Thread: ARTS: Before zen existed in Japan there was Ainu (and their music)

ARTS: Before zen existed in Japan there was Ainu (and their music)

Frosty (Mark McNeil) has been on a mission to educate anyone tuning in to interesting music for decades, as well as producing his own music. I've known him more than 20 years, back when I was in the music biz in L.A., and he keeps spreading love.

"This special episode of Celsius Drop highlights the history and future of indigenous Ainu music from the Hokkaido region of Japan through the lens of OKI who carries forward the aural traditions of his culture and breaths new life into this heritage through his innovations on the tonkori and fluid sonic experiments. Tonkori in the moonlight is a collection of OKI’s music from 1996-2006 that’s out now on Mais um Disco."
    https://www.dublab.com/archive/frost...gYuqhrECehq0N0
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-25-2022 at 11:31 PM.

Fantastic share! Thanks Chris!! Already added OKI to my library!

Sat Today
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Nice, Chris, thank you.

Seemed to have a soothing effect even on our cat, who curled up near the speakers.

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by kurisu View Post
    Frosty (Mark McNeil) has been on a mission to educate anyone tuning in to interesting music for decades, as well as producing his own music. I've known him more than 20 years, back when I was in the music biz in L.A., and he keeps spreading love.

"This special episode of Celsius Drop highlights the history and future of indigenous Ainu music from the Hokkaido region of Japan through the lens of OKI who carries forward the aural traditions of his culture and breaths new life into this heritage through his innovations on the tonkori and fluid sonic experiments. Tonkori in the moonlight is a collection of OKI’s music from 1996-2006 that’s out now on Mais um Disco."
    https://www.dublab.com/archive/frost...gYuqhrECehq0N0
    Thank you, Kurisu.

Gassho.

Sat

Sent from my Lenovo TB-7305F using Tapatalk

That is really interesting! Thank you for sharing, Kurisu.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Happy that you all enjoyed that. I am considering going to see OKI Dub band live in Tokyo in a couple weeks, though the time will make it difficult.

In any case there are other Ainu musicians making (what I think) is rewarding music. Umeko Ando being one.