Thread: Oct. 14th-15th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - The Meaning of "At Home"

Oct. 14th-15th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - The Meaning of "At Home"

We will be dancing our Heart Sutra today (see below in this thread)

Please sit our Treeleaf Zazenkai for 90 minutes with Zazen, Heart Sutra and more:

10am Japan Saturday morning, NY 9pm, LA 6pm Friday night, London 2am and Paris 3am Saturday morning, or any time thereafter here:

However, "one way" live sitters are encouraged to come into the Zoom sitting, and just leave the camera and microphone turned off: Join live (with or without a camera & microphone) on Zoom at: TREELEAF Now OR at DIRECT ZOOM LINK, password (if needed): dogen

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 VERSE OF ATONEMENT & FOUR VOWS
    01:30 - 01:45(?) Informal Tea Time (All Welcome)

ATTENTION: Everyone, when rising for Kinhin or Ceremonies after Zazen, get up slowly, don't rush, hold something stable, you won't be "late," so TAKE YOUR TIME! Make sure you are careful getting up!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLah

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

Chant Book is here for those who wish to join in: CHANT BOOK LINK

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093

I also recommend a little Talk on why small rituals and procedures are so cherished in the Zendo:

SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: Small Things in the Zendo

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...s-in-the-Zendo
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-14-2022 at 01:20 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

We will be dancing our Heart Sutra today, we haven't done that for awhile ...

Everyone, please join in and Shake your Buddha Thang!

This version is by the "Okyo (Sutra) Girls" ...

It seems to be new, and I don't find much more information about them. Kind of a 'Cosplay Hannya' ...

... Yes, maybe a little strange ... but this is Japan.

Gassho, J

stlah
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-14-2022 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    dance
    Will do

Gassho,
    koushi
    STLaH
    理道弘志 | Ridō Koushi

Please take this novice priest-in-training's words with a grain of salt.

Oh yeah! Can’t wait!!!

Sat Today lah
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

I'm looking forward to dancing with the recording of the zazenkai. Tonight I'm going to bed early as I'm feeling the effects of the bi-valent COVID shot I had yesterday.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Onkai View Post
    I'm looking forward to dancing with the recording of the zazenkai. Tonight I'm going to bed early as I'm feeling the effects of the bi-valent COVID shot I had yesterday.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat lah
    Feel better soon!

Sat Today lah
    Bion
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Quote Originally Posted by Onkai View Post

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat lah
    Hope you won’t feel poorly for long, Onkai. That one plus the flu shot knocked me down for a few days.
    Thank you all. Jundo, thank you for the delightful teaching.
    Gassho,
    Naiko
    st lah

Lovely Zazenkai. Speaking of home. I am really feeling at home at Treeleaf. Thank you all for being such a welcoming sangha.

When Jundo referred to me as Diamond, Neil Diamond. I missed my opportunity to jump into a Neil Diamond song. And, with our dancing Heart Sutra tonight I thought of a new Neil Diamond song. Forever in Treeleaf (to the tune of Forever in Blue Jeans) “Zazen talks, and it can sing and dance and it can walk and as long as I can have you at zazenkai with me, I’d much rather be forever in Treeleaf babe.”

Gassho,

Bill (Daiman)
    Sat Today/LAH
    Last edited by Daiman; 10-15-2022 at 03:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daiman View Post
    Lovely Zazenkai. Speaking of home. I am really feeling at home at Treeleaf. Thank you all for being such a welcoming sangha.

When Jundo referred to me as Diamond, Neil Diamond. I missed my opportunity to jump into a Neil Diamond song. And, with our dancing Heart Sutra tonight I thought of a new Neil Diamond song. Forever in Treeleaf (to the tune of Forever in Blue Jeans) “Zazen talks, and it can sing and dance and it can walk and as long as I can have you at zazenkai with me, I’d much rather be forever in Treeleaf babe.”

Gassho,

Bill (Daiman)
    Sat Today/LAH
    You watch out now! Jundo might just have you sing something when you least expect it! See you tomorrow for 🪡

Sat Today lah
    Bion

Had to leave early but finished sitting with you all this morning. Thank you everyone so much for your practice and community

Gassho,
    Bokugan
    SatToday
    墨眼 | Bokugan | Sumi Ink Eye
    Ryan-S | zazenlibrarian.com

Thank you everyone!
    Gassho, Kiri
    Sat/Lah
    希 rare
    理 principle
    (Nikolas)

Thank you everyone!

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/danced today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Sat and Danced with you all today!

Gassho,
    Markus
    Sat/lah

Thank you, Jundo, Bion, and everybody for this week's Zazenkai.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Satlah
    怠努 (Tai Do) - Lazy Effort
    (also known as Mateus )

禅戒一如 (Zen Kai Ichi Nyo) - Zazen and the Precepts are One!

Wonderful to sit with you all. One of my dogs was thoroughly unimpressed with my dancing, but c'est la vie.

Gassho,
    Shujin

Thank you everyone. I sat and danced with all of you this morning. Thank you for being good housemates.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

I found the person behind the Heart Sutra music video, a Shingon priest, Genju, who is also a dance teacher. She wrote, when I shared our ceremony video with her:

Thank you for your inviting and share our song�� Your zazen session is awesome, I respect your activities.

tsuku.jpg

Gassho, J

stlah

I found the person behind the Heart Sutra music video, a Shingon priest, Genju, who is also a dance teacher. She wrote, when I shared our ceremony video with her:

tsuku.jpg

Gassho, J

stlah
    That is lovely!

Sat Today lah
    Bion

I enjoyed sitting with you all yesterday. Had to leave early, but glad I was able to dance along.

Gassho
    Sat, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

tsuku.jpg

Gassho, J

stlah
    By the way, Genju's Facebook page says this ...

"I am Genju, a priest of the Shingon sect. I am working to spread the "consciousness only" (唯識) of Buddhism. I want to save children, protect their energetic power ��Inheriting the thoughts of Xuanzang��(玄奘) The truth of Buddhism gives energy to the future of children, " https://www.facebook.com/pink.upper
    I believe that the Xuanzang to which she refers is the famous translator of Sutras into Chinese in the 7th century, who allowed Buddhism and Sutra to spread to new places in that way. https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E7%8E%84%E5%A5%98

Gassho, J

stlah
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-21-2022 at 12:08 AM.

Lovely! Thank you all for sitting and wonderful that Jundo found the person responsible for the video!

Gassho
    Kokuu

Sat with this today, catching up.
    Thank you all at home and all who travels along

Gassho
    Kantai

SatLah

Thank you, Jundo, Bion, and everyone. I finally danced and practiced with this zazenkai. It was lovely.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    sat lah
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-23-2022 at 02:03 AM.
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Hi peeps.

Bit late signing off on this one but completed on demand a few days after the live show.
    Wonderful talk and a refreshing Heart Sutra.
    Those Okyo Girls certainly have a different spin on Maka Hannya Haramita Shin Gyo but it was a wonderful experience. No offence to our Inos who are equally wonderful, especially the new time travellers.

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart