Thread: Oct. 21st-22nd Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - Softening Bad Karma

Oct. 21st-22nd Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - Softening Bad Karma

Today's Zazen Talk will refer to these words of Master Keizan from his Denkoroku:

It is said that the evil causes of past kalpas are sure to result in the experience of heavy suffering in the future, but by the power of cultivation in one’s present life one receives a lightening of it. Perhaps you are tormented by illness, or perhaps affairs do not go in accordance with your wishes, or perhaps when you speak you are treated as insignificant by others. These are all cases of future heavy suffering that is being received more lightly in your present life. Therefore, you should rely even more on the power of cultivating the buddha-dharma. Karmic recompense for things done in the far distant past are sure to be lightened, if only one is courageous and strives vigorously. ... [P]erhaps you get a bad name, or perhaps your enterprises do not go in accordance with your hopes, and your body too is not healthy. If so, think of it as heavy [retribution] that has shifted so that you receive a lightening of it. ...

Furthermore ... This karma arises from delusion. The “delusion” mentioned here is hating or loving that which should not be hated or loved, and regarding as “is or is not” that which should not be affirmed or negated. ... If you wish to gain sight of the original mind, cast off your myriad affairs, put all karmic involvements to rest, do not think of good or evil, focus your eyes on the tip of your nose for a while, and observe your original mind. At the moment when your entire mind is tranquil, with all its characteristics exhausted and its fundamental root of ignorance destroyed, the branches and leaves of karmic recompense will instantly cease to exist.

Bodhidharma said something similar in his Two Entrances and Four Practices:

When the practitioner of Buddhist spiritual training experiences suffering, he should think to himself: ... My present suffering constitutes the fruition of my past crimes and karma, rather than anything bequeathed to me from any heavenly or human being. I shall accept it patiently and contentedly, without complaint. ... Since success and failure depend on circumstances, the mind should remain unchanged. It should be unmoved even by the winds of good fortune ...Therefore, this is called the practice of acceptance of circumstances.

Please sit our Treeleaf Zazenkai for 90 minutes with Zazen, Heart Sutra and more:

10am Japan Saturday morning, NY 9pm, LA 6pm Friday night, London 2am and Paris 3am Saturday morning, or any time thereafter here:

However, "one way" live sitters are encouraged to come into the Zoom sitting, and just leave the camera and microphone turned off: Join live (with or without a camera & microphone) on Zoom at: TREELEAF Now OR at DIRECT ZOOM LINK, password (if needed): dogen

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 VERSE OF ATONEMENT & FOUR VOWS
    01:30 - 01:45(?) Informal Tea Time (All Welcome)

ATTENTION: Everyone, when rising for Kinhin or Ceremonies after Zazen, get up slowly, don't rush, hold something stable, you won't be "late," so TAKE YOUR TIME! Make sure you are careful getting up!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLah

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

Chant Book is here for those who wish to join in: CHANT BOOK LINK

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093

I also recommend a little Talk on why small rituals and procedures are so cherished in the Zendo:

SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: Small Things in the Zendo

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...s-in-the-Zendo
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-22-2022 at 12:39 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Will see you all later!

Sat
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Our Ino today will be Kokuu, also leaping through time and space ...

Gassho, J

stlah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Wonderful to sit with you all yesterday. The ino experiment was a success, thank you Kokuu!

Gassho,

Bokugan
    SatToday LaH
    墨眼 | Bokugan | Sumi Ink Eye
    Ryan-S | zazenlibrarian.com

Thanks for this,

Gasshō

Mags / Kyū-Shin

Thank you everyone!

Gassho
    Kantai
    SatLah

Thank you, Jundo, Kokuu, and everyone, for this Zazenkai.
    And speaking of lemons and lemonade, I like to say a little different: if life gives you limes, grab a cachaça, sugar, and make some caipirinha.
    A great week to all.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Satlah
    怠努 (Tai Do) - Lazy Effort
    (also known as Mateus )

禅戒一如 (Zen Kai Ichi Nyo) - Zazen and the Precepts are One!

Thank you everyone. I sat with you this morning.

Lovely to hear your chanting Kokuu. Wonderful talk Jundo.

Thank you everyone for your practice

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

Thank you everyone!
    Gassho, Kiri
    Sat/Lah

Στάλθηκε από το SM-T510 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk
    希 rare
    理 principle
    (Nikolas)

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Thank you everyone.
    Another wonderful and timely talk.
    Loving these time travelling Inos !

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Thank you everyone!

Gassho,
    Kotei sat(this) today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Thank you all. Apologies for my over-fast performing of the bells and chanting. Ino work is not my strongest suit but I will endeavour to improve before next time.

Gassho
    Kokuu

I finally came around to sit with you all today. Thank you, everyone, and Jundo, for the talk.

Gassho,
    Markus
    SatLah