Thread: Invitation to All: A Few Weeks of Koan Practice

Invitation to All: A Few Weeks of Koan Practice

Dear All,

I invite everyone, especially those who have never experienced work with traditional Koans in our Soto Way, to our book club. For a few weeks, we will be looking at some old Koans. Do not worry that we are already up to Koan 93, jump right in:

BOOK OF EQUANIMITY - Case 93
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...NIMITY-Case-93

Now, some overly pretentious folks like to say things like, "The Koans are beyond all explanation and reason, they cannot be explained in words." That is B.S., Baloney, Bunk! Of course, they were not written just to be ridiculous or meaningless or to say silly things, but contain traditional Teachings expressed in poetic, often humorous (sometimes very dated and lost in meaning, so hard to understand) ways. They were written in such creative fashion to convey with words, but in a way that also packs more ... like poetry and song. However, they still mean something, usually a traditional teaching, that can be explained.

Now, that said, the Koan is NOT simply to be understood INTELLECTUALLY! Rather, the meaning ... the real lesson ... needs to get in the bones, like a powerful poem or a great song. The lesson of the Koan is truly a new way to see and experience life.

So, please give it a try, and also try the question assigned at the end of the essay.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-16-2022 at 01:07 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Koans are to me like someone explaining the most glorious sunset over a mountainridge to a blind and deaf person. So this will be very...interesting I will do my utmost best.

Gassho,
    Artien
    Sat

Even if the Koan itself is hard to understand Shishin Wick’s commentary is worth the price of admission. So is the perspectives of those that post to the threads.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Thank you for reminding, Jundo. I have my copy of the Book of Equanimity but I didn’t open it in years.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat/LAH

Bummer, I donated my Book of Equanimity a while back...

Gassho,
    Ekai

SAT

Quote Originally Posted by Ekai View Post
    Bummer, I donated my Book of Equanimity a while back...

Gassho,
    Ekai

SAT
    There is a link in my post, and you can access and read it there.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

gassho

risho
    -stlag

I've never put much stock in koan practice but then again I've never tried it either. Maybe this will be something I can sink my teeth into.

Gassho
    Sat lah

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G using Tapatalk