Thread: Our practice

Our practice

After a long time of over-thinking, hankering for stupid ideas, and over-complication and confusion about our practice, I came back to what our practice is at it's core:

Sit...

Be at peace and be kind...

Help to make the world a better place for all...

Gassho,

Tom

Sat
    “Do what’s hard to do when it is the right thing to do.”- Robert Sopalsky

Quote Originally Posted by StoBird View Post
    After a long time of over-thinking, hankering for stupid ideas, and over-complication and confusion about our practice, I came back to what our practice is at it's core:

Sit...

Gassho,

Tom

Sat

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

It definitely doesn't have to be complicated.

When the Buddha himself was asked to give the aim of the path, he gave a very similar answer:

"To avoid all evil
    To cultivate good
    To cleanse one's mind"

-- Dhammapada, 183.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    It definitely doesn't have to be complicated.
    And you really know a thing or two about Zen simplicity. If I remember correctly, you once told me that you can find joy in spending an afternoon watching squirrels in your yard. That impressed me a lot, it is a quality or skill that I (and probably most people) lack, to really see, hear and deeply find joy and wisdom in simplicity and nature as you are able to do. It is something that I am trying to cultivate.

Gassho,

Tom

Sat

And you really know a thing or two about Zen simplicity. If I remember correctly, you once told me that you can find joy in spending an afternoon watching squirrels in your yard. That impressed me a lot, it is a quality or skill that I (and probably most people) lack, to really see, hear and deeply find joy and wisdom in simplicity and nature as you are able to do. It is something that I am trying to cultivate.
    I think that when it comes to practice, you definitely have the right idea not to overcomplicate things. However, we also try not to reify simplicity and give it some kind of special status. Sometimes life will allow simplicity, and sometimes not. Both are fine. It is the ease with which we let them be just as they are which is, to me, the most important (and most probably difficult) thing.

Part of my ability to watch squirrels comes from having a chronic illness and some days I don't have the energy to do much else. Other days my life is probably as busy as everyone else. I do, however, totally agree that taking time to stop and just observe is really important. This is exactly what we do in Zazen but we certainly don't have to limit it to our time on the cushion.

Even finding moments to stop and rest is important. Jundo often talks about 'insta-zazen' when we just take a minute, or even a few breaths, just to rest in what is happening. We don't always have a whole afternoon to watch squirrels but most of us can spare a few moments just to touch base.

I hope that life is treating you well at the moment, Tom. It sounds like you are in a good place.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Sit...

Lovely. There certainly are worse philosophies in life!

And Kokuu speaks great wisdom: When life is simple, be simple. When life gets complicated, let it be complicated ... for doing so is the true Simplicity.

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Lovely. There certainly are worse philosophies in life!

And Kokuu speaks great wisdom: When life is simple, be simple. When life gets complicated, let it be complicated ... for doing so is the true Simplicity.

Gassho, J

STLah

Gassho,
    Tom

Sat

That is why this practice fits me. But I do admit the simplicity can be difficult lol. I think we as humans have a tendency to overcomplicate things.

Gassho,
    Ekai

SAT

I love it! One of the big reasons I gravitated toward this practice years ago is because it seemed like a perfect way to counterbalance my tendency to overthink things.

Gassho,
    Rick
    ST

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Thank you for this. Makes a lot of sense.

New member here (I joined yesterday)

Sat today (first time doing Zazen!)

Gassho (right??),
    Brian

Welcome, Brian!

Gassho (this is a verbal indication of holding our hands palm-to-palm, kind of like saying, "Namaste!")
    Sat, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Thank you, Geika!

Gassho,
    Brian

Gassho. It will take me some time to understand how to navigate the site and the posts. Thank you for your patience with me. kaye

Quote Originally Posted by Kayelinden@gmail.com View Post
    Gassho. It will take me some time to understand how to navigate the site and the posts. Thank you for your patience with me. kaye
    If you need any assistance, don’t hesitate to ask!
    Also, if you’re more of a mobile user, Tapatalk is what many of us use and it makes the experience of using the forum a bit more familiar.

Sat Today
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi