Thread: Oct. 7th-8th, 2022 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI - Menzan in the Mirror

Oct. 7th-8th, 2022 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI - Menzan in the Mirror

Today's Talk will reflect on

Mirror Mind by Master Menzan
    from his Jijuyu--Zanmai

(text below in this thread)

Please sit our Monthly 4-Hour Treeleaf Zazenkai netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 7pm to 11pm, Los Angeles 4pm to 8pm (Friday night), London midnight to 4am and Paris 1am to 5am (early Saturday morning)), and also sitable any time thereafter:

However, "one way" live sitters are encouraged to come into the Zoom sitting, and just leave the camera and microphone turned off: Join live (with or without a camera & microphone) on Zoom at: TREELEAF Now OR at DIRECT ZOOM LINK, password (if needed): dogen

Dharma Talk Audio / Podcast Episode:
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...l=1#post311119

The Sitting Schedule is as follows:

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA IN JAPANESE / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
    01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN & HOKEY-POKEY RITUAL

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
    03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING
    ATTENTION: Everyone, when rising for Kinhin or Ceremonies after Zazen, get up slowly, don't rush, hold something stable, you won't be "late," so TAKE YOUR TIME! Make sure you are careful getting up!

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

Chant Book is here for those who wish to join in: CHANT BOOK LINK

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093

I also recommend a little Talk on why small rituals and procedures are so cherished in the Zendo:

SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: Small Things in the Zendo

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...s-in-the-Zendo

Last edited by Jundo; 10-07-2022 at 02:56 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Today we will reflect on the 'Mirror Mind by Master Menzan' ....

Menzan Zuihō (面山瑞方, 1683-1769) was a Japanese Sōtō Zen scholar and priest during the Tokugawa era. Menzan was the most influential Sōtō Zen writer of his time and his work continue to influence Sōtō Zen scholarship and practice today, especially regarding his interpretations and rediscovery of the works of Dōgen Zenji. Menzan was also involved in lecturing to the public and teaching laymen and laywomen meditation practice. One of his most famous works, the Buddha Samadhi (Jijuyu Zanmai) is addressed to laypeople and focuses on the teachings of Dōgen. We look at his presentation in Jijuyu Zanmai of "Mirror Mind," a lovely presentation of the mind of Zazen.

~~~~~~~~~

Practice-enlightenment beyond unen (thought) and munen (no-thought) can be compared to the function of a mirror. A mirror reflects both beautiful and ugly things without distinguishing them. This is the natural function of a mirror. But the reflection, which may be beautiful or ugly, is not the mirror itself. The reflection is just a shadow of what is in front of the mirror. If you only see the distinction between the good and evil of unen (thought) and think it is your original mind, it is the same as if you were to grasp the reflection in the mirror and think it to be the mirror itself. This is a mistake. This analogy admonishes you not to get caught up in the distraction of thoughts. And yet, if you think that munen (no-thought) is your real mind and become attached to the condition
    of no-thought where neither good nor evil arises, it is the same as thinking that where no reflection exists is the mirror itself, and thus becoming attached to the backside of the mirror. If the mirror reflects nothing, it is the same as if it were a piece of stone or tile, the function of the light of the mirror is lost. This analogy admonishes you not to get caught up in dullness or muki (no good, no evil, no-thought, that which is neither good nor evil, but neutral). As you know, neither the reflection nor the backside of the mirror is the essential function of the mirror which, like that of the light, illuminates itself clearly. You must realize that the Buddha’s wisdom, like a great and perfect mirror, is far beyond the dichotomy of thought and no-thought.

For example, when you sit in zazen, if your mind does not arise and function, and if you do not see anything, hear anything, or feel any pain or itchiness, you just stagnate in emptiness. On the contrary, if you see or hear something outside and think of it, or feel pain or itchiness, you just stagnate in the distraction caused by the dichotomy of subject and object. Both conditions are limited by delusory thoughts. Therefore, the Third Ancestor (Master Sengcan in the Xinxin Ming) said, “Neither follow after objects, nor dwell in emptiness.” You must study this point closely and understand clearly. Just illuminating color, shape and
    sound, etc., and not adding any discrimination, is the Buddha’s wisdom.

The analogy of the mirror, however, is not perfect. Generally, we use analogies for making it easier to grasp reality by comparing it to something similar, because we are unable to show reality itself directly. You should understand that analogies are useful as far as they go, but that they do not show reality as a whole. For example, when you are asked what the sun is like by a person who was born blind, you might show him a metal basin to enable him to understand that the shape of the sun is round and say that the sun is like this. The person may hit the basin and say, “Aha! The sun makes a good sound.” You have to be very careful not to misinterpret analogies, or you will go astray. I use the analogy of the mirror just to show the relationship among nenki (arising-mind, thought), munen (no-thought), and the light beyond thought and no-thought. This analogy cannot be applied to the other details, since the mirror and the reflections of either beauty or ugliness are separate, and reflections are caused by the objects in front of the mirror. But, when our mind arises, good, evil, hatred, love whatever, are not separate from our own mind. Nothing comes from outside. The original light and our thoughts are not two. This is why I said that the analogy of the mirror was not perfect.

~~~~

We must closely examine the so-called human mind. The human mind manifests as anger, ignorance, or greed. These three poisonous minds may be divided into good and evil. When they work in evil ways, anger brings about hell, ignorance brings about the realm of animals, and greed brings about the realm of hungry ghosts. ... When the mind does not function, the condition is known as muki (neutral). If you are attached to this condition, you will leave these three worlds or six realms of transmigration, and become a non-Buddhist or a Hinayana practitioner. You will never be able to attain buddhahood. This is because the attitudes of such people are all limited by the emotions and thoughts of illusory mind.

The one-mind which manifests either as unen (thought) or munen (no-thought: -not good, not evil) must be something which is beyond these conditions. It must be the light which illuminates everywhere and is never clouded. As soon as you become clearly aware of this light, you will be released from the limitation of delusory thoughts, and the Buddha’s wisdom will be realized. This is called nehanmyo--shin (the marvelous mind in Nirvana). This is nothing other than jijuyu--zanmai. Shakyamuni’s six years of sitting, Bodhidharma’s nine years of facing the wall, (Dogen's Teacher) Zen master Tendo-Nyojo' ’s Shikantaza; all are examples of the practice-enlightenment of this samadhi.

By the way, if you would like more mirror reflections, Tricycle published some of my reflections recently ...

Mind as Mirror
    The mirror’s light and clarity holds and reflects the shapes of whatever comes.
    By Jundo Cohen

https://tricycle.org/article/mind-as-mirror-zazen/

also available here:
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...Mind-as-Mirror
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-07-2022 at 02:42 AM.

Since we are reflecting on mirrors, today we will dance the mirror version of the Hokey Pokey ... the Yekop Yehoh ...

Last edited by Jundo; 10-07-2022 at 02:25 AM.

Our great experiment continues, inviting Kotei as our Ino-Doan today from another time and place ...

Our Opening Service:

The Verse of Atonement and Four Vows:

Gassho, J

stlah
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-07-2022 at 02:32 AM.

Thank you everyone. I snuck in the back door during the second half and sat with you all live last night. I’ll catch up with the first half via recording later this weekend.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

!enoyreve uoy knahT

Sat in reverse

Gassho
    Kantai

SatLah

Sat one-way with everyone last night thanks to some IT issues, thank you all

Gassho,
    koushi
    STLaH
    理道弘志 | Ridō Koushi

Please take this novice priest-in-training's words with a grain of salt.

Hi Jundo

I just reread the material from your dharma talk. It seems that Menzan Zuihō’s works are very critical to our practice. Why aren’t his writings more emphasized in our practice?

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Quote Originally Posted by Tairin View Post
    Hi Jundo

I just reread the material from your dharma talk. It seems that Menzan Zuihō’s works are very critical to our practice. Why aren’t his writings more emphasized in our practice?

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    He is very influential, and his interpretations and presentation of Master Dogen are very important. Do you mean, why have not more things that he personally wrote been translated into English? Much of his influence was on how monastic training is conducted, although he was also influential in presenting Soto Zen to non-monastic folks. You can read a little more about him and his influence here:

https://terebess.hu/zen/menzan.html

.. including this scholarly treatment:

https://terebess.hu/zen/mesterek/menzan.pdf

He wrote a book on Master Tosui that is available in English as well.

Gassho, Jundo

stlah

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    He is very influential, and his interpretations and presentation of Master Dogen are very important. Do you mean, why have not more things that he personally wrote been translated into English? Much of his influence was on how monastic training is conducted, although he was also influential in presenting Soto Zen to non-monastic folks. You can read a little more about him and his influence here:

https://terebess.hu/zen/menzan.html

.. including this scholarly treatment:

https://terebess.hu/zen/mesterek/menzan.pdf

He wrote a book on Master Tosui that is available in English as well.

Gassho, Jundo

stlah
    Thank you Jundo. Yes I was looking to learn more about Menzan and his influence on our practice.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

Thank you everyone, and thank you Jundo for a beautiful talk!
    Gassho, Kiri
    Sat/Lah
    希 rare
    理 principle
    (Nikolas)

Great talk today, I was definitely having one of those days where I couldn't focus, my dog was barking non stop almost the entire four hours, my back hurt and my head just wasn't in the game...this talk was perfect for the day.

The backwards Hokey Pokey had me in stitches! That was great fun!

Gassho,
    SatLah
    Kelly

This talk was very timely for me. I had been wrestling with the phrase "to free all sentient beings" from our vows. I had a difficulty seeing how our practices did anything to benefit others. Our activities seemed focused on individual, personal development, I felt there had to be something "more". This talk reminded me to stop grasping, stop labeling, stop judging and start just seeing and accepting everything just as it is. If an opportunity to help others presents itself, fine. But, if not, that's fine also.

Gassho

Zenkon

sat/lah

Thank you for the talk and for sitting together, everyone.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sta/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Thank you, Jundo, Kotei, Bion and everyone for this Zazenkai.
    It's very good to know about Master Menzan and all he did for Soto Zen - his writing is clear and to the point; sometimes he seemed like a modern zen teacher and not someone from the 18th century.
    I loved the way we recited the Metta Verses: it changed something inside compared to our usual order of recitation.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Satlah
    怠努 (Tai Do) - Lazy Effort
    (also known as Mateus )

禅戒一如 (Zen Kai Ichi Nyo) - Zazen and the Precepts are One!

Thank you all! Lovely talk, Jundo.

The backwards hokey poke was ghastly...

Gassho
    Kokuu

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Sat on demand throughout the week. Very inspiring talk.
    Thank you everyone.

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Finished sitting with this on demand yesterday. Yesterday was my birthday and I celebrated it by sitting with Shokai in the morning, Bion in the afternoon. Sitting with this zazenkai on demand in the afternoon and then sitting this week's zazenkai in the evening. So, essentially for my birthday this year I gave myself a present by being in the present.

This reminder of the powerful message in Jijuyu Zanmai was wonderful. It had been some time since I had read this. I went back and read over the text again. There is a digital copy of this within a free publication from the sotoshu found here https://www.sotozen.com/eng/library/...art_of_Zen.pdf

I went back to the original publication that I had. IMG_4868 copy.jpg. On my birthday I had been thinking of my mother a lot and this reminded me that I got this book when on a visit to San Francisco with my mother who past away last summer. She wanted to take me to the Soto temple in SF. When I went there and told them I was currently studying with Dai-En Bennage, they gave me this book along with a couple of others. All very meaningful. Thank you for bringing me back to this important teaching and this wonderful memory.

Sorry so long.

Gassho,

Bill (Daiman)

Sat Today.

Quote Originally Posted by Daiman View Post
    Finished sitting with this on demand yesterday. Yesterday was my birthday and I celebrated it by sitting with Shokai in the morning ...
    Happy (Non)-Birthday, Daiman. Fortunately, we Zen folks do not quite believe in passing time.

Plus, every moment within a moment is a new birthday for all of us, and every blade of grass is our birthday too.

NON-

Gassho, J

stlah

Thanks Jundo.
    Gassho
    Daiman
    Sat and sewed today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk