Thread: Sept. 16-17th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - Is the Universe Beautiful and Good?

Sept. 16-17th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - Is the Universe Beautiful and Good?

Please sit our Treeleaf Zazenkai for 90 minutes with Zazen, Heart Sutra and more:

10am Japan Saturday morning, NY 9pm, LA 6pm Friday night, London 2am and Paris 3am Saturday morning, or any time thereafter here:

However, "one way" live sitters are encouraged to come into the Zoom sitting, and just leave the camera and microphone turned off: Join live (with or without a camera & microphone) on Zoom at: TREELEAF Now OR at DIRECT ZOOM LINK, password (if needed): dogen

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 VERSE OF ATONEMENT & FOUR VOWS
    01:30 - 01:45(?) Informal Tea Time (All Welcome)

ATTENTION: Everyone, when rising for Kinhin or Ceremonies after Zazen, get up slowly, don't rush, hold something stable, you won't be "late," so TAKE YOUR TIME! Make sure you are careful getting up!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLah

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

Chant Book is here for those who wish to join in: CHANT BOOK LINK

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093

I also recommend a little Talk on why small rituals and procedures are so cherished in the Zendo:

SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: Small Things in the Zendo

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...s-in-the-Zendo
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-16-2022 at 07:36 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Looking forward to this, as usual! Mokugyo and bells ready. Thanks, Jundo!

Sat lah
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Lovely as always to sit with you all.

Bion, thank you for your Ino work today.

Gassho,
    Nengyoku
    Sat
    Thank you for being the warmth in my world.

Thank you, Jundo, Bion, and everyone. My mind is boggled by the talk (in a good way). I will look at the forest and the trees, but still struggle to experience myself as the universe. I feel for others, but the identification isn't complete.

Sorry for running over three sentences.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Thank you all! Love you much!

Sat Today lah
    Bion
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Thankyou everyone. Sat on catch up.

Paul
    Sat, LAH

Thank you all!
    Gassho, Kiri
    Sat/Lah
    希 rare
    理 principle
    (Nikolas)

Thank you Jundo, Bion and everybody for this Weekly Zazenkai.
    As always, sat with you all across space and time.

Mateus
    Satlah
    怠努 (Tai Do) - Lazy Effort
    (also known as Mateus )

禅戒一如 (Zen Kai Ichi Nyo) - Zazen and the Precepts are One!

Thank you Jundo, Bion, and everyone. Lovely to sit with everyone last night

Metta to you and your family during this hard time, Sekishi

Gassho,

Bokugan
    SatToday
    墨眼 | Bokugan | Sumi Ink Eye
    Ryan-S | zazenlibrarian.com

Yesterday at Zanzenkai, during the first three bows, I did three full prostrations. Is this okay to do? I see in the instructional video that this is only a deep standing bow. I take it that this is what I should be doing. The full prostrations are what I am used to doing in another Soto tradition, so I will have to change this. Also, at the end, I notice there are no full prostrations as I am used to also. Thank you in advance for clarification of this.

Gassho,

Bill (Wondo)

Sat Today
    Last edited by Daiman; 09-18-2022 at 12:05 AM.

Sept. 16-17th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - Is the Universe Beautiful and Good?

Quote Originally Posted by Wondo View Post
    Yesterday at Zanzenkai, during the first three bows, I did three full prostrations. Is this okay to do? I see in the instructional video that this is only a deep standing bow. I take it that this is what I should be doing. The full prostrations are what I am used to doing in another Soto tradition, so I will have to change this. Also, at the end, I notice there are no full prostrations as I am used to also. Thank you in advance for clarification of this.

Gassho,

Bill (Wondo)
    I usually do three prostrations as well! I look at it this way: if I am physically able to and feel so inclined, I will respectfully prostrate. We have folks who can’t offer but a deep bow or a gassho, because of physical limitations, and that is no less than a full prostration in my book, in those circumstances, and I am sure that’s how Jundo feels as well. I learned from him

Sat Today lah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bion; 09-17-2022 at 06:44 PM.
    Bion

Quote Originally Posted by Bion View Post
    I usually do three prostrations as well! I look at it this way: if I am physically able to and feel so inclined, I will respectfully prostrate. We have folks who can’t offer but a deep bow or a gassho, because of physical limitations, and that is no less than a full prostration in my book, in those circumstances, and I am sure that’s how Jundo feels as well. I learned from him

Sat Today lah

Bion,

Thank you friend. Thank you for your clarification. Do we do three at the end as well? I respect that no matter how it is physically done, with the right intention it is always a full bow
    Gassho,
    Bill
    Sat Today
    Last edited by Daiman; 09-18-2022 at 12:04 AM.

Bion,

Thank you friend. Thank you for your clarification. Do we do three at the end as well? I respect that no matter how it is physically done, with the right intention it is always a full bow
    Well, our ceremonies are a bit simpler than your standard Soto-shu in some ways, so for zazenkai there’s really just two sets of bows or prostrations: at the beginning after the incense offering and then after the eko (dedication of merit) hope I’m not forgetting anything I was looking for you during zazenkai but couldn’t see you!!

Sat Today lah
    Bion

Bion, So I can do three full at the beginning and three at the end? I was there, William McCracken is my name.

Gassho,
    Bill
    Sat Today
    Last edited by Daiman; 09-18-2022 at 12:03 AM.

Bion, So I can do three full at the beginning and three at the end? I was there, William McCracken is my name.
    I usually do them Especially if I am wearing the okesa. Jundo will reply to you, I am sure. I just wanted to share with you what I do.

Sat Today lah
    Bion

Thank you everyone!

Gassho
    Kantai
    Sat

Quote Originally Posted by Bion View Post

Sat Today lah

That's right. If you wish to fully Prostrate, then please do. But we really do not measure the depth of the physical bow as much as the sincerity of feeling in the heart.

We do tend to be minimalists of ceremony, and simplifiers of things down to the heart, around here.

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you everyone. I sat with all of you this morning.

Lovely talk Jundo. It meant a lot to me today.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

Reflecting back on this week's Zazenkai and re-reading through The Zen Master's Dance (doing my best to keep my commitment of re-reading this during Ango), I came across this passage where the theme of Zazenkai and the dance intersect again

I like to remind people that, when they smile or cry, it is the whole universe smiling and crying. So take care of what is before you. This is where practice begins and where enlightenment is made real and brought to life. Each small act that you do, if appreciated as sacred and complete, is thoroughly undertaken as the whole universe.~ Jundo -The Zen Master's Dance
    Such a beautiful reminder that right here in this place and this time is where the whole universe manifests, it is not some other place. Only here, only now. "The happy places and sad places..." as Jundo goes on to say. Like Barry Magid has said that if our human lives are like the blooming of a lotus flower, we need the mud in order to grow and flourish. We cannot get there by some water purification process.

Gassho,

Bill

Sat Today/LAH

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Thank you everyone.

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

That's right. If you wish to fully Prostrate, then please do. But we really do not measure the depth of the physical bow as much as the sincerity of feeling in the heart.

We do tend to be minimalists of ceremony, and simplifiers of things down to the heart, around here.
    A short bow to that, thank you Jundo

Gassho, Tomás
    Sat&LaH

Lovely! Thank you all!

Gassho
    Kokuu