Thread: Zazen experiences

JohnS

Zazen experiences

I have been having a roller coaster of experiences of late. At times, there is crystal clear "now", nothing to achieve, truly just sitting, other times overwhelming agitation. What could this mean?

Gassho

John

SatToday

Life has its ups and downs, goes upside down, rights itself, and just like the roller coaster, it stops back right back where you started, you get off, gather your bearings, and get back on for some more
    #sattoday

Sent from my SM-A325M using Tapatalk
    Oh, yeah. If I didn't have inner peace, I'd go completely psycho on all you guys all the time.
    Carl Carlson

I’ll tell you what it says on my rakusu: “Just Sit!” I am very grateful for this sangha; never alone; we share our ups and downs together

gassho

risho
    -stlah

Quote Originally Posted by JohnS View Post
    I have been having a roller coaster of experiences of late. At times, there is crystal clear "now", nothing to achieve, truly just sitting, other times overwhelming agitation. What could this mean?

Gassho

John

SatToday
    I’d not give it too much thought, regardless of how amazing or frustrating it might be. We are so determined most of the time that meaning needs to be assigned to everything and really, there is nothing, on the cushion or off the cushion that we can “process mentally” as an experience that’s not just a fantasy, a reflection in the water, a mirage, a product of conditions. Personally, I just go back to cushion daily with no added expectation and get off it with no need to find meaning in just sitting.

Sat Today
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Same situation here!

Well, probably it means that both our serenity, "here-and-now"ness and overwhelming agitations are subject to change. Nothing lasts. So, we should be grateful for that roller coaster as it proves us this basic truth. Zazen is always the same zazen. On the other hand, how we feel about it is always changing. Neither the flag nor the wind moves, it's our minds that move. We are investigating that mind by sitting. It's a bit unpleasant to see how monkey-like that mind is, yet without sitting, we would never truly know that aspect of our minds. Good practices!

Gassho, Doğukan.
    Sat & LaH.

There is no good zazen or bad zazen; just your zazen.

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Dogukan View Post
    Same situation here!

Well, probably it means that both our serenity, "here-and-now"ness and overwhelming agitations are subject to change. Nothing lasts. So, we should be grateful for that roller coaster as it proves us this basic truth. Zazen is always the same zazen. On the other hand, how we feel about it is always changing. Neither the flag nor the wind moves, it's our minds that move. We are investigating that mind by sitting. It's a bit unpleasant to see how monkey-like that mind is, yet without sitting, we would never truly know that aspect of our minds. Good practices!

Gassho, Doğukan.
    Sat & LaH.

All the advice from the several folks above is so good!

Weather changes, baseball (cricket?) pitchers throw a strike then a miss, mountains and valleys roll up and down.

Zazen is sat at the still center of all such.
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-12-2022 at 11:46 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I have been having a roller coaster of experiences of late. ...
    All the world is a roller coaster! Cycles upon cycles!

Even the still still place has its ups and downs, comes and goes. Sometimes the moon is hidden by clouds or rain. At such times, we just still have faith that the moon and boundless open sky are still there, seen or unseen. In fact, the clouds and rain are just the moon and sky in other guise, and each raindrop embodies the whole sky and moon.

Last edited by Jundo; 06-13-2022 at 01:19 PM.

Gassho

John

SatToday
    There’s a tension, a dis-ease because man divides himself but wants to be wholeness. Through just sitting meditation the separation is illuminated

Sat/lah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Quote Originally Posted by Shokai View Post
    There is no good zazen or bad zazen; just your zazen.

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    This!! Took me a while to accept it, but when I did it was amazeballz...
    #sattoday

Oh, yeah. If I didn't have inner peace, I'd go completely psycho on all you guys all the time.
    Carl Carlson

I replaced the video above with something more relevant.

Truly, the world, the universe, our bodies, our lives ... move in cycles. Zazen too.

Gassho, J

STLah

Quote Originally Posted by Risho View Post
    I’ll tell you what it says on my rakusu: “Just Sit!” I am very grateful for this sangha; never alone; we share our ups and downs together

gassho

risho
    -stlah
    Yours too?

Quote Originally Posted by Jishin View Post
    Yours too?
    Well this is odd - I have this shirt that says "Just do it!". I thought I was the only one - turns out they are mass produced.

Gassho

Risho
    -stlah

Quote Originally Posted by Risho View Post
    Well this is odd - I have this shirt that says "Just do it!". I thought I was the only one - turns out they are mass produced.

Gassho

Risho
    -stlah
    Yes, I buy the "Just Sit" cheap from a factory in Shanghai.

Gassho, J

STLah

My first “Zen” teacher was obsessed with experiences. Always asking if anyone had anything to share from the previous week sitting at home. Always asking if anyone thought they’d had an ‘enlightenment’ experience. Of course, this same person also used to tell us that we needed to control our emotions, that zen was all about emotional discipline and never getting upset with anything.

Gassho
    Neika

-st

Neika / Ian Adams

寧 Nei - Peaceful/Courteous
    火 Ka - Fire

Look for Buddha outside your own mind, and Buddha becomes the devil. --Dogen

Quote Originally Posted by Neika View Post
    My first “Zen” teacher was obsessed with experiences. Always asking if anyone had anything to share from the previous week sitting at home. Always asking if anyone thought they’d had an ‘enlightenment’ experience. Of course, this same person also used to tell us that we needed to control our emotions, that zen was all about emotional discipline and never getting upset with anything.

Gassho
    Neika

-st
    Neika, was that in a mixed Soto-Rinzai lineage? I recall that you used to sit with the Zen Center of Los Angeles. Even so, I would not expect anyone there to advise "never getting upset about anything."

Gassho, Jundo

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Neika, was that in a mixed Soto-Rinzai lineage? I recall that you used to sit with the Zen Center of Los Angeles. Even so, I would not expect anyone there to advise "never getting upset about anything."

Gassho, Jundo
    No, this was actually at a Unitarian church in my hometown while I was still in high school, I'm thinking mid or late 80's. I don't recall if he was a Unitarian minister or not, or what his credentials actually were, but I do recall it was billed as a Zen class. My mother got me in since I was pretty obsessed with my martial arts and Japanese philosophy at the time. Fortunately, I later was able to sit at ZCLA and train with their staff which was, needless to say, a completely different experience.

Gassho,
    Neika
    Neika / Ian Adams

火 Ka - Fire

Quote Originally Posted by Neika View Post

Gassho
    Neika

-st

Neika,
    From (more that one) personal experience, I will just say that just because someone or something identifies itself as a zen teacher or zen class, does not necessarily mean that's what it is.

Gassho
    ST/lah
    Shoki

Quote Originally Posted by Shoki View Post
    Neika,
    From (more that one) personal experience, I will just say that just because someone or something identifies itself as a zen teacher or zen class, does not necessarily mean that's what it is.

Gassho
    ST/lah
    Shoki
    This is very true. Though in thinking about this some more last night, I am left wondering how much of that was simply the fact that I was a teenager and perhaps not understanding. Without remembering who that teacher was... it is very possible that the student was at fault.

Gassho, Neika
    --st
    Neika / Ian Adams

火 Ka - Fire

Gassho

John

SatToday
    Hi John,
    An experience that I had many years ago worried me a lot. The monks where I was at the time didn't offer much advice. And I left. If you can, please understand from my mistake - zazen can be all kinds of things, the best advice is to set these experiences aside and continue to sit. Don't run away like I did.

Gasshō
    Seiko
    stlah
    Gandō Seiko
    頑道清光
    (Stubborn Way of Pure Light)

My street name is 'Al'.

Any words I write here are merely the thoughts of an apprentice priest, just my opinions, that's all.

I have only been sitting Zazen for a relatively short amount of time, but already I'm seeing changes in my practice.

Today I noticed that, instead of TRYING to focus on the breath with effort (when my brain wouldn't shut up) I was simply EXPERIENCING my breath, with wonder and curiosity.

Gassho,
    SatLah
    Kelly

In the wise words of Jeffrey "The Dude" Lebowski, "Strikes and gutters." There are many ups and downs in life, and the only way that I've found to get through it is to let things be as they are and adapt. You just take the weirdness and work with it.

Gassho
    Sat today/LaH,
    Choboku

Quote Originally Posted by Choboku View Post
    In the wise words of Jeffrey "The Dude" Lebowski, "Strikes and gutters." There are many ups and downs in life, and the only way that I've found to get through it is to let things be as they are and adapt. You just take the weirdness and work with it.

Gassho
    Sat today/LaH,
    Choboku
    The Dude abides
    #sattoday

Carl Carlson

For some of us, chemistry of the brain, delicate bodies, call for different forms of serenity and the serenity comes and goes. When I feel calm and normal, pain is manageable with chemotherapy, mind feels better with with advanced medication and then comes sitting meditation. Therapies are helpful and good for full understanding.
    Gassho
    sat/ lah