Thread: Cushion for Cosmic Mudra

Cushion for Cosmic Mudra

I was having trouble keeping my hands in the cosmic mudra. My hands kept going to my knees instead. After talking about it with Jundo, I've tried using a cushion to rest my hands on in the cosmic mudra. That helped immensely. Not only did I not feel the urge to put my hands on my knees, but my sitting position also felt more stable. I often have felt the need to lie down and fall asleep, but the cushion for my hands may make it easier to remain seated.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    Last edited by Onkai; 08-28-2022 at 03:59 AM.
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Onkai View Post
    I was having trouble keeping my hands in the cosmic mudra. My hands kept going to my knees instead. After talking about it with Jundo, I've tried using a cushion to rest my hands on in the cosmic mudra. That helped immensely. Not only did I feel the urge to put my hands on my knees, but my sitting position also felt more stable. I often have felt the need to lie down and fall asleep, but the cushion for my hands may make it easier to remain seated.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    Yes, although not so common, I have seen folks do this in Japan and the West who, for example, have some particular arm issues or (in one case) someone with a condition like "carpal tunnel" whom I know.

People just have different body shapes, and some folks' arms just do not comfortably reach and rest naturally and stably in the lap, in front of the belly.

Also to be avoided, holding the Mudra too high!! The following is from a yoga instructor who posted on Bro. Brad Warner's page, but I cannot recommend this at all. It should rest in the lap:

Again, our philosophy around here is very much influenced by Will Johnson's "find the position(s) which feel balanced, stable, comfortable for YOUR particular body":

Book Recommendation: - THE POSTURE OF MEDITATION
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...-OF-MEDITATION

Finding Your Seat: A Meditation Posture Workshop with Will Johnson
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...h-Will-Johnson

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-28-2022 at 08:57 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I’ve read somewhere that using a towel draped from knee to knee can act as a bridge to help support the mudra. I’ve never tried but it makes sense.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

I too have this problem. When holding the cosmic mudra I don’t feel stable; almost top heavy. It hurts my arms and my back. I have tried using a cushion but that doesn’t seem to help much.
    I too believe that everyone has a particular position that works with their bodies.
    I’m happy that you have found some relief, Onkai.

Gassho,

Finn

Sat today

This is great and I am going to try it. I struggle because my limbs are short relative to my torso, so I am left with my mudra hanging. One does not wish to be caught with their mudra hanging.

Gassho,
    Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.

Quote Originally Posted by Onki View Post
    I too have this problem. When holding the cosmic mudra I don’t feel stable; almost top heavy. It hurts my arms and my back. I have tried using a cushion but that doesn’t seem to help much.
    I too believe that everyone has a particular position that works with their bodies.
    I’m happy that you have found some relief, Onkai.

Gassho,

Finn

Sat today
    I have this exact problem. Even my special kneeler chair doesn’t help, so I end up sitting in a regular chair anyway to do the mudra because that’s the only thing comfortable over time.

Gassho,
    Jason
    Sat today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Onkai,
    Thank you so much for sharing this. For years I’ve felt pain in the upper back while sitting zazen, even when sitting in a chair. Tomorrow I will try using a cushion for the cosmic mudra to give more support to my arms.
    Gassho
    Mateus
    Sat LAH

Mateus,

You're welcome! I hope it helps you.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Onkai View Post
    Mateus,

You're welcome! I hope it helps you.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat lah
    Thanks, Onkai.
    Today I used a little folded cushion and my sitting was wonderfully painless.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat LAH
    怠努 (Tai Do) - Lazy Effort
    (also known as Mateus )

禅戒一如 (Zen Kai Ichi Nyo) - Zazen and the Precepts are One!

:-)

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way

Friend Onkai, I learned to relax hands in lap, resting Left hand fingers inside Right hand fingers. Relaxation of Mudra is good; I am Tai Shi, calm poetry. At Treeleaf I am more quiet, happy and serene. I wanted serenity in another place; largely, not believing in guilt now for loving kindness, primary message of the Buddha. I try to practice loving kindness, and Mudra happens.
    sat
    lah/
    Gassho
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

When I used to sit in lotus more frequently, I could rest my hands on my feet (full) or foot (half). But these days I am sitting in Burmese posture and so now I use a little "whatever cushion" from Dharma Crafts.

Any kind of small pillow will help. A towel often gives way after while. So, the support of a pillow is good.

Sat Today

Gassho,

Wondo

I don't sit Burmese because I find it very unstable, so I prefer to sit on a chair or use half lotus.
    Today, while sitting half lotus with pain again in my upper back and my legs, I noticed that one of my legs don't fully touch the ground.
    So, I thought about using another small cushion to support this leg until I can stretch it back to the floor like it used to be; and to post here to see opinions about it (and perhaps help someone else with a similar problem).
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Satlah
    怠努 (Tai Do) - Lazy Effort
    (also known as Mateus )

禅戒一如 (Zen Kai Ichi Nyo) - Zazen and the Precepts are One!

I have been sitting with a cushion for my hands since Sunday and it has made a HUGE difference (actually, I am using an old baby blanket that my grandmother made for me as a child and that I still have somehow - rolled up, it's long enough to support my hands as well as my arms).

I didn't realize that my hands/arms were pulling me forward as I sat.

Gassho,
    SatLah
    Kelly