Thread: [Ecodharma] Pakistan’s Rainfall is 780% of Normal

[Ecodharma] Pakistan’s Rainfall is 780% of Normal

Hi all,
    As Loy discussed, the climate crisis is punishing people who have least contributed to it.
    https://billmckibben.substack.com/p/...1iutp86TLFYzUI
    Metta to all suffering. There is record flooding in Mississippi as well.
    Gassho,
    Naiko
    st lah
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-29-2022 at 09:36 PM.

Thank you for posting this, Naiko -- I've been keeping an eye on the devastation in Pakistan, as my neighbors I believe are from Karachi (either Karachi or Lahore, I can't recall which). They travel to Pakistan often as they still have family there (all over Pakistan), so I imagine this is a heartbreaking situation for them.

Thank you for the link also. Between Ukraine and Pakistan (and elsewhere), the global humanitarian/climate crises can be overwhelming to think about.

May all beings be liberated from suffering. May all beings find peace and healing.

stlh
    My life is my temple and my practice.

I haven't participated in the ecodharma group so far, so I hope it is okay if I chime in here. If not, please remove it.

A friend I work with is from Pakistan and told me this morning about some of the deaths in the city his family's home is in.
    He specifically mentioned a 12 year old boy who was found drowned.
    This, for me, is a good reminder that part of our practice is not turning away from the suffering of the world, as it is very easy to just pretend this doesn't exist for us.

Metta to all of us, in this new stage of our world. Especially those who are suffering loss right now.

Sorry to run long.

Gassho,
    Nengyoku
    Sat
    Thank you for being the warmth in my world.

Meian and Nengyoku, metta for your friends. I hope they will hear their families are safe. The world’s suffering is overwhelming. I don’t think anyone in the Buddha’s time could have imagined our ability to see suffering half a world away.

st lah

Unfortunately this sort of news is only going to be more and more common. Droughts, heat waves, floods, fires.

Metta for all beings on this planet but especially for those that suffer and are least responsible for that suffering.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

Let is sit for all lost in this tragedy, then get up and keep up the good effort to help this world.

Gassho, J

stlah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Let is sit for all lost in this tragedy, then get up and keep up the good effort to help this world.

Gassho, J

stlah

stlh

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Metta to all whose suffering in daily life is now compounded by wave upon wave of yet more suffering, may all beings find peace and comfort, and may they not feel alone.

Gassho, Tokan (satlah)

There’s a story in The Guardian today:

Major sea-level rise caused by melting of Greenland ice cap is ‘now inevitable’

Loss will contribute a minimum rise of 27cm regardless of what climate action is taken, scientists discover

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...e-27cm-climate

When I read this, I didn’t know how to react. It’s not unexpected, but I can’t help thinking that we’re screwed, and it’s too late to change. This really depressed both me and my partner today.

Gassho,
    Ryūmon (Kirk)
    Sat
    流文

I know nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryumon View Post
    There’s a story in The Guardian today:

Major sea-level rise caused by melting of Greenland ice cap is ‘now inevitable’

Loss will contribute a minimum rise of 27cm regardless of what climate action is taken, scientists discover

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...e-27cm-climate

When I read this, I didn’t know how to react. It’s not unexpected, but I can’t help thinking that we’re screwed, and it’s too late to change. This really depressed both me and my partner today.

Gassho,
    Ryūmon (Kirk)
    Sat
    Hey Ryumon

Yes I can relate to these feelings too, but my hope is that we will adapt, even if we don't learn to behave better.

Gassho, Tokan (satlah)