Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ecodharma: An Alternative Last Chapter, written by Jundo

Suggesting that billionaires are a protected class is ridiculous.

https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/...haracteristics

Gassho,
    Ryūmon (Kirk)
    Sat
    流文

I know nothing.

Stop looking for a group to blame, butch up and take responsibility for your lot in life. No one else to blame but yourself
    This is indeed the view of Zen, or at least half of it. We take personal responsibility for our actions and their consequences.

However, in Zen we also recognise that everything is subject to causes and conditions, and opportunity and station in life is not handed out equally.

How do we deal with both of these things being true?

We take personal responsibility for our own actions but also treat others with compassion, recognising that other factors can be complicit in making their lives as they are. We are often not in a position to judge for ourselves why people are in the position they find themselves in, whether they are rich, poor, of whatever ethnicity or social status. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't act well and take care of our health and finances, but it also doesn't mean that we should judge people based on where they find themselves.

The idea of a 'just world' in which people get what they deserve is seductive, and appeals to our sense of being in control. One of the sixteen Zen precepts that we observe here is to refrain from praising oneself and judging others. This is important to bear in mind.

As others have pointed out, this is a Zendo, not social media, and we expect everyone to treat each other with compassion and respect. Conduct is equally as important as what we say, if not more so.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-
    Last edited by Kokuu; 08-03-2022 at 09:31 PM.

Since we’re talking about climate, here’s how billionaires (as part of the richest 1%) disproportionately affect our climate:

https://news.sky.com/story/the-world...ction-12460623

And this is from a British TV channel owned by Rupert Murdoch, who is very much against mitigating climate change.

Gassho,
    Ryūmon (Kirk)
    Sat
    流文

I know nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryumon View Post
    Suggesting that billionaires are a protected class is ridiculous.

https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/...haracteristics

Gassho,
    Ryūmon (Kirk)
    Sat
    So they aren't protected and it's open season, you can attack and demean at will? Everyone should be free from attacks.
    #sattoday

Sent from my SM-A325M using Tapatalk
    Oh, yeah. If I didn't have inner peace, I'd go completely psycho on all you guys all the time.
    Carl Carlson

Although the post's contents are quoted, and I am not in favor of mincing words in most cases, I have removed the post in reference due to its more targeted nature.

Please, although a topic of discussion can be heated, it must remain civil. Forum or not, this is a Zen sangha, and there are lines we should keep in focus when talking to one another.

Thank you,

Gassho,
    koushi
    STLaH
    理道弘志 | Ridō Koushi

Please take this novice priest-in-training's words with a grain of salt.

Guys, this is going nowhere. I know that Jundo says more leeway in this thread but lets try to not get too attached to being "right" and getting in the last word.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

My disappointment grows.

Peace

Doshin
    St

We really need to tone this down, maintain civil calm discussion if it is going to happen. As I said, a little more leeway here because it is a discussion on Global Warming and social policy, but please do not abuse the leeway. Soft tones and polite words, please, even as you make your desired reasonable point.

I think I understand Bayamo was just trying to be ironic, not literal. However, it still was right to delete the comment. Let's stay calm and low key please.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-03-2022 at 11:58 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Although this post will contain some of my personal feelings, I will try to use the language very carefully. We really need to conduct this discussion more civilly.

So, I am the son of two retired workers. My father worked for decades in a warehouse. He has a neck hernia now. My mother worked in a garment factory. She cannot see anything without glasses now. They worked hard, they gained nothing except the food they needed to survive. So, should they blame themselves? Should have they been more innovative and smart? They had the chance to become Tesla, and did they turn it down? I live in a country where the current global system labelled it as "developing" - which means, regardless of my qualifications, I will earn less than my colleagues in a developed country. But, again, that also must have something to do with my personal effort. Even from the Zen viewpoint, that would be a wrong approach. Wouldn't it? We should not intermingle the relative with the absolute. These are the truths of my relative, material world. And there is someone to blame for all these things. They have the power to resolve these problems, and they prefer not to solve them for their profits.

The links sent by Ryumon sum up the situation pretty well. And, for seven months we've already read and talked about the damage done by big companies to nature. (To remember again, the whole conversation is about ecology & dharma) I suppose, I only suppose that almost everyone would like to see at least some justice in the distribution of wealth. No need to be a red for that. Extreme wealth is against this basic moral, human demand. No one is talking about burning them at the stake. Therefore, I must admit that I had a really hard time understanding the accusations that go as far as racism. Please help me see the relevance.

Gassho, Doğukan
    Sat.

I think we need more billionaires. The more, the merrier.

If not born a billionaire, the only way to become one is to find a way to decrease people’s suffering.

If born a billionaire, the only way to remain so is to keep the capital invested or the wealth is taxed into nonexistence. Capital that is invested decreases society’s suffering.

The employee earning minimum wage contributes minimally to the economy and does little to decrease the suffering of his unemployed fellow humans.

Billionaires employ legends of beings and do untold good.

Gassho, Jishin, ST, LAH

Wow. I'm seriously blown away by some of the misguided trolling in this thread.

Let this chum settle, go sit. Stop feeding it.

To think this is what provokes me to post again. How sad.

Gassho.
    Seimyo

明 Seimyō (Christhatischris)

Quote Originally Posted by Seimyo View Post
    Wow. I'm seriously blown away by some of the misguided trolling in this thread.

Let this chum settle, go sit. Stop feeding it.

To think this is what provokes me to post again. How sad.

Gassho.
    Seimyo
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

Gassho, Jishin, ST, LAH

Just to let folks know, I did not close the discussion. I was at the zoo all day for my daughters' birthday.

But some of the priests felt that the conversation was getting to be a bit much, and too aggressive, so closed the thread. Maybe so, and maybe best to take a rest for now.

I am sorry that there are so many misunderstandings about what I wrote. I will have to work at being clearer in the future .. when discussing Buddhism of the future.

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12