Thread: Online Certificate in Soto Zen Studies

Online Certificate in Soto Zen Studies

While browsing around I came across this. It might be of interest to some here. I'm thinking of auditing a course on Japanese for Buddhism that they offer.

https://www.shin-ibs.edu/academics/c...tudies/zenapp/

Stewart Sat

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
    While browsing around I came across this. It might be of interest to some here. I'm thinking of auditing a course on Japanese for Buddhism that they offer.

https://www.shin-ibs.edu/academics/c...tudies/zenapp/

Stewart Sat
    I was looking at that, and the course on reading Sutras that Gesshin posted about on Facebook.

Did you find any information on cost/tuition? It is given for a donation, or free?

It is a lovely program.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    I was looking at that, and the course on reading Sutras that Gesshin posted about on Facebook.

Did you find any information on cost/tuition? It is given for a donation, or free?

It is a lovely program.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    I saw they mention application fees, requirements like letters of recommendation, letters of intent, etc .. Couldn’t quite find information about this particular course

Sat Today
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

For students who are not currently enrolled in a degree program, the admissions requirements for this program are:

• Evidence (transcripts) of relevant prior study or coursework such as previous Buddhist Studies courses or a Bachelor’s degree (B.A.).
    • Two letters of recommendation attesting to the applicant’s ability to do graduate-level work, familiarity with Buddhist thought and/or practice, and relevant prior study or experience.
    • Statement of purpose (approximately 300-500 words) that includes (a) your reasons for pursuing graduate studies at IBS; (b) your specific academic interests and how they fit with the faculty and courses at IBS; (c) your personal or professional goals and how you see this certificate supporting them; (d) how your relevant academic background or prior experience prepares you for your proposed course of study at IBS.
    • Non-refundable application fee: $15

Gassho,
    Koushi
    STLaH
    理道弘志 | Ridō Koushi

Please take this novice priest-in-training's words with a grain of salt.

Given that the application fee is $15, I would be very surprised if this was the case, and imagine it will cost $000s.

It does look very good, though.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Stewart mentioned elsewhere, I believe, that just to no credit audit the "How to Read Sutras" class was about $825.00 U.S.? Is that right, Stewart?

Hey, I have one kid in college now, and can't afford more tuition!

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-06-2022 at 08:39 AM.

In case it is useful, the Fees page is here:

https://www.shin-ibs.edu/admissions/tuition-fees/

It is $2475 per course, with the certificate being 6 courses I think I will wait until I can be a Senior Auditor, which will then be $415 per course.

Gassho,
    Gareth

Sat today, Lah

Oh my...

I may be wrong, but I think these kind of super expensive courses create a wall between Zen and the people. Shouldn't Soto Zen be more accesible to people?

Makes me wonder.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Quote Originally Posted by Kyonin View Post
    Oh my...

I may be wrong, but I think these kind of super expensive courses create a wall between Zen and the people. Shouldn't Soto Zen be more accesible to people?

Makes me wonder.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Well, it is a university program. Academic studies.

At Treeleaf, we charge nothing, but you get what you pay for.

Gassho, J

STLan

Well, it is a university program. Academic studies.

Gassho, J

STLan
    I am unsure if you joke, but you and this community give much. Instead I would say that what you give freely is priceless and it is priceless because it is freely given.

Gassho,
    Artien
    SatToday

Oh, this nothing is very expensive

Gassho, Jishin, ST, LAH

Quote Originally Posted by Jishin View Post
    Oh, this nothing is very expensive

Gassho, Jishin, ST, LAH
    No, we charge nothing here.

From our donations page ...

Donations to Treeleaf Sangha

There are no charges at all for the activities and teachings provided at Treeleaf Sangha, which are each offered free to all who may benefit. No donations are solicited or required. However, if someone wishes to make a voluntary donation to our community, they may do so at the following link with our gratitude. If you wish to make a donation, we ask you to consider a suggested MONTHLY DONATION OF US$5 or $10 ($60 or $120 PER YEAR), with the understanding that people who have little or no money should know especially that it is fine to donate less than such amounts or nothing at all. If one has more money, and feels it is right, one can donate more than such amounts. All donations are completely voluntary, without obligation, according to ability, and as one feels in one’s heart. Newcomers should wait some months until making sure they feel at home in our community before even considering to donate. We leave it to each person to decide.

https://www.treeleaf.org/donations-to-treeleaf-sangha/
    Gassho, Jundo

STLah

From the dualistic perspective nothing is cheap.

You charge nothing and give Nothing back. Very expensive.

Gassho, Jishin, ST, LAH

I give emptiness, not nothing.

Which ain't bupkis.

Gassho, J

STlah

I give emptiness, not nothing.

Which ain't bupkis.

Gassho, J
    For those folks not familiar with the term ...

Bupkis = American slang, borrowed from the Yiddish for "goat poop," it means something worthless, or zero or nothing.

Goat poop is empty, but emptiness ain't goat poop. (A Koan)

Gassho, J

STLah

Quote Originally Posted by bad_buddha_007 View Post
    In case it is useful, the Fees page is here:

https://www.shin-ibs.edu/admissions/tuition-fees/

It is $2475 per course, with the certificate being 6 courses I think I will wait until I can be a Senior Auditor, which will then be $415 per course.
    Wow, that price is more expensive than my grad school classes were!

Wait until Ango/Jukai season (just around the corner!) -- you "can" learn plenty (you also get out what you put into it), without needing to take out loans for it.....

, meian st
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyonin View Post
    Oh my...

Makes me wonder.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Gassho
    Onka
    st
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Just to be clear, this is a university program, and a university is justified in charging tuition for academic studies. This is not really a practice or religious program, but historical studies. It is not any different from what one would pay to go to college and study English literature or electrical engineering.

My kid who is a sophomore at Virginia Tech right now is taking a good portion of our savings, and a good college in America ain't cheap! (Even if I think it should be.)

Gassho, J

STLah