Thread: Book Recommendations?

Book Recommendations?

I am sorry if this topic is already covered here on another page. Can anyone recommend books that would be especially suitable to create a Sōtō Zen section in the chaplaincy library of a UK university?
    The chaplaincy library is available to chaplains, all staff and students.

Thank you

Gasshō
    Seiko
    stlah
    Gandō Seiko
    頑道清光
    (Stubborn Way of Pure Light)

My street name is 'Al'.

Any words I write here are merely the thoughts of an apprentice priest, just my opinions, that's all.

Hi Seiko,
    Have you seen this list of recommended reading? It might be useful for your needs. https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...ed-Books-Media
    Gassho,
    Naiko
    st
    Last edited by Naiko; 09-08-2022 at 01:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Naiko View Post
    Hi Seiko,
    Have you seen this list of recommended reading? It might be useful for need. https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...ed-Books-Media
    Gassho,
    Naiko
    st
    That's what I would recommend.

Gassho, J

stlah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I don't know if this will be worth following up but John Danvers is Buddhist Chaplain at Exeter University.
    j.danvers@exeter.ac.uk

He also runs Exeter Meditation Circle and is in the secular camp while still practising zazen.

Gassho
    M
    sat

Hello,

“Hua-yen Buddhism: The Jewel Net of Indra”, by Francis H. Cook. It is not on the list, but has been recommended elsewhere here.

Gassho,
    Gareth

Sat today, Lah

Quote Originally Posted by bad_buddha_007 View Post
    Hello,

“Hua-yen Buddhism: The Jewel Net of Indra”, by Francis H. Cook. It is not on the list, but has been recommended elsewhere here.

Gassho,
    Gareth

Sat today, Lah
    Not a Zen book, and not a Soto Zen book, but an amazing book about a corner of Mahayana Buddhism that was tremendously influential on the development of Zen.

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Not a Zen book, and not a Soto Zen book, but an amazing book about a corner of Mahayana Buddhism that was tremendously influential on the development of Zen.

Gassho, J

STLah
    This was actually the first book you recommended when I joined Tree Leaf.I'm going to read it again because I think it will resonate at a much deeper level now.
    At a connected level have just bought Carlo Rovelli's book 'Helgoland - The strange and Beautiful Story of Quantum Physics' . Just about every new book I read now at the level of neuroscience, physics, etc is based upon 'relational interpretation' and the interdependence of all things. It's as though the Western World has taken centuries to grasp the insights of Eastern philosophy and understand that these insights are not mere different world views but universal.

Gassho

Jinyo

Sat Today