Thread: [Ecodharma]. Ecodharma and Ango commitments

[Ecodharma]. Ecodharma and Ango commitments

I’ve been thinking about my Ango commitments and I’d like to add something meaningful related to Ecodharma but I am not sure what. I am open to suggestions. Also if anyone would like to buddy up on an Ango/Ecodharma related support group that would be great too

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Hi Tairin

How about one letter to a politician/political party, corporation or other organisation every week (or two weeks or every month) on an environmental issue?

We can all give up things but I think at this point pushing for political and corporate change makes more sense.

Gassho
    Kokuu

I had thought to relate the 16 Precepts we study with the 16 Core Dharma Principles to Address Climate Change in Appendix 2, but undertaking some actions, as Kokuu suggested, might be an interesting samu practice. A couple of days ago, I asked the people that own the building where I live if they would consider installing an electric vehicle charging station and I told them about the state subsidies available, and we discussed new legislation promoting EVs. Although they aren’t ready to do that right now, I could see they would be thinking about it. It was a bit outside my comfort zone to do this, but I want to speak out more often.
    Gassho,
    Naiko
    st lah

Thank you Tairin and Naiko for your practice.

Doshin
    St

Lovely suggestions Kokuu and Naiko. This is what I was looking for. Something actionable to add to my Ango commitments.

I think for this year I will focus on writing letters. Here in Canada we have three levels of government: Locally a mayor and councillor, provincially a Premier and MPP, and federally a Prime Minister and MP. I will create letters to all six.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

That's a good idea, Tairin - maybe this could be a platform where we could discuss the precepts through an environmental lens?

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah

I've been writing e-letters for several years (and phone calls, sometimes), but after reading Kokuu's post, I could focus more on this.

Thank you for the suggestions in this thread.

Gassho2
    st-lh

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

We recently discovered that our trash company was taking the recycling in the same truck as the trash (not a split back truck to do such things). After waiting forever to speak to the trash company they would not admit that they were doing this. In changing trash companies, and speaking to the new company which does separate trash and recycling, I discovered that Maryland has such strict recycling policies that some trash companies are not collecting recycling anymore. We are going to work on seeing who to speak to about this in the community and to find a way to allow others with the fraudulent trash company know what is going on and perhaps we can make a community effort to get things cleaned up as it were.

Gassho,

Wondo

Sat Today

Sadly, I have learned that in many communities, recycling is just a façade. There is also not enough public education on what exactly should be getting into the recycling bin, causing the recycling centers to have to repair machinery more often-- making recycling more expensive and less viable for their business model. And then there's the fact that China is no longer buying our recycling... which wasn't good in the first place because we were essentially just moving it somewhere else for profit.

Gassho
    Sat, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Some cities, including mine, gave up on the recycle for a couple years, and resorted to burning it. Yet we were still expected to put out recycle each week.

I have shifted focus from recycles vs 'trash' and try to focus instead on 'do I really need it' (what's it made of?), and taking to heart the old adage, "reduce / reuse" and recycle by reducing and multi-purposing packaging, bags, containers, bottles and such. That's just what I do, though. Changing my diet also helped because it uses very little packaging or plastic now. This all is part of my Ango practice as well, as it is a work in progress.

I would love to try "zero-waste", but haven't the means or capacity for such a major change yet.

Gassho
    stlh

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

recycling is a big issue here in Belgium and things are collected separate: paper, plastic/metals/drinkpacs are collected once in two weeks, compostable stuff every week and what rests every week too.

i always try to use as less plastic as possible and part of my ango commitments (sharpen up things) i am even more serious about it..
    i am not on zero-waste yet, but i do what i can

aprapti

sat

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment