Thread: Ecodharma, chapter 6 (part three)

Ecodharma, chapter 6 (part three)

This week’s reading is from page 168 to page 173 (from The Ecosattva Path to end of chapter). This is the last formal chapter although there is an afterword and five appendices, which we will continue to read together.

In this part of the book, David Loy talks about being an Ecosattva which is clearly related to the bodhisattva path but with an ecological focus. Being an Ecosattva similarly focusses on action motivated by love and compassion which recognises the interdependence of all things.

Being socially active and motivated does not mean neglecting our own personal practice. In fact, with the toll that social activism can take on people’s mental health as they fight against the status quo of systems as they are, our personal practice becomes even more important.

Loy goes on to talk about acting without attachment to results and with the attitude of not knowing what the future will be, and if we will manage to influence it.

Questions

How easy is it to act according the quote cited from the Bhagavad Gita, “Your right is to the work, never to the fruits”, to act without attachment to the results, especially with something so important as the climate crisis?

How much does acting without attachment bear a similarity to our bodhisattva vows such as saving all beings?

How can we put being Ecosattvas into practice in our lives?

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

How easy is it to act according the quote cited from the Bhagavad Gita, “Your right is to the work, never to the fruits”, to act without attachment to the results, especially with something so important as the climate crisis?

I think it is one thing to work and not see the fruits. That can be difficult to appreciate but then those of us that are parents probably do this most days so for me, it isn't the biggest leap. The point that I need constantly reminding of is to not attach to the results and that is an ongoing practice. It is bad enough when it is something as small as my terrible onion harvest this year, but as Loy keeps reminding us, it can be overwhelming when it comes to something as big and important as our planet.

How much does acting without attachment bear a similarity to our bodhisattva vows such as saving all beings?

I think most of us have pointed out the similarities to the bodhisattva vows at some point in this reading group, and it's not a huge stretch to move the impossibility of vowing to save all beings and extended that to the entire planet. As Loy says, we've already volunteered for one impossible job!

I think Loy has given us a good framework to use as a philosophical/religious underpinning for activism from a Buddhist perspective and for dealing with the personal pressures of activism. It seems the challenge now is to find the cause we each feel called to focus on and work out how to apply it which may be a good point for future discussion.

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah

Not being attached to results has always been difficult for me to do, especially when it comes to issues like species extinctions and climate change.

Heiso captured my thoughts on putting the Ecosattva practice into our life.

Doshin
    St

Actually with something like climate crisis I find it is easier to act knowing I may not see the fruits. The climate crisis is so huge it exceeds my ability to conceptualize it all and to see any obvious solution. I am just doing my best and trying to follow the guidance of the experts hoping that how ever small and modest my personal impact is it is making a difference.

Very similar because again the Bodhisattva vows ask us to aim to accomplish tasks that exceed my ability to conceptualize completely. Again…. I just do my best.

I think to that the challenge here isn’t to look at any of these things as a concrete list of ToDos to stroke off. They challenge our very approach to life and ask for a radical change.

Already answered above but for me it is all about doing my best based on the guidance of the experts I trust. At the same time not becoming overly attached to an outcome I can not conceptualize.

I am glad we will continue on to the Afterward and Appendices. Once this is done is there another book in this vein which we can study together? I’ve enjoyed the discussions and hope we can continue

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    Last edited by Tairin; 06-25-2022 at 02:59 PM.
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Tairin,

Another book would be good. I would like to do that. May I suggest
    you (or others here) provide recommendations of one that captures your attention. There are several Buddhist authors such as Joanna Macy and Stephanie Kaza.

Doshin
    St

Not easy at all. However, I've always loved that story: The cruel king decides to burn Abraham. An ant hears this and sets off with a sip of water in its mouth. When someone who knows the language of animals sees him, he asks: "Where are you going?" The ant replies: "I'm going to put out the fire that will burn Abraham." Surprised, the man asks: "But you can never get there in time! And even if you do, a drop of water is not enough to put out the fire!" The ant replies: "I know, but I want it to be clear whose side I'm on." More or less, it's the same situation. We, as individuals, cannot solve all of the environmental problems by ourselves. Yet, it's our responsibility (or "moral task") to do the best we are able to.

They are very similar, I suppose. As people suggested above, the vows that we repeat day after day, are already very alike to act without attachment.

I believe that this is a matter of personal opportunities. On the path of Bodhisattvas, even a single act of generosity, harmlessness, and selflessness means a lot. Similarly, on the path of Ecosattvas, even a very basic practice of responsibility can be of great importance. For example, I am a smoker. It is not a very pleasant or environmental habit, and it's a very "non-Zen" trait. Yet, this is the fact. However, I haven't dropped a cigarette butt on the ground since I started reading this book with all of you - whereas this was something "normal" for me as a selfish smoker. This is a very tiny step. In fact, some may not even consider this as a "step" as it is something that should have been already. Yet, it's something for me as I am some miles behind. So, I believe that everything can be an Ecosattva practice if it's something beneficial or less harmless to the environment.

Gassho, Doğukan.
    Sat.

ps. I also would like to read another book. Indeed, that'd be great.

I am catching up to the discussion.

I feel like this is a facet of modern life that may be somewhat easier for us than it was for people in the Buddha’s time. I imagine that their acts of compassion were moved by what they encountered right in front of them. A good many of my attempts to help other people or animals or a cause are directed far away from me to people and places I will never see or know. I can’t see my carbon footprint, nor can I see it shrink by my actions. That’s not to say I don’t care about the outcomes, but I cannot manipulate them and I must move on to the next thing.

What would a bodhisattva grasp at? Do their actions not arise selflessly? No self, no attachment.

I have been walking around with this question for the past couple of weeks. It feels a bit different than the natural arising of compassion and action that I associate with a bodhisattva’s activity. It must be an intention, a question that I’m always asking..because I do not have the knowledge on my own and must rely on guidance as to where best to direct my efforts. I guess this is why Loy mentions that developing sangha is especially important.
    Gassho,
    Naiko
    st

Quote Originally Posted by Dogukan View Post
    The cruel king decides to burn Abraham. An ant hears this and sets off with a sip of water in its mouth. When someone who knows the language of animals sees him, he asks: "Where are you going?" The ant replies: "I'm going to put out the fire that will burn Abraham." Surprised, the man asks: "But you can never get there in time! And even if you do, a drop of water is not enough to put out the fire!" The ant replies: "I know, but I want it to be clear whose side I'm on."
    Great story and very applicable to this discussion. I’ve never encountered this particular story before. Thank you for sharing

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods