Thread: About the Heart Sutra (Hannya Shingyo)

About the Heart Sutra (Hannya Shingyo)

Dear All,

It is said that we study certain texts such as the Heart Sutra for their pointers on Wisdom and Emptiness, then place the text down to throw our "self" into the sound and movement of reciting the Heart Sutra in order to embody this Wisdom and Emptiness, losing and finding oneself again.

My Dharma Brother, Peter Rocca, relates this story about Nishijima Roshi, our Teacher:

Gudo Nishijima didn't do any chanting at his meetings or retreats. He preferred to just stick to zazen and afterwards give a talk and answer questions. Sometimes someone would ask why there was no chanting. Nishijima usually answered that he liked to follow Master Dogen’s ideas on Buddhism, and he felt Dogen didn’t particularly recommend us to chant as part of Buddhist practice. If he was pressed a bit on the subject, Nishijima would quote something or other Dogen wrote about chanting that indicated his preference for zazen. If you've read the Shobogenzo a bit you might have come across one or two passages on the subject.

But there are always exceptions. In Nishijima’s case, the exception to his chanting policy was the Heart Sutra. He used to chant this once each day after early morning zazen at his dojo. I was a bit surprised the first time I heard him chanting the Heart Sutra, because I'd listened to his opinion about chanting before. So afterwards I asked why he'd started to chant it. He told me that one time some Buddhist nuns stayed at his dojo for a while and they asked him if it would be okay to chant the Heart Sutra in the morning. He agreed, and so they started to chant it together at his dojo each morning after zazen. After the nuns left, Nishijima decided to keep chanting it each morning.

Scholars generally believe that the Heart Sutra was first composed in China in Chinese, not in India, although as a short summary of the "Heart" and core Teachings of various longer "Perfection of Wisdom" Sutras found in India. The Japanese version we chant is actually in mixed Chinese-Japanese, i.e., in Chinese but with each Kanji character pronounced the Japanese, not Chinese, way. All the versions in English and other Western languages are translations, interpretations, of this Chinese-Japanese original, all correct in their way based on the stylistic sense and phrasing of the translators. In other words, there is no one "correct" English translation, and many fine ways to phrase the original to convey the same meanings.

Our Treeleaf version in English is based on a translation from the Maezumi Roshi Lineage which I adapted from one of my mentors, the late Rev. Doshin Cantor. However, I made a few changes, primarily to explain the meaning of several untranslated terms in the original. For example, I added that Kannon Bodhisattva is the "Awakened One of Compassion," and that Prajna Paramita is the "Deep Practice of Perfect Wisdom." I also considered to change into English, as some Zen groups do, the phrases at the end, "Gate! Gate! Paragate! Parasamgate! Bodhi! Svaha!" These are sometimes wrongly taken to be a Mantra or Dharani, a kind of magical intonation or incantation which contains the power of the Heart Sutra. That is a mistake, for the actual "power" of the Heart Sutra, its true Mantra, is Prajna Paramita, i.e., realizing Emptiness, the Emptiness of division and self-nature, which is that which truly cures all human suffering. After some consideration, I decided to leave the "Gate Gate" portion in simple homage to our Indian roots, and because it is such a well known phrase in the Heart Sutra that many chanters appreciate to hear it in so many languages and versions. However, the most widely accepted meaning in English is the following, and I take the "Gate Gate" phrase to mean so, not anything more mysterious:

Gate! Gate! (Already Gone, Gone)
    Paragate! (Already Gone Beyond)
    Parasamgate! (Already Fully Beyond)
    Bodhi! Svaha! (Awakening, Rejoice)

I added "Already" to the above to convey the sense that, in the Perfection of Wisdom literature and the realization of Emptiness, all of us are already Enlightened, already "arrived at the other shore" of Enlightenment since the beginningless beginning, all along, although we may fail to realize so and, most importantly, fail to act accordingly. Likewise, question was raised to me about why our version states that Prajna Paramita (the realization of the Wisdom of Emptiness) is the "incomparable Mantra" by which all suffering is "clear," rather than "cleared" (or similar wordings, "relieved, removed, healed" or the like) as found in many other English translations. The reason is, again, as a reminder that in Emptiness, in truth, there has never been anything to "clear, relieve, remove or heal," no suffering from the startless start, and all is already "clear," even though we may not realize so in our ignorance right now. The realization of this Truth that has always been so, and is always present, is precisely what "clears, relieves, removes and heals" suffering.

Here is a traditional, formal recitation of the Heart Sutra (Hannya Shingyo 般若心経) in Japanese in the Soto Zen way:

A small point: I am sometimes asked why our chant of the Hannya Shingyo at Treeleaf begins with ...

Maka hannya haramitta shingyō

... rather than ...

Bussetsu Maka hannya haramitta shingyō

... as recited in some traditions. "Bussetsu" (仏説) literally means "As expounded by the Buddha." As you can hear at the 30 second mark of the video immediately above, in Soto-shu there is no "Bussetsu." As far as I know, only certain sects ... Shingon for one ... add the Bussetsu. You can hear that at the very start of this Shingon Buddhist version ...

Another small difference, in the first line, some recite ... "Kan ji zai bo SA gyo jin ..." and some recite "Kan ji zai bo SATSU gyo jin ... " (The Shingon version, above, clearly has "SA" at the 10 second mark.) As far as I know, even within Soto-shu, this varies lineage by lineage. The official Soto-shu chant book in phonetic "romaji" says "SA" (https://www.sotozen.com/eng/practice.../pdf/04/04.pdf) but this other official Soto-shu page (https://www.soto-kinki.net/sp/okyo/list_shingyo.php), in Hiragana, says "SATSU."

This gathering of 108 Soto-shu affiliated priests clearly "SATSU" at the 30 second mark, even though the subtitles clearly say "SA!!!"

At Treeleaf, well, I think we are also SATSU folks, with no BUSSETSU.

We've had a few Talks during Zazenkai looking at the Heart Sutra closely:

Heart Sutra - A Treeleaf Podcast Series
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...Podcast-Series

I - FEBRUARY 2021 ZAZENKAI TALK (THE ‘MISSING’ HEART SUTRA)
    (Audio only): https://treeleaf.podbean.com/e/march...g-heart-sutra/

(video from about 1:50:00 mark):

Accompanying text: https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...l=1#post280431

II - MARCH 2021 ZAZENKAI TALK (THE HEART SUTRA - Part II)
    (Audio only): https://treeleaf.podbean.com/e/march...g-heart-sutra/

Accompanying text: https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...l=1#post282011

III - APRIL 2021 ZAZENKAI TALK (THE HEART SUTRA - Part III)

Accompanying text: https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...l=1#post283426

IV - MAY 2021 ZAZENKAI TALK (THE HEART SUTRA - Part IV)

Accompanying text: https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...l=1#post284746

V - JULY 2021 ZAZENKAI TALK (THE HEART SUTRA - Part V)

Accompanying text: https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...l=1#post286579

VI - AUGUST 2021 ZAZENKAI TALK (THE HEART SUTRA - CLOSING - The Magic Power of the Heart Sutra!)

Accompanying text: https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...l=1#post287429

We sometimes dance the Heart Sutra during our Ceremonies (here, a great version by Gary Dyson, with his kind permission: https://garyazukx.bandcamp.com/track/heart-sutra

... and there are a variety of wonderful pop versions of the Heart Sutra in English and Japanese (here is a sample if you scroll down these two threads):

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...l=1#post262542
    and
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...Shin-Gyo-J-pop

Here are a few that I love (in an equanimious sort of way):

Amida meets Eminem:

The Hannya Tribal:

Beatbox Buddha:

The "Extreme Slap Bass Japanese Heart Sutra" ...

... and, of course, the classic Vocaloid Synth-Shingyo by Hatsune Miku:

My favorite traditional style for chanting has to be the Korean way:

Shakyo (Sutra Tracing) of the Heart Sutra in Japanese is a wonderful, calming and centering practice, even for folks who cannot read or write Chinese characters:

The Heart Sutra can be chanted in ANY language (after all, it's meaning is beyond all words and in all words too). Washin regularly chants in Ukrainian and Russian in his sitting for peace (for example, in Russian from the 2:00 mark here):

More to come ...

Gassho, J

stlah
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-10-2023 at 01:20 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Some tricks and tips for memorizing the Hannya Shingyo (especially in Japanese):

Pronunciation and Traditional Mnemonics for the Heart Sutra (and more!) -

NOTE: BEFORE GETTING INTO THE BELOW DISCUSSION, LET ME MENTION A NEAT APP FOR LEARNING THE JAPANESE HANNYA SHINGYO THAT SOME OF OUR PRIESTS HAVE BEEN USING. YOU CAN GO THAT WAY, OR COMBINE IT WITH THE RECOMMENDATIONS BELOW:

Dear All (I forget your names ),

As all of you will eventually discover, I suffer from a medically confirmed neurological condition (lifelong, minor, but bothersome) which causes me to bumble names (I often call my daughter by the cat's name, and vice versa), my home phone numbers, simple word spellings (I am sure that there are several misspelliings in this post), and other obvious bits of information. For that reason, I began training in mnemonics (memory tricks) years ago, and it helps greatly. In fact, in some ways, it allows me to perform some unusual feats of memory very quickly (I once, when a little younger, memorized all known Kings and Queens of England, with their exact years of reign, in around 20 minutes, not fast at all in the mnemonics world.) You can learn more about mnemonics here. There are many techniques, this is just an example of one of them:

Below, I present a somewhat irreverent way to learn the Heart Sutra/Hannya Shingyo that is highly effective, but also very old and traditional in earthy Japan. Buddhists have used mnemonics through the centuries, including to learn the Heart Sutra. Below is an example from old Japan, in the late Edo period, showing quite a bit of humor. Many of the items are head scratchers for modern people, but I see some funny ones. "Chi" is a word for a breast or utter in Japanese, so you will see a picture of two breasts (third column from left), and in the same column, three spaces down, a picture of a dog peeing, which is thought to make a "Sa" sound in Japanese. They stand for those sounds in the Sutra. Yes, the sacred is truly mundane, the ordinary just sacred.

If you wish to study this topic more, a scholar's paper:

Form, Iconicity and the Pictographic Heart Sutra
    http://www2.ngu.ac.jp/uri/gengo/pdf/...vol2601_08.pdf

You also can use such a technique for our Sutra memorizations (although how "irreverent" or "G Rated" one wishes to make your visual images, well, I leave to you. ) Make you own, personal visual aid like the above, but using sounds and things meaningful to you!

I suggest that you take ordinary English (or your native language) words that sound as close as possible to each sound to stand for each of the following. For example:

Hara = Horror (movie on TV)

Mita = Meat Ta(r), or (Parking) Meter,

Shin = Shin (of the leg)

Gyo = Glow

Kan = Can (of beer)

Ji = Jee(p)

Zai = "Z" shaped "eye"

Bo = Bow

Satsu = short for "satellites"

Then, make a story in your own mind LINKING, in a very visual way, in a sequential chain all these strange, absurd, shocking or funny images, which you visualize as a story in your mind, for example:

An old [horror] movie begins on tv, in which red [meat] is suddenly covered with boiling hot [tar], which turns into someone's throbbing [shin], which starts to brightly [glow] inside a huge tin [can] which is being carried on the back of a [jeep], which jeep has [Z'eyes] (Z shaped eyes) instead of headlights, which eyes emerge from the grill of the jeep to tie together as a [bow], from which bow emerge hundreds of [sats] (satellites) which fly into space ...

Repeat the story in your mind again and again and, soon, you will find that you remember the sound sequence without need to remember the story or funny images.

A couple of pointers:

It is better that you make your own images, using visual items that are meaningful and (especially) funny, strange or shocking to you. Also, it is best if you use concrete, easily visualized things (e.g., car, boat, bus, dog), rather than more abstract items that become harder to visualize (e.g., love, beauty). The more concrete and funnier or shocking the image, generally, the easier to remember. As you can see in my example above, my story is filled as much as I can with relatively concrete items ("shin" "jeep") rather than harder to visualize items (thus, I have an image of a "horror movie" on the TV, rather than the more abstract concepts of just "horror" or "horrible").

Pronunciation should be as close as possible. The more distant the pronunciation, the harder to recall. Thus "horror" is reasonably close in pronunciation to "Hara," but "hours" or "hampster" would be too far away to trigger memory of the correct sound.

Of course, we also need to come as close as possible to the Japanese pronunciation. Thus, the below list is not a list for memorizing (you need to make your own images for yourself), and is meant only to help with PRONUNCIATION as you make your trigger images.

In the following, disregard any part of a word in parenthesis ( ) as if it was cut away. For example, “fool” for “fu” here:

Fu = Foo(l)

I apologize right now if my examples are biased toward Yankee pronunciations. Our friends from other places can adjust for worldwide versions. Also, some of the images are very much personal to me (the 'Star Wars' and 'Star Trek' references which I like, for example, another reason that you should make your own version for memorization which means something to you if not a Trekkie etc.).

In the following examples, two words together are meant to be said as one two syllable word quickly. For example, “Maka” sounds like “ma” (of “mama) and “car” (with the 'r' cut off), said as one quick two syllable words, thus:

Maka = Ma(ma) Ca(r)

Words with “u” at the end such as “Soku” usually – but not always – have a “u” sound at the end that sounds like the French word for water “eau” or the “ooh” of "ooh la la". If you listen to the following recording, the “ooh” is sometimes so subtle, and barely pronounced, that it can sound almost like a one syllable word. So, “Soku” would be:

Soku = Soak(the dishes) ooh (la la) or, sometimes, just Soak (the dishes) with the "ooh" almost unvoiced.

One should listen closely and compare the below with this Japanese version for practice:

To emphasize, the following is meant primarily to help you only with Japanese PRONUNICATION. You need to make your own, separate version for purposes of MEMORIZATION of the sounds.

====================================

Maka = Ma(ma) Ca(r to drive)
    Hannya = Han(Solo of Star Wars, rhymes with man's name Ron) (Italian lasag)na
    Haramita = Ha(ha ha) ra(h rah sis boom bah) me(and you) ta(r the road)
    Shin = Shin (of the leg)
    Gyo = ( Large Bi)gyo(yo toy)

Kan = Kahn (of Star Trek)
    Ji = Je (sus)
    Zai = Xy(lophone)
    Bo = (Stallone is Ram)bo
    Satsu = (They) sats (down) ooh (NOTE: Rather than “sats”, closer to “sots” as in “besotted”. Also, some Japanese abbreviate this to "Sa," most do not)
    Gyo = (Large Bi)gyo(yo toy)
    Jin = Gin (Rummy)
    Han = Han (Solo, rhymes with man's name Ron)
    Nya = Italian lasag)na
    Ha = Ha (ha ha)
    Ra = Ra (ra sis boom bah)
    Mi = Me (and you)
    Ta = Ta(r the road)
    Ji = Je (sus)
    Sho = Show (time)
    Ken = Ken (and Barbie)
    Go = Go (Away)
    On = Own (a house)
    Kai = Ki(te to fly)
    Ku = Coo (went the pigeon)
    Do = Doe (a female deer)
    I = Ea(t your breakfast)
    Sai = Sigh (with love)
    Yaku = (Boating ka)yak ooh (la la, subtle)
    Sha = Sha (of Iran)
    Ri = Rea(d a book)
    Shi = She (and him)
    Shiki = Shick (razors) key (and lock)
    Fu = Foo (Fighters) or for the older crowd, Foo(l me once, shame on me)
    I = ea(t your breakfast)
    Fu = Foo (Fighters)
    I = Ea(t your breakfast)
    Soku = Soak (the laundry) ooh (la la, subtle)
    Ze = Ze(ppelin)
    Ze = Ze(ppelin)
    Ju = Jew (in Tel Aviv)
    So = Sew (a button)
    Gyo = (Large Bi)g yo(yo toy)
    Bu = Boo (went the ghost)
    Nyo = (The eggs were u)nyo(ked)
    Ze = Ze(ppelin)
    Sha = Sha (of Iran)
    Ri = Rea(d a book)
    Shi = She (and he)
    Ze = Ze(ppelin)
    Sho = Show (time)
    Ho = Ho (ho ho says Santa)
    So = Sew (a button)
    Fu = Foo (Fighters)
    Sho = Show (time)
    Fu = Foo (Fighters)
    Metsu = (Baseball's New York) Mets ooh (la la, subtle)
    Fu = Foo (Fighters)
    Fu = Foo (Fighters)
    Jo = Joe (man's name)
    Fu = Foo (Fighters)
    Zo = (Bo)zo (the clown)
    Fu = Foo (Fighters)
    Gen = (Once more a)gain
    Ze = Ze(ppelin)
    Ko = Co-(pilot)
    Chu = Chew (your food)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Ju = Jew (in Tel Aviv)
    So = Sew (a button)
    Gyo = (Large Bi)g yo(yo toy)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Gen = (Once more a)gain
    Ni = Knee (of the leg)
    Bi = Bee (is buzzing)
    Ze = Ze(ppelin)
    Shin = Shin (of the leg)
    Ni = Knee (of the leg)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Sho = Show (time)
    Ko = Co-(pilot)
    Mi = Me (and you)
    Ho = Ho (ho ho says Santa)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Gen = (Once more a)gain
    Kai = Ki(te to fly)
    Nai = Nigh(t and day)
    Shi = She (and he)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    I = Ea(t your breakfast)
    Kai = Ki(te to fly)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Myo = (Jewelry Ca)meo (said really fast)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Myo = (Jewelry Ca)meo
    Jin = Gin (Rummy)
    Nai = Nigh(t and day)
    Shi = She (and he)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Ro = Row (your boat)
    Shi = She (and he)
    Yaku = (Boating ka)yak ooh (subtle)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Ro = Row (your boat)
    Shi = She (and he)
    Jin = Gin (rummy)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Shu = Shoe (to wear)
    Metsu = (Baseball's New York) Mets ooh (la la, subtle)
    Do = Doe (a female deer)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Chi = Chee(se and crackers)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Toku = Toke (a smoke) ooh (la la, subtle)
    I = Ea(t your breakfast)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Sho = Show (time)
    Tok- = Toe (of the foot)
    ko = Co-(pilot)
    Bo = (Stallone is Ram)bo
    Dai = Die (and live another day)
    Sat = (Bes)sot(ed)
    Ta = Ta(r the road)
    E = E(dward)
    Nya = (Italian lasag)na
    Ha = Ha (ha ha)
    Mi = Me (and you)
    Ta = Ta(r the road)
    Ko = Co-(pilot)
    Shin = Shin (of the leg)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Kei = (O)kay
    Ge = Ge(t me a hammer)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Kei = (O)kay
    Ge = Ge(t me a hammer)
    Ko = Co(-pilot)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    U = Ooh (La La)
    Fu = Foo (Fighters)
    On = Own (a house)
    Ri = Rea(d a book)
    Is- = Ea(t your breakfast)
    Sai = Sigh (with love)
    Ten = 10
    Do = Doe (a female deer)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    So = Sew (a button)
    Gyo = (Large Bi)gyo(yo toy)
    Ne = Ne(xt in line)
    San = San (rhymes with man's name Ron)
    Ze = Ze(ppelin)
    Sho = Show (time)
    Butsu = Boots (to wear) ooh (la la, subtle)
    E = Eh (What did you say?)
    Nya = (Italian lasag)na
    Ha = Ha (ha ha)
    Mi = Me (and you)
    Ta = Ta(r the road)
    Ko = Co-(pilot)
    Toku = Toke (a smoke) ooh (la la, subtle)
    A = (Doctor's “Open wide, say) Ah
    Noku = No (not yes) Coo (says the pigeon)
    Ta = Ta(r the road)
    Myaku = Mia (Culpa) Coo (says the pigeon) … said fast …
    Bo = (Stallone is Ram)bo
    Ko = Co-(pilot)
    Chi = Chee(se and crackers)
    Nya = (Italian lasag)na
    Ha = Ha (ha ha)
    Mi = Me (and you)
    Ta = Ta(r the road)
    Ze = Ze(ppelin)
    Jin = Gin (Rummy)
    Shu = Shoe (to wear)
    Ze = Ze(ppelin)
    Myo = (Jewelry Ca)meo (said really fast)
    Shu = Shoe (to wear)
    Ze = Ze(ppelin)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Jo = Joe (man's name)
    Shu = Shoe (to wear)
    Ze = Ze(ppelin)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    To = Toe (of the foot)
    Do = Doe (a female deer)
    Shu = Shoe (to wear)
    No = No (and yes)
    Jo = Joe (man's name)
    Is = Ea(t your breakfast)
    sai = Sigh (with love)
    Ku = Coo (said the pigeon)
    Shin = Shin (of the leg)
    Jitsu = (Gad)gets, but 'i' sound as in Ju-Jitsu
    Fu = Foo (Fighters)
    Ko = Co-(Pilot)
    Ko = Co-(Pilot)
    Setsu = (Television) sets ooh (la la, subtle)
    Nya = (Italian lasag)na
    Ha = Ha (ha ha)
    Mi = Me (and you)
    Ta = Ta(r the road)
    Shu = Shoe (to wear)
    Setsu = (Television) sets ooh (la la, subtle)
    Shu = Shoe (to wear)
    Watsu = Whatsu(p?)
    Gya = (Bi)g ya(cht to sail)
    Tei = Ta(ke my hand)
    Tei = Ta(ke my hand)
    Ha = Ha (ha ha)
    Tei = Ta(ke my hand)
    Hara = Ha (ha ha) Ra (ra sis boom bah)
    So = Sew (a button)
    Tei = Ta(ke my hand)
    Bo = (Stallone is Ram)bo
    Ji = Je (sus)
    Sowa = So wha(t?)
    Ka = Ca(r to drive)
    Hannya = Han(Solo of Star Wars, rhymes with man's name Ron) (Italian lasag)na
    Shingyo = Shin (of the leg) ( Large Bi)gyo(yo toy)

Let me know how that works.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-31-2022 at 03:22 AM.

Calling All Chanters,

Another aspect of learning the Hannya Shingyo which can replace, or accompany, the mnemonic methods we looked at above, is to study the actual meaning of each Kanji one by one. Now, that is not strictly necessary: While we ask all our priests to make close study of the textual meaning and Buddhist philosophy expressed by the Heart Sutra, that can be kept apart from learning the Sutra for Chanting. In other words, while one should study the meaning of the text, one can simply learn and throw oneself into the raw sounds and music in learning the Chant, without concern with the doctrinal meaning when Chanting. On the other hand, like modern Japanese priests (who themselves often have only a vague sense of the meaning of each word they chant, because the old Sino-Japanese is as far removed from modern language as, for example, English to French), it is fine to combine learning the Chant with also learning something about the meaning of the characters being chanted.

A short method is to use this script, created by Shunryu Suzuki Roshi, which breaks down the syllables of Kanji by word, very literally. Although the translation itself is worded a bit differently from our version at Treeleaf, the meaning of each word becomes clear.

For more detailed study, Tanahashi's book on the Heart Sutra, while almost TOO detailed for most casual readers (he dives deeply into the reasons for translation word choices, and variations between several Chinese and Sanskrit versions) does explain in great detail the meaning of each Chinese Character, their combination in words, and their significance and relation to wider Buddhist teachings.

I appreciated the book very much as a Japanese translator myself, interested in the linguistic aspects. (As a side note, however, for various reasons, I do not care very much for Tanahashi Sensei "new" wording of the Heart Sutra, which he presents in the book.) For one wishing to understand the teachings of the Sutra itself, I would instead recommend Red Pine's book for that.

Gassho, Jundo

stlah
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-31-2022 at 03:26 AM.