Thread: In Gratitude to our Shissui

In Gratitude to our Shissui

Dear Everyone,

In Dogen's day, and in old China before, the Shissui (直歳, Work Leader) was one of the Six Major Officers & Administrators (六知事, Roku Chiji) of the Soto Zen Monastery. It would be impossible to have a monastery without someone, and their team, to keep a roof on the place, quite literally.

In our Treeleaf place, the Work Leader/Shissui has been for many years, and remains, Rev. Sekishi, who has held this place together (often losing much sleep and with great personal sacrifice to his other life responsibilities), now assisted more and more by our Koushi, his young apprentice and "padawan" , together with a team which includes Kyonin, Kotei and Bion in various roles. Also, I must specially mention Seimyo Chris, a decade long member of Treeleaf who, asking nothing for himself and content to remain behind the scenes, has helped Sekishi navigate this place through 10,000 technical mazes. (Am I forgetting anyone? Please forgive me if so, and let me know.)

Thank you to all of them.

Now, I was just reading the description of the Shissui from the Zennen-Shingi (Chanyuan-chingkueia), a 13th century manual of Chinese Chan monastic rules very important in our tradition, as supplemented by Master Dogen in his Eihei Shingi:

[Zennen-Shingi ] The job of work leader is generally to take charge of arranging all the works in the temple. The [work leader] must conduct all repairs in the temple including dormitories, gates and windows, fences and walls, and all the dailywork tools and equipment, and as the time requires, take care of repairs and replacements of decorations and ornaments. [The work leader] must take care of the grain mill, the fields and gardens, the workrooms and shops, the oil refining shop, the latrine tanks, the horse stables, boats and carts, general cleaning, and the sowing of seeds. Circulating throughout the temple, [the work leader] must protect it by keeping out burglars, and must assign and supervise the various workers, All this must be managed with an attitude of serving everyone with strong effort, understanding when and knowing how [each task must be carried out]. If there are major repairs or significant projects, they should be conducted after consultation and getting the approval of the abbot, then conferring with the other temple administrators about the [work leader's] plan. They should not be done only according to [the work leader's] own viewpoint. (p.179)

[Dogen] The work leader stays in the kuin [the kitchen and administrators' offices building], the same as the other temple administrators. However, [the work leader] must always be attending the work leader's shop and thoroughly review whether or not the workers have accomplished their tasks. …… The work leader cares for and maintains the whole temple with increasing prudence and humility, without neglecting anything. They repair and replace temple property and equipment to keep it neat and shiny. Towards the common laborers and even attendant workers, [the work leader] has an attitude of helping everyone, without any personal interests. (p.179-180)
    Of course, in our digital place, made mostly of light and electrons, we do not have grain mills, oil refining, horse stables nor latrine tanks. However, we do have various servers and programs, upgrades and hardware, data to clean up, various bugs, malware floods and intruders to be expeditiously dealt with too, all of which require just as much constant care. I simply need to reword the above slightly to say so, but the principle remains the same. Through the centuries, the Shissui have kept our Zen places going.

So, again, gratitude to our Shissui and his team, the Temple Guardians at the Gates.

Gassho, J

STLag

tsuku.jpg
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-21-2022 at 05:01 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Doshin
    St

It is really amazing how much these guys are able to keep up with. Thank you all so much.

Gassho
    Sat, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Deep bows

Gassho
    Washin
    StLah
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Yes, for sure, they make it all possible.

Gassho
    Byōkan
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

Thank you all for making this all possible.

Gassho,
    Artien
    Sat

aprapti

sat

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

Thank you indeed to Sekishi and his generosity, that not only keeps things running smoothly for all of us, but serves as an example of service, commitment and love for this sangha.

Sat Today
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Deep Bows

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Deep bows and thanks to Shisshui and team for all their efforts.

Gassho

Anna
    SatToday

Isn't it nice to be surrounded by people like this?

Gassho
    Shoki
    st

Heartfelt thanks.
    Gassho
    Susan … sat…lah

Many thanks to you all working to keep the wheels on. What a great job you do.

Naiko
    st

My deepest gratitude.

Gassho,
    Nengyoku
    SatLah

Thanks for maintaining this place.

Gassho

Stlah

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G using Tapatalk

Thanks for all you do.

��

Gassho

Zenkon

Thank you

Gassho,
    Gareth

Sat today, Lah

Thank you very much, Sekishi and team.

Mateus
    Sat/LAH

Somebody asked how to pronounce Shissui (直歳, Work Leader) ...

Like "She sway(s on the swing.)"

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    We are all so lucky to have to place, these friends on the path, and these opportunities to help!

Giver, receiver, and gift - no separation.

Deep bows to all.

-Sekishi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Gratitude to all who give where they can, how they can, when they can and what they can.
    Bows
    Onka
    st
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Thank you all

Andrea
    sat today

Many thanks to all of you

Dan
    ST

Nine Deep Bows to Sekishi

Arigato gozaimasu for your tech teachings, efforts, and self-less devotion to the sangha and all sentient beings.

meian stlh

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Thank you all.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

Gassho

Myosho
    Sat today

Deep bows to everyone who keeps us up and running, I'm very grateful to you all.

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah

I would not be where I am without them. My deepest gratitude to all of you.

Gassho
    Choboku

Sat today

Thank you all so much, I can only imagine how much time and work it takes behind the scenes to keep us up and running. A sincerest thank you and great big hug.

Gassho,
    Kelly/Jinmei
    st/lah

Deep bows to the tech team and thanks for keeping things up and running.

Gassho
    sat
    M

Thank you

Gassho, Tokan (satlah)

I sat today.

Bowing in gratitude to the tech team. I could not manage without them.
    Gassho. kaye

gassho
    ds sat
    Visiting priest: use salt

Gandō Seiko
    頑道清光
    (Stubborn Way of Pure Light)

My street name is 'Al'.

Any words I write here are merely the thoughts of an apprentice priest, just my opinions, that's all.