Thread: Ecodharma, chapter 6 (part two)

Ecodharma, chapter 6 (part two)

This part consists of pages 159-168 (from The Divine Abodes to The Ecosattva Path)

The Divine Abodes (or Brahmaviharas) comprise loving kindness (metta), compassion (karuna), sympathetic joy (mudita) and equanimity (upekkha). I have been taught that love is the foremost of these and the other three arise from that. When love meets suffering, it becomes compassion. When it meets happiness, it manifests as sympathetic joy. Love meeting all circumstances equally is equanimity.

Loy talks about gratitude being important in terms of being satisfied with what we have as being part of metta. He goes on to explore the bodhisattva vow of saving all beings as being the basis of awakened action, not as a philosophical idea preventing seeing samsara and nirvana as the same thing. He also looks at each of the Mahayana perfections (paramitas) with respect to action.

Questions

How easy do you find it to have compassion and love for those opposing environmental legislation, those denying the need or it, and those putting profit ahead of planetary wellbeing?

What does the ‘awakened mind’ of bodhicitta look like in terms of the current environmental catastrophe?

Which of the six paramitas seem most important to you in terms of environmental activism?

Gassho
    Kokuu

When love meets suffering, it becomes compassion. When it meets happiness, it manifests as sympathetic joy. Love meeting all circumstances equally is equanimity.
    I really like this, thank you Kokuu.

How easy do you find it to have compassion and love for those opposing environmental legislation, those denying the need or it, and those putting profit ahead of planetary wellbeing?

This is definitely something I need to work on. Rationally, I know this opposition ultimately comes from a place of suffering but I still find myself becoming frustrated and even angry. I could really do with developing some karuna in this regard.

What does the ‘awakened mind’ of bodhicitta look like in terms of the current environmental catastrophe?

As Loy points out, traditionally Bodhicitta has related to a path of individual liberation which while admirable might not to be a huge amount of use to a planet-wide catastrophe on its own. But, as Loy also suggests, the perfections we develop on that path - especially the awareness of sila, the endurance of kshanti, and energy of virya seem can be applied to the collective suffering of our planet.

Which of the six paramitas seem most important to you in terms of environmental activism?

Whoops, I think I covered this above.

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah

Sadly I lost my first post so this is my second try.

I don’t think this is easy at all to have compassion and love for those opposing environmental legislation or putting profit ahead of planetary wellbeing.

It is easier to feel compassionate especially for those that really just are ignorant of our actions. I also think of all the people who are scrabbling just to have food or shelter, those that aspire for a better life for themselves and their families. Who am I to say they can’t have that because the planet can not support everyone having the same comfortable life? The reality is that those of us with so much must be the ones who make the biggest concessions.

I think Rabbi Tarfon's quote sums this up for me

"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Act justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. It is not your responsibility to finish the work [of Tikkun olam, healing the world], but you are not free to desist from it either."

I agree with Loy that patience (Kshanti) and sustained effort (Virya) seem like the most critical of the paramitas when faced with the tasks of environmental activism

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    Last edited by Tairin; 06-17-2022 at 09:15 PM.

I struggle. It’s easier to forgive ignorance and fear of change, but the people actively and purposely spreading disinformation honestly make my blood boil. Recently thousands of cows died of heat stress during a heatwave in Kansas. On every article about it, on multiple sites, over several days, there was a swarm of comments calling it suspicious, impossible and part of a conspiracy, all using much the same language. Some of the people who spread that ridiculous lie must have done so out of ignorance, but it felt entirely too coordinated, and that just seems so evil. And so I struggle.

The intention feels all the more urgent to awaken for all. I’m grateful for the beautiful quote by Rabbi Tarfon that Tairin kindly shared.

I guess all, but Prajna, Kshanti, and Virya seem particularly pertinent.

Gassho,
    Naiko
    st lah

Yes I struggle with compassion for those who work against the future for those who come after. I shared my feelings when discussing anger previously. I understand what the teachings provide I am just too imperfect to embrace them completely. But I try.

I too find Rabbi Tarfon’s quote inspiring but also a great teaching.

Doshin
    St