they are very unpleasant to be in. Generally the 'worst' for this are Daoist temples.

Gassho
    Ross
    stlah

Thank you everyone for your perspectives
    Gasshō
    Ryan
    sat today

My altar has flowers and a small watering cup. I do this primarily out of respect to the Buddha and all the teachers and practitioners since then. I certainly do not think this is necessary or disrespectful not to do this. Each person finds their own way. Sincerity is there with or without altar fittings. For me, it was just engrained in me from early on. My teacher, Dai-En Bennage was very particular about this. She told me something that stuck with me til this day. She said every morning before you do anything, go to the altar and change the water in the offering cup and the water in the flowers. This brings your attention to what this altar signifies before you start each day. In this way what it signifies is the Buddha, Dharma, Sangha and by tending to it, you are reminded that they way we practice is to always tend and care for what is in front of us.

Gassho,

Bill (Daiman)
    Sat Today/LAH

Actually, thinking about this again. I also use my altar to place my beads overnight. Whenever I place them there in an evening or take them in a morning, I use this as a chance to take a little bow after. I have also recently added striking the bell on the altar before I pick them up/put them down. This is literally a 5 second ritual a couple of times a day but find it helps remind me of my intentions.