Thread: 'The ZEN of EVERYTHING! Podcast' ... Ep. 78 ... Buddhasplaining

'The ZEN of EVERYTHING! Podcast' ... Ep. 78 ... Buddhasplaining

Two Buddhist men discuss women's rights and Buddhism ...

... Ep. 78 ... Buddhasplaining ...

We discuss abortion and women's right to choose from a Buddhist perspective.
    THE LINK: https://www.zen-of-everything.com/78

For more about the podcast, where to send your serious or silly questions ...

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...-ON-THE-AIR%21

You can also sign up by RSS, or hear it many places such as Spotify and Apple Podcasts (follow the links above).

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you, Jundo. I liked it, a brutally honest review on the subjects and history and thought provoking.

It makes me consider; I always found it a little odd to reconcile the Dharma and how men treat or view women (or used to) in the east. You would think that those who contemplate the true meaning so much would have a deeper understanding (or acceptance) of the equality of both genders.

gassho,
    Artien
    SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by Artien View Post
    Thank you, Jundo. I liked it, a brutally honest review on the subjects and history and thought provoking.

It makes me consider; I always found it a little odd to reconcile the Dharma and how men treat or view women (or used to) in the east. You would think that those who contemplate the true meaning so much would have a deeper understanding (or acceptance) of the equality of both genders.
    Today, sexual and racial and religious equality is not our understanding of what is natural and how the world works. It is a good thing. A very good thing.

But people in the past or traditional people also had/have their understanding of what is natural and how the world works. I do not want to fault them, except to say that times were different and cultures are different. I am not sure how people, including Buddhists, lived in a world where things like castes and slavery (yes, even many Buddhist monasteries owned slaves listed in their property records, and the old Suttas contain advice on being kind to one's slaves) and women being denied even basic education and such existed, but it was once how the world was viewed, with some above and some below. It was considered the natural order of the universe, even in many aspects of Buddhism, that all beings have their place, higher or lower. However, as a modern westerner, it disgusts me, and I am very very glad that times have changed, and that we have come to new views (at least, we are heading in that direction, even as we can still do better even in our most "modern" societies.)

It is a very good thing.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-10-2022 at 11:57 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Good podcast but I disagree that there are no Buddhas in New Jersey. I see them all the time. (Oops, this was meant for the next one; Oodles of Buddhas).

Gassho
    STlah
    Shoki
    Last edited by Shoki; 07-29-2022 at 08:56 PM.