Thread: Thank you for not visiting

Thank you for not visiting

Perhaps in these days of pollution, reliance on fossil fuels and the global warming crisis that us humans have caused, all these things which are a great cause of harm in this world... perhaps Treeleaf and other online Sanghas are setting an example, showing us the future. The present. The Sangha with a small carbon footprint.

Thank you

Gasshō
    Seiko
    stlah
    Gandō Seiko
    頑道清光
    (Stubborn Way of Pure Light)

My street name is 'Al'.

Any words I write here are merely the thoughts of an apprentice priest, just my opinions, that's all.

Thank you for not visiting

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko View Post
    Perhaps in these days of pollution, reliance on fossil fuels and the global warming crisis that us humans have caused, all these things which are a great cause of harm in this world... perhaps Treeleaf and other online Sanghas are setting an example, showing us the future. The present. The Sangha with a small carbon footprint.

Thank you

Gasshō
    Seiko
    stlah
    Well, we all use a terrible amount of energy, for computers, routers, the pollution from the internet providers for hundreds of members, servers, computer manufacturers etc
    Don’t know about small carbon footprint, but it’s a nice idea.

Sat Today
    Last edited by Bion; 08-05-2022 at 06:03 PM.
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Hi Bion, well... compared to places who pressurise laity to travel to be there in person for sesshin...
    Gasshō
    Seiko
    Gandō Seiko
    頑道清光
    (Stubborn Way of Pure Light)

My street name is 'Al'.

Any words I write here are merely the thoughts of an apprentice priest, just my opinions, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko View Post

Thank you

Gasshō
    Seiko
    stlah

Seiko,

I agree.

My hope is that with new tools like Zoom much less travel can be done. During my career I traveled by plane and cars several times a month. Yes some of it was necessary but many trips were just to attend a meeting. I prefer to meet face to face and interact but given the environmental costs of doing so I would gladly stay put.

We need to change how we live and work.

Doshin
    St

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doshin View Post
    My hope is that with new tools like Zoom much less travel can be done. During my career I traveled by plane and cars several times a month. Yes some of it was necessary but many trips were just to attend a meeting. I prefer to meet face to face and interact but given the environmental costs of doing so I would gladly stay put.

We need to change how we live and work.
    I know that COVID has brought significant changes to organizations in the non-profit rare-disease world (where I work). Conference attendance is way up - but over Zoom and such. It seems likely that one day when "in person" conferences make a complete come back, they will still look different. "Mixed" events with participants watching and asking questions via Zoom, and from inside the room. It is all still a bit awkward as social norms, institutional knowledge, etc. adapt. But just maybe we will see fewer people needing to travel long distances for these types of events. Access for more people, and lower impact for attending? "Maybe so."

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Yes Sekishi,

I hope that “hybrid” conferences will become more frequent. Over the past couple of years I was able to attend several conferences by Zoom that I would not have gone to otherwise. In addition smaller group monthly meetings were held on Zoom. Once again though I was a member of the group they were far away and I usually did not attend. So this technology provides opportunities to reduce our carbon foot print and attend meetings/conferences/talks we might normally be able to attend.

Doshin
    St

I am definitely benefiting from Zoom and similar technologies. Prior to Covid I travelled frequently for work related purposes. I haven’t travelled once since Covid. In fact I am still working from home. I’ve also been able to attend some events like conferences or live performances that I would have missed otherwise. It is not a perfect replacement for in person The technology is still in its infancy. It will only get better.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Yes, I notice many centers are continuing in a hybrid format and that seems very beneficial. I have been working remotely since March 2020. My computer would be on all day in either place, but I cut out two hours of commuting, traveling to meetings, leave the lights off (would be on at the office) and make do without a bunch of office gadgets. This week I am virtually attending a music camp located thousands of miles from me. I miss in person interactions, but I really appreciate zoom. Sorry to run long.
    Gassho,
    Naiko
    st