Thread: The Zen Master's Dance - 22 - King of Samadhis (Bottom of p. 80 to Top of p. 84)

The Zen Master's Dance - 22 - King of Samadhis (Bottom of p. 80 to Top of p. 84)

Dear Bodyminds that are not Bodyminds,

We continue from the end of p. 80 ("Clearly, for the last four or five hundred years ... "), ending at the very top of p. 84 (just before "The Buddha Shakyamuni addressed a great assembly ... ")

Zazen of the body, of the mind, of the bodymind, of the bodymind that is not the bodymind.

I believe that there is Zazen which is more a mental experience of clarity and letting go ...

... and more a bodily experience, such as in dancing or sports ...

... but truly Zazen is always both.

More than words, this must be experienced.

I have developed the theory, based on years of observing many kinds of Zazen practitioners, that different folks tend to lean to different poles of mind/body/bodymind forms of Zazen. Which do you feel suits you most?

Do you think that physical activity (e.g., dancing, hiking, weight training, etc.) can perfectly substitute for seated still Zazen? Or do your feel that there is something special about seated Zazen that is unlike moving Zazen? (Hint: I am completely biased toward this latter "position," pun intended. )

Gassho, Jundo

ST

ADVANCE NOTICE: When we end this chapter, we will take a break from my book, "The Zen Master's Dance," for awhile. We will turn to you ... I mean, "To You" ...

Before that, however, we will have an interlude for a few weeks with more Koans from "The Book of Equinimity" collection. If you don't have Rev. Shishin Wick's fine commentary (highly recommended), do not worry as I will provide links to an online version.

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/foru...-of-Equanimity
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

For me it was always a triangle: zazen, study of Buddhist/Zen books and practising the way of Tea. The three support each other.

aprapti

sat the whole week, sailing

ps i can't wait to start with 'to you'

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

I have definitely had instances where performing a physical activity such as running or playing guitar becomes so effortless that it is what I believe is meant by dropping away body and dropping away mind but I tend to think that there is something special about sitting Zazen. Maybe it is because when the body is moving there is a distraction but sitting Zazen there is less distractions at least from the body.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

Quote Originally Posted by Tairin View Post
    I have definitely had instances where performing a physical activity such as running or playing guitar becomes so effortless that it is what I believe is meant by dropping away body and dropping away mind but I tend to think that there is something special about sitting Zazen. Maybe it is because when the body is moving there is a distraction but sitting Zazen there is less distractions at least from the body.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    I was thinking about my answer and I’ve decided I don’t like my choice of word “distraction”. I’d rather use “focus”. I think any sort of effortlessness or dropping away that is experienced while running or playing guitar is more like the dropping away that would be felt in some forms of mediation where one is sitting with a Koan, staring at a point, or reciting a mantra. Yes there is a dropping away but there is something that is occupying the body and mind. Shikantaza (at least my understanding of it) takes away even those elements and leaves us with “open spaciousnesses”. It is the lack of anchor that I think makes Shikantaza “special”

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

I don’t think there is a substitute for zazen, but I also try to live like all of my life is practice: work practice, exercise practice, study practice, liturgy practice, family practice, etc. So although only zazen is zazen I think it informs other areas of my life; practice to me means an openness and doing something, but also a constant learning, growing, a flexibility of mind

gassho

risho
    -stlah

There's definitely something remarkable about seated Zazen. (And I say this having tried and failed at numerous forms of "meditation" practice in the past - quotes because I know that Zazen is NOT meditation, just similar enough in appearance to confuse people.) I took to Zazen like a fish to water, my whole mind and body and body-mind said "this is what we're supposed to be doing!" and I haven't missed a day of sitting since the first. (In fact I feel off kilter now until I sit my morning Zazen.)

Physical activity is wonderful and I wouldn't want to give it up either, but in my (limited) experience it's not the same thing at all.

Gassho,
    SatLah
    Kelly