Thread: ANNOUNCEMENT: THE MONASTERY of OPEN DOORS

ANNOUNCEMENT: THE MONASTERY of OPEN DOORS

Master Dogen declared in Bendowa:

The Buddhist Ancestors, overflowing with compassion, opened wide a great gate of compassion so that all sentient beings may enter and realize the Truth. Thus, what human being or god would not wish to enter? ... Being able to do so rests only upon whether or not one has the willingness. It is not dependent on whether the body remains at home or leaves home.

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Opening Closed Pathways to Ordination -

~~ The Monastery of Open Doors ~~

Today, as in centuries past, it remains nearly impossible for individuals facing health, disability, age and other equivalent, difficult life obstacles to be ordained and trained for the Buddhist priesthood. People in these circumstances often are unable to travel, or to take up residency in physically demanding Zen training programs. We believe such conditions keep countless sincere, dedicated individuals who would make good Zen priests from having the opportunity to ordain because of their personal situation. Nonetheless, when viewed another way, the very challenges such people live with every day might serve the intentions of priest training, honing Wisdom and Compassion through Zen practice. Truly, illness and other hardships may be life’s most powerful koan, and a hospital bed, wheelchair, or wherever one must be in life can reveal itself as a monastery.

The Monastery of Open Doors (a program of Treeleaf Zendo, a Soto Zen Buddhist Sangha) offers a welcoming environment for people who have:

• long felt a calling to ordination as a Soto Zen Buddhist priest and a role of service to others;
    • 10 years or more of demonstrated, devoted, and consistent Zen practice as a lay person in primarily the Soto Zen Buddhist Tradition; and
    • the willingness and dedication to undertake training as a novice Zen priest; but who have
    • an inability to join in standard, residential priest-training programs at traditional monasteries or Zen centers because of poor health, disability, advanced age, or equivalent life challenges that would prevent one from participating in such a residential program.

It is vital to underline that this program is not for everyone, and in fact, only a select few. Applicants must show, in principle, a decade or more of dedicated Soto Zen practice to date, coupled with evidence of a long standing and sincere calling to service in the priesthood, together with a clear reason why health, disability, age or other life obstacles rendered ordinary priest training avenues impossible. Further, training will not be quick, but requires years of devotion. Training will be largely at a distance, using modern media, which will require the extra dedication, diligence and attention of both teacher and student. This is a rigorous, multi-year process, meant for truly committed individuals who consider the priesthood a lifetime path. No fast shortcut to credentialing as a priest should be expected. There are, in fact, no guarantees of completion or advancement offered at any stage, let alone any promise of eventual authorization as an independent priest or teacher.

If, however, you are sincere in your efforts, trying to do what you can, making a consistent effort over time, we will work with you to provide this training even amidst your other life responsibilities related to health, limitations on your physical or cognitive abilities, duties to care for others, your family, childcare, and the time constraints of your job. If you make the effort, we will work together to build bridges for you to cross.

This is the Monastery of Open Doors: A non-residential path to Soto Zen ordination, the priesthood, and a role of service to others for dedicated, long-time Zen practitioners who live with challenges of health, disability, or equivalent life hardships.

Please note that there is no charge for this program, which is being provided freely as a service to the Zen community by Treeleaf Sangha and its teachers. No financial donation will be requested or required from participants. The true ‘donation’ being asked of you is simply your energy, dedication to training, and focus on helping others.

If you believe that such path may be right for you, please look here for further details and requirements:
    https://www.treeleaf.org/open-doors-monastery/

Gassho, Jundo

A SHAREABLE VERSION of this ANNOUNCEMENT is here:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Amer...1800508051088/

PS for our TREELEAF MEMBERS: The above program for long term Zen Practitioners, practicing 10 years or more with disability and equivalent hardship, shortens a little their path to Ordination based on their long dedication to Soto Zen practice. However, Treeleaf will continue our standard doorway to Ordination for folks who have practiced in our Sangha for, in principle, 5 years or more, and who feel a calling to Ordination. There is not guaranty of Ordination for anyone, but I am willing to begin talking about the possibility with anyone who meets such criteria. Jundo

Last edited by Jundo; 06-07-2022 at 01:25 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Very exciting!

Gassho,
    Koushi
    STLaH
    理道弘志 | Ridō Koushi

Please take this novice priest-in-training's words with a grain of salt.

Blazing more trails! Wonderful!

Naiko
    st lah

A great opportunity for those who feel a deep call towards this path

Gassho, Tomás
    Sat&LaH

Congrats on breaking down barriers! I hope this proves to be an example for other sangha’s and lineages of buddhism for the future!
    Gassho,

Hoko
    法 (Dharma)鼓 (drum)

“Right now, its like this”

Lovely! I hope this open door will welcome many dedicated practitioners! May it be beneficial to all beings!

Sat Today
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

A good thing!

Doshin
    St

Deep Bows
    [st-lh]
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Gassho
    Sat, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

What a wonderful opportunity. Thank you Jundo.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Wonderful! May its doors remain open for a long time.

Gassho,
    Sit.
    Doğukan.

Tony,
    Dharma name= 浄史

Received Jukai in January 2022

The miracle is not to walk on water. The miracle is to walk on the green earth in the present moment, to appreciate the peace and beauty that are available now. - Thích Nhất Hạnh

Wonderful!

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Awesome. Will you be giving this Monastery a Japanese name too, Jundo?

Gassho.

Sat

Sent from my Lenovo TB-7305F using Tapatalk

Lovely!

Gassho

Anchi
    Life itself is the only teacher.
    一 Joko Beck

STLah
    安知 Anchi

Very exciting!!

Deep Bows

Quote Originally Posted by Prashanth View Post
    Awesome. Will you be giving this Monastery a Japanese name too, Jundo?

Gassho.

Sat

Well, I suppose there is ... Kaimon-In

Kai (開 Open) Mon (門 Door/Gate) In (院 Monastery)

Or, as we say down in North Florida, Ya'll comm'on in!

Gassho, J

STlah

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post

Gassho, J

STlah
    開門院 IT’S ACTUALLY AWESOME AND YOU KNOW THAT ..

Sat Today
    Bion
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Sounds like an excellent opportunity to those who feel the call
    #sattoday

Sent from my SM-A325M using Tapatalk
    Oh, yeah. If I didn't have inner peace, I'd go completely psycho on all you guys all the time.
    Carl Carlson

I really like Kaimon-In, it sounds great! Couldn't get a better pun.

Gassho, Tomás
    Sat&LaH

Treeleaf breaking barriers and blazing new trails. Most excellent.

Gassho
    STlah
    Shoki

Wonderful news, I'm looking forward to seeing the Ya'll Comm'on In Monastery blossoming and forging a path for others to follow.

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah

My Kentucky heart would love a hillbilly Monastery.

Tony,
    Dharma name= 浄史

The miracle is not to walk on water. The miracle is to walk on the green earth in the present moment, to appreciate the peace and beauty that are available now. - Thích Nhất Hạnh

Quote Originally Posted by Bion View Post
    開門院 IT’S ACTUALLY AWESOME AND YOU KNOW THAT ..

Sat Today
    Definitely!! .....has a nice ring to it.....Kaimon-In

Gassho.

Sat.

Gassho, J

STlah
    Im still learning Japanese, and I am not fluent. Arnt most temples name end in 時 ?

Difference?

Gassho,

Tony,
    Dharma name= 浄史

Quote Originally Posted by bakera3312 View Post
    Im still learning Japanese, and I am not fluent. Arnt most temples name end in 時 ?

Difference?

Gassho,

Tony,
    The termination is actually 寺 which is also read -dera . For minor temples however, 院 (-in) is used. You would have Kiyomizu-dera but also Byodoin .. ( all of this if I’m not mistaken hehe )

Sat Today
    Bion

The termination is actually 寺 which is also read -dera . For minor temples however, 院 (-in) is used. You would have Kiyomizu-dera but also Byodoin .. ( all of this if I’m not mistaken hehe )

Sat Today
    oops I confused the kanji.

I havnt seen 院 (-in) used. Ill have to keep my eyes out!! Thank you for the help!

Deep Gassho!

Tony,
    Dharma name= 浄史

Quote Originally Posted by bakera3312 View Post
    oops I confused the kanji.

I havnt seen 院 (-in) used. Ill have to keep my eyes out!! Thank you for the help!

Deep Gassho!

Tony,
    Here’s the frontpage of Byōdō-in which I mentioned earlier (also, one of my fav places ) Check out the last kanji

Sat Today
    Bion

The termination is actually 寺 which is also read -dera . For minor temples however, 院 (-in) is used. ...
    Oh, 院/-in (which means something like "academy/institution") is also used for many major or more important temples. Our root temple in Japan, the temple of Niwa Zenji, is the 洞慶院 (Tôkei-in), which became a Soto temple in the 15th century. Although today only a small temple with a few resident priests in training, it is officially ranked as a “Daijuu Zenrin,” one of the “ten great monasteries” of Soto Zen in Japan, and a “Senmon Sodo,” a temple specifically designated for the training of novice priests, and has been the source of a line of Abbots of Dogen's temple, Eihei-ji.

https://eiheizen.jimdofree.com/%E6%B...6%85%E5%B8%AB/
    and
    https://terebess.hu/zen/mesterek/NiwaRempo.html

Gassho, Jundo

** Little known trivia fact: Shunryu Suzuki, later of San Francisco but also from the same region of Japan as the Tokei-in, was the Shike, one of the main monastery officials, of the Tokei-in for some years from 1947.
    http://www.cuke.com/Cucumber%20Proje...u/sr-cv-v.html
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-07-2022 at 01:02 AM.

Oh, 院/-in (which means something like "academy/institution") is also used for many major or more important temples. Our root temple in Japan, the temple of Niwa Zenji, is the 洞慶院 (Tôkei-in), which became a Soto temple in the 15th century. Although today only a small temple with a few resident priests in training, it is officially ranked as a “Daijuu Zenrin,” one of the “ten great monasteries” of Soto Zen in Japan, and a “Senmon Sodo,” a temple specifically designated for the training of novice priests, and has been the source of a line of Abbots of Dogen's temple, Eihei-ji.

https://eiheizen.jimdofree.com/%E6%B...6%85%E5%B8%AB/
    and
    https://terebess.hu/zen/mesterek/NiwaRempo.html

Gassho, Jundo

** Little known trivia fact: Shunryu Suzuki, later of San Francisco but also from the same region of Japan as the Tokei-in, was the Shike, one of the main monastery officials, of the Tokei-in for some years from 1947.
    http://www.cuke.com/Cucumber%20Proje...u/sr-cv-v.html
    Thanks for clarifying! sorry for the confusion there

Sat Today
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-07-2022 at 01:01 AM.
    Bion

very interesting thank you for the clarification! I'm learning Japanese for my PhD I had to switch from Chinese so im still picking it up!

Hopfully in a few years ill be great at it!

Tony,
    Dharma name= 浄史

Somebody asked me what the name Tokei-in means, the name of our root temple, Niwa Zenji's (Nishijima Roshi's teacher) temple.

洞慶院 is Tokei-in.

The 'To' (洞) of Tokei-in is the same '洞 of Soto (曹洞), which refers to our Soto Lineage progenitor in China, the great Tozan (in Japanese, Dongshan in Chinese, 洞山). As a side-note, the 'So' of Soto (曹) likely refers (although scholars debate this sometimes, it is pretty obvious) to the great 6th Ancestor of Zen in China, the Layman Hui-neng (who was also known by the location of his home temple, Sokei (in Japanese, 曹溪慧能 Caoxi Huineng in Chinese).

The 'Kei' (慶) of Tokei-in means something like flourishing, auspiciousness (and sometimes "virtue").

Thus, "Tokei-in" means something like the "temple academy for the auspicious, flourishing virtue of Tozan's line."

Nice name! Let's hope that the Kaimon-in can add to that flourishing!

By the way, if you would like a little visual tour of the Tokei-in, we have one here:

http://www.treeleaf.org/about-tokei-in/tokei-in-1.html

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-07-2022 at 08:59 PM.

Somebody asked me what the name Tokei-in means, the name of our root temple, Niwa Zenji's (Nishijima Roshi's teacher) temple.

洞慶院 is Tokei-in.

The 'To' (洞) of Tokei-in is the same '洞 of Soto (曹洞), which refers to our Soto Lineage progenitor in China, the great Tozan (in Japanese, Dongshan in Chinese, 洞山). As a side-note, the 'So' of Soto (曹) likely refers (although scholars debate this sometimes, it is pretty obvious) to the great 6th Ancestor of Zen in China, the Layman Hui-neng (who was also known by the location of his home temple, Sokei (in Japanese, 曹溪慧能 Caoxi Huineng in Chinese).

The 'Kei' (慶) of Tokei-in means something like flourishing, auspiciousness (and sometimes "virtue").

Thus, "Tokei-in" means something like the "temple academy for the auspicious, flourishing virtue of Tozan's line."

By the way, if you would like a little visual tour of the Tokei-in, we have one here:

Gassho, J

STLah
    Lovely!!!
    You used KAIMON- IN!!! Does that make it official?!?

Sat Today
    Bion

洞慶院 is Tokei-in.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Awesome. Thank you!

Gassho,

Tony,
    Dharma name= 浄史

Lovely!!!
    You used KAIMON- IN!!! Does that make it official?!?

Sat Today
    Your cheerful energy is contagious I would be a tiny bit disappointed if this wasn't the official name honestly, it's awesome

Gassho, Tomás
    Sat

Quote Originally Posted by Tomás ESP View Post
    Your cheerful energy is contagious I would be a tiny bit disappointed if this wasn't the official name honestly, it's awesome

Gassho, Tomás
    Sat
    Haha! You already know me

Sat Today
    Bion

KAIMON- IN!!!
    We will just keep that as its other name, a happy coincidence with a nice meaning.

Sounds too much like a motel ...

Gassho, Jundo

We will just keep that as its other name, a happy coincidence with a nice meaning.

Sounds too much like a motel ...

Gassho, Jundo
    Welcome to the Kaimon-in Tsukuba
    Such a lovely place, such a lovely face
    Plenty of room at the Kaimon-in Tsukuba
    Any time of year
    You can find it here

Sat Today
    Bion

Well I am just boring because I like Treeleaf Monastery of Open Doors….I also prefer vanilla ice cream

Doshin
    St thinking of vanilla

I have undergone serious brain surgery. Therefore, I am a brain trauma survivor. Treeleaf Zendo was there for me through my operation and I had 1/3 chance of not making it through the surgery, but I did. With jubilation and celebration I emerged with only some memory loss, and I too have two other serious disabilities. If I make it through the next two years and four months of work as Ubasoku, as poet here at Treeleaf where I will have been lay member for my impetuous abilities, may I attempt the residency in our monastery? I am a man of 70 years with now 15 or so years left of life if I am lucky? Diligent with new loving kindness, will decide if I will enter this place of learning and dedication. At present I know that I am just a guy who loves learning.
    Gassho
    sat/ lah
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

may I attempt the residency in our monastery?
    Yes. Of course.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Tai Shi,

Write me if you wish the application.

The essays are meant as an opportunity for you also to reflect, within your own heart, on your reasons and motivations for turning toward Ordination and what you feel. I hope that you will take some time to slowly respond, and at length. If you need any assistance with the content, have some difficulty in completing the form, or any question at all, please let me know. I will help you with it.

I cannot promise anyone in particular will be selected this time, but we will consider everyone seriously. Because this program is an experiment, we are trying to be very slow and careful in its development, especially as we begin this first year.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

I believe health age and family concerns leave me no choice but to withdraw my request. My biggest concern is my wife who does not and would not approve. We have decided to enter the next world together.
    Last edited by Tai Shi; 06-23-2022 at 09:59 AM.

I withdraw.
    Gassho
    Sat/ lah
    Last edited by Tai Shi; 06-23-2022 at 09:55 AM. Reason: I could not do what others do.

I take refuge in the Buddha, I take Then Refuge in the Dharma, I take refuge in the Sangha! Meta for me! As I will say metta for others as I realize I can in the here and now, metta for my Sangha.
    Gassho
    sat/ lah
    Last edited by Tai Shi; 06-23-2022 at 05:46 PM. Reason: cannot always spell

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Shi View Post
    I believe health age and family concerns ...
    We try to work with very many kinds of health, age and family concerns, TS. That is no guaranty that priesthood is possible for everyone, but we try to accomodate as we can.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Gassho, J

STlah
    OK, this just blew my mind. 🙏😊❤️

Sharan
    SatToday