Thread: History of seiza bench

History of seiza bench

I wanted to ask, does anyone know about the history of the seiza bench? I actually thought it was a Vipassana thing (In ukrainian it literally caled "meditation bench", so I even didn't suspect it had anything to do with Zen)

One person asked me how often these things are used in Zen. I didn't find an answer. I said that people with injuries can use the seiza bench. But are healthy people allowed to use them, for example, in the last zazen of seshin, when they are tired?

Gassho
    Wabo
    ST

Every zen center I have been to has had people using them. They are quite common. I would think, along with chairs, that anything which allows us to sit is a wonderful aid.

Gassho, Neika
    —st

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Neika / Ian Adams

寧 Nei - Peaceful/Courteous
    火 Ka - Fire

Look for Buddha outside your own mind, and Buddha becomes the devil. --Dogen

Hi Wabo,

I have not seen any "Seiza bench" for Zazen in Japan:

Sometimes, in western Zen, the Zafu is turned sideways and sat on in Seiza, but I have not seen that in Japan either.

Japanese traditional Seiza is very different from western Seiza, and involve sitting directly on the heals:

It can be very painful, even most modern younger Japanese struggle with it.

What they do have in Japan, for modern people not accustomed to Seiza, are little benches and supports similar to the "Seiza bench." However, I have not seen these used in Japan for Zazen, because Seiza is not common for Zazen. (A monk or lay person will sit Seiza in a Zen temple, but at other times such as for tea, a formal greeting time or during a funeral. I do not believe that the monk would use the Seiza bench even then, however) ...

My guess is that something like that is the origin of the "Seiza bench." I am not aware that "Seiza" or anything like it is a common way to sit in Burma, Thailand or South Asia. For that reason, I do not think that the Seiza bench originated in South Asia and with Vipassana practitioners.

All that said, I believe that the Seiza Bench is an EXCELLENT addition to Zen practice, allowing a stable, balanced, comfortable way of sitting for those who have difficulty with the crossed legged positions such as Lotus. No problem. It is for anyone at any time, not only for people with injuries or tired.

As well, a chair can also be used for people with physical need, as did my good friend (and a very traditional teacher) Dai-En Bennage Roshi, when she developed leg problems in her later years:

Gassho, J

STLah

Sorry to run long
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-17-2022 at 11:13 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

P.S. - Apparently, there is a yoga pose similar to Seiza, called Vajrasana ...

I have not seen this in Zen meditation, however.

Hi

I used to see seiza bench at temple for customer and foreigner.

And also I used to see at Zazen-do but not inside,but outside.
    Lots of temple do not allow to sit with chair.

Anyway I sit Seiza for 3 hours.

Hope to have good practice.

As I can talk English step by step,you will sit Seiza.
    Seiza is formal style at tea time,and Shodo,meal,Ikebana.

Gassho
    Sat Sesshin
    LAH
    kakunen
    Last edited by Kakunen; 06-18-2022 at 01:12 AM.

I used to see seiza bench at temple for customer and foreigner.
    I think you mean for guest and foreigners, and in the outside "gaitan" area?

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    I think you mean for guest and foreigners, and in the outside "gaitan" area?

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    Thank you Jundo.

Guest is Danka.Danka is kind of family of temple.

Yes outside is Gaitan.

Anyway please don’t do too much effort like me.

Gassho
    Kakunen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you all

Wabo
    ST