Thread: Ecodharma - Appendix 2 -- End of Book

Ecodharma - Appendix 2 -- End of Book

Hi Ecosattvas,

I have the privilege of wrapping up our reading of this book. In this final section I have bundled together the remaining four appendices.

In Appendix 2, Loy gives us the list of 16 core dharma principles adopted by the One Earth Sangha and outlines how they relate to the issue of climate disruption.

In Appendix 3, we have some practical steps, as compiled by Bhikku Bodhi, which outlined what we can do now to address the climate emergency from both a spiritual and political perspective.

Appendix 4 gives us the Ecosattva Vows as taken from Joanna Macy and Chris Johnstone's book, "Activity Hope: How to Face the Mess We're in Without Going Crazy'.

And Appendix 5 is description of the Rocky Mountain Ecodharma Center. It probably wouldn't be very Ecosattva-y for anyone this side of the pond to make a trip there especially but apparently there's a centre in Spain too.

To conclude this reading I have two questions, one fairly open ended and one specific:

What was your favourite part of the book, what were your main takeaways?

and

What concrete steps along the path of the Ecosattva will you take next? How will you engage with the climate emergency?

It have been a privilege to join you all in reading this book, I have learned a lot from you all. I hope we can keep this group going and look at more books to read together.

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah

Not quite the end ...

Kokuu said that I might post one additional chapter next week, written by me ... an alternative ending to David's book, if you will. Some may not care for my ending, or be shocked by it. I do hope that you see what the alternatives to it might be, and will give it a serious read.

In any case ... that is next week.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Heiso thank you for this. I agree with another book to share together. I suggested earlier that maybe one within our group could suggest a book. I also suggested several authors that I am aware of but please don’t be limited to just them.

My favorite part….the message that Buddhists should engage and that the Dharma supports that. I have often mentioned here and elsewhere that I see opposition by some to engage in “causes”.

What will I do next?…I have put into practice solar energy for my home, recycling, reducing use of resources, lessened my consumption of meat (and make more sustainable choices when I do consume meat), reduced my travel, and will continue to do so. I know I can/should do more and will look for those opportunities. I volunteer for conservation projects that hopefully improve the future for biodiversity, albeit on a small scale at this point in my life. I am still pondering what more I can do for our grandchildren.

Doshin
    St

Thank you Heiso.

My favourite part of the book? Well I actually liked the book pretty much start to end. It isn’t a cheery topic and Loy didn’t hold back in his grim assessment. I did think the book was a very good expression of Buddhism and an excellent starting point to define an Ecosattva.

Sadly my main takeaway was that we may be too late. I was aware of the Eco crisis and was taking personal steps but I didn’t really realize the extent until Loy started listing them off and I verified through other sources.

What concrete steps along the path of the Ecosattva will you take next? How will you engage with the climate emergency?

My wife and I had already been taking incremental steps to decrease our carbon foot print. We are looking as ways to better manage our consumption and how to make better choices when we do need to make purchases.

I’ve also looked into some of the organizations such as 350.org and Extinction Rebellion.

Ultimately I plan to take the personal steps I can.

Thank you all for persevering and reading through this book together. I’ve really valued the book and our conversation.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Although it may well be because it was the part I just read, I really like the Sixteen Core Dharma Principles to Address Climate Change in Appendix 2, and can see myself referring back to those many times. My main takeaway is that environmental action has a clear relationship with the Buddhist worldview of interconnectedness and challenging our delusions. It remains the main challenge of our era, both for mainstream society and Buddhism.

As with others, I will keep in place what I already do at a personal, but step up holding my government to account, and engaging with organisations that work politically to achieve change. I do not expect this to yield instant results but not to do it is just defeatist and lazy.

Thank you all for being part of this group. It would be great if we could find another book which looks at similar issues in a different way. I am wondering if something by Joanna Macy might fit the bill, such as Active Hope. That was written in 2012 and I have yet to read it but it may provide something of an antidote to any pessimism we might naturally be feeling.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    Thank you all for being part of this group. It would be great if we could find another book which looks at similar issues in a different way. I am wondering if something by Joanna Macy might fit the bill, such as Active Hope. That was written in 2012 and I have yet to read it but it may provide something of an antidote to any pessimism we might naturally be feeling
    I just looked up “Active Hope”. It sounds good. It has my vote.

I’d like to thank Doshin and Kokuu for leading us through Ecodharma. I’d be happy to contribute more to this group by leading discussions through one or more chapters of our next book

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    Last edited by Tairin; 07-25-2022 at 03:15 PM.

Thank you Heiso.

I really enjoyed reading the book from the introduction until the very last page. But personally, my favourite part was the third chapter - Is the Eco-Crisis also a Buddhist Crisis?. I can hardly be regarded as a practical man, and probably as a vice for this case, I am much more into theoretical discussions. In that particular chapter, Loy provides the reader with a solid basis for thinking about the current eco-crisis within the Buddhist framework. My main takeaway? To be able to actualise our Bodhisattva vows in our lifespans, it is not enough to practice to become a Boddhisattva - we should always keep in our minds that apart from our traditional Bodhisattva-Mahasattva ideals, we should nurture our practice with the ideal of being an Ecosattva.

This is a subject of observation that must be maintained throughout life. Yet, as an immediate act, I'll try to find out the institutions where I can be helpful as a volunteer to lessen the dramatic consequences of the eco-crisis. There is a delicate balance between the exact gravity of the crisis and the actual value of my personal effort. Not to turn this into a self-devastating process, I have to acknowledge beforehand that my personal engagement cannot change the situation - but also, not to turn it into a lazy and pessimistic passivity, I have to cherish every single effort with a rightful intention.

Gassho,
    Doğukan.
    Sat.

And just to round off and answer my own questions:

A bit like Kokuu in that it might be that it's because I just read it but I liked Bikkhu Bodhi's practical steps in Appendix 3, but I think my main takeaway was how to personally link the precepts and our practice to how we engage with the climate emergency, and then the Ecosattva Path.

I'm also looking at environmental groups to join and participate with, I've previously been involved with Extinction Rebellion and may lend a hand with their September protests, or look at how I can help apply direct pressure to government through more conventional means.

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah