Thread: June 3rd-4th, 2022 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI - Farewell, Vimalakirti

June 3rd-4th, 2022 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI - Farewell, Vimalakirti

Today, a final visit with the Vimalakirti Sutra
    (text below in this thread)

We also welcome Showan, showin' his stuff as Doan-Ino

Please sit our Monthly 4-Hour Treeleaf Zazenkai netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 7pm to 11pm, Los Angeles 4pm to 8pm (Friday night), London midnight to 4am and Paris 1am to 5am (early Saturday morning)), and also sitable any time thereafter:

However, "one way" live sitters are encouraged to come into the Zoom sitting, and just leave the camera and microphone turned off: Join live (with or without a camera & microphone) on Zoom at: TREELEAF Now OR at DIRECT ZOOM LINK, password (if needed): dogen

Dharma Talk Audio / Podcast Episode:
    TO BE HERE IN A FEW DAYS
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...i-Sutra-Series

The Sitting Schedule is as follows:

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA IN JAPANESE / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
    01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN & HOKEY-POKEY RITUAL

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
    03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING
    ATTENTION: Everyone, when rising for Kinhin or Ceremonies after Zazen, get up slowly, don't rush, hold something stable, you won't be "late," so TAKE YOUR TIME! Make sure you are careful getting up!

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

Chant Book is here for those who wish to join in: CHANT BOOK LINK

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093

I also recommend a little Talk on why small rituals and procedures are so cherished in the Zendo:

SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: Small Things in the Zendo

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...s-in-the-Zendo

Last edited by Jundo; 06-03-2022 at 07:41 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

We end our series of talks on the Vimalakirti Sutra with the following visit to Buddha, from (mostly) Chapter 12:

~~~~~~~

Vimalakirti, employing his supernatural powers, proceeded to pick up the whole great assembly, along with their lion seats, place them in the palm of his right hand, and journey with them to the place where the Buddha was. After arriving there and depositing them on the ground, he bowed his head at the feet of the Buddha, circled to the right, performing seven circumambulations of the Buddha and, pressing his palms together with a single mind, stood to one side.

Thereupon, the Buddha said to the Licchavi Vimalakirti, "Noble son, when you would see the Tathagata, how do you view him?"

Thus addressed, the Licchavi Vimalakirti said to the Buddha, "Lord, when I would see the Tathagata, I view him by not seeing any Tathagata. Why? I see him as not born from the past, not passing on to the future, and not abiding in the present time. Why? He is the essence which is the reality of matter, but he is not matter. He is the essence which is the reality of sensation, but he is not sensation. He is the essence which is the reality of intellect, but he is not intellect. He is the essence which is the reality of volition, yet he is not volition. He is the essence which is the reality of consciousness, yet he is not consciousness. ... Transcending the scope of eye, ear, nose, tongue, body, and mind, he is not produced in the six sense-media. He is not involved in the three worlds, is free of the three defilements, is associated with the triple liberation ... has truly attained the unattainable.

"The Tathagata ... is not produced from causes, nor does he depend on conditions. He is not without any characteristic, nor has he any characteristic. He has no single nature nor any diversity of natures. He is not a conception, not a mental construction, nor is he a nonconception. He is neither the other shore, nor this shore, nor that between. He is neither here, nor there, nor anywhere else. He is neither this nor that. He cannot be discovered by consciousness, nor is he inherent in consciousness. He is neither darkness nor light. He is neither name nor sign. He is neither weak nor strong. He lives in no country or direction. He is neither good nor evil. He is neither compounded nor uncompounded. He cannot be explained as having any meaning whatsoever.

"The Tathagata is neither generosity nor avarice, neither morality nor immorality, neither tolerance nor malice, neither effort nor sloth, neither concentration nor distraction, neither wisdom nor foolishness. He is inexpressible. He is neither truth nor falsehood; neither escape from the world nor failure to escape from the world; neither cause of involvement in the world nor not a cause of involvement in the world ... He surpasses all measure. He does not go, does not stay, does not pass beyond. He is neither seen, heard, distinguished, nor known. ... Equal toward all things, he does not discriminate between them. He is without reproach, without excess ... He is without activity, without birth, without occurrence, without origin, without production, and without nonproduction. He is without fear ... without sorrow, without joy, and without strain. No verbal teaching can express him.

"Such is the body of the Tathagata and thus should he be seen. Who sees thus, truly sees.

~~~~

At that time Shariputra asked Vimalakirti, "Where did you die before you were reborn here?"

Vimalakirti said, "In the Law that you learned, is there any such thing as dying or being born?"

Shariputra replied, "No, there is no dying or being born."

Vimalakirti: Likewise, reverend Sariputra, as all things neither die nor are reborn, why do you ask, "Where did you die to reincarnate here?" Reverend Sariputra, if one were to ask a man or woman created by a magician where he or she had died to reincarnate there, what do you think he or she would answer?

Sariputra: Noble sir, a magical creation does not die, nor is it reborn.

Vimalakirti: Reverend Sariputra, did not the Tathagata declare that all things have the nature of a magical creation?

Sariputra: Yes, noble sir, that is indeed so.

Vimalakirti: Reverend Sariputra, "death" is an end of performance, and "rebirth" is the continuation of performance. Shariputra, dyíng is in its nature simply the destruction of something that is empty and fraudulent, and being born is in its nature the continuation of something that is empty and fraudulent. But the bodhisattva, though he dies, does not wipe out his good roots, and though he is born, he does not prolong those things that are evil.
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-03-2022 at 07:47 AM.

Our Hokey Pokey today is an early 80s Electro-Pop-Funk version by the X-Visitors ...

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-03-2022 at 06:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Our Hokey Pokey today is an early 80s Electro-Pop-Funk version by the X-Visitors ...

Gassho, J

STLah
    It’ll be the first time in these couple years that I have to skip a hokey pokey. Having some issues with a foot, so I’m temporarily out of service. I will have to sit during most of the zazenkai, and that includes prostrations.. I’ll do the dancing wholeheartedly as usual, but on the inside

Sat Today
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

It’ll be the first time in these couple years that I have to skip a hokey pokey. Having some issues with a foot, so I’m temporarily out of service. I will have to sit during most of the zazenkai, and that includes prostrations.. I’ll do the dancing wholeheartedly as usual, but on the inside
    That is how we roll here. Some of our priests with health and disability restrictions undertake Ceremonies seated, so welcome to the club. Buddha said, aging, sickness ...

Gassho, J

STLah

That is how we roll here. Some of our priests with health and disability restrictions undertake Ceremonies seated, so welcome to the club. Buddha said, aging, sickness ...

Gassho, J

STLah
    Just keep an eye on me, in case I face-plant or something ..

Sat Today
    Bion
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

I'm coming off the tail end of a cold/sinus infection combo so my voice should be nice and resonant for tonight!
    おつかれさまです

Gassho, J

STLah

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

See you tonight folks

Gassho, sat, all that.

N

Bion, if you will observe, since I have no torsion allowed for the left knee for some time now, I "Hokey-Pokey" with my hands, or sometimes just grab the computer and shove it back and forth. Seems to "count."

When for even a moment you express the Buddha’s mudra in the three activities by sitting up straight in harmonization, the whole world of events and experiences becomes the Buddha’s mudra and the whole of space is realized. -- Bendowa
    gassho
    smartie sat and maybe some lah
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Quote Originally Posted by Shōnin Risa Bear View Post
    Bion, if you will observe, since I have no torsion allowed for the left knee for some time now, I "Hokey-Pokey" with my hands, or sometimes just grab the computer and shove it back and forth. Seems to "count."

gassho
    smartie sat and maybe some lah
    You always serve as an amazing example! So, I follow your lead!

Sat Today
    Bion

Hi all

I'll join live today but will have to take my leave at the kinhin before hokey-pokey for childcare reasons. See you soon!

Gassho - Tokan

(satlah - last 24 hours though as only just got up!)

Sorry sangha - had to bail earlier than planned, the sun is shining and the kids need to get out of the house (good job my mic was on mute!)

I will finish the zazenkai later. As always, I'm grateful for the time that I can sit with you all, please excuse my departure today

Gassho, Tokan

(sat (with you) and lah (next))

It was nice sitting together. I'm sorry I had to bow out. I will do the complete zazenkai later this week.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Thank you all very much for your patience and indulgence as I learnt the ropes tonight. I really appreciate it and I enjoyed seeing you all and sitting with you all.

Gassho,
    Showan
    Sat today
    おつかれさまです

That was very lovely ! Thank you everyone!
    Thank you Jundo for your excellent knowledge, clear and concise teachings.
    Much gratitude!

Deep bows
    Anchi
    Life itself is the only teacher.
    一 Joko Beck

STLah
    安知 Anchi

Finished sitting with you this morning. Thanks everyone!
    Gassho,
    Neil

For more than (probably) anyone wants or needs to know about the sacred number "seven" and "seven circumambulations" in Buddhism and a variety of other religions ...

In the present paper the authors endeavors to shed light on the high signification of
    number seven in the religious, cultural, social and mystical background of human
    history. Having analyzed Quranic and biblical contexts, the author presents the
    reader with numerous examples to demonstrate the holiness often attributed to
    number seven. Delving into mythology and sociology he has also provided the reader
    with enough evidence in order to indicate how number seven is reckoned in different
    civilizations. There is an emphasis to trace the historical status of the number in
    Persian context.

http://www.ajssh.leena-luna.co.jp/AJ...13(2.4-30).pdf

More here ...

Seven Reasons We Are Captivated by the Number Seven
    Why a simple number has such psychological and visceral appeal.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...e-number-seven

Gassho, J

STLah

Sorry for popping in and out. I was not feeling well, but I did not want to miss the Vimalakirti finale. Thank you, Jundo, for this teaching.
    Gassho,
    Naiko
    st lah

Doshin
    St

Thank you Jundo for the talk!
    If I am not mistaken Shakyamuni, the historical Buddha, refused to talk about the origins of the cosmos, saying it is not important for libaration. So how did we get from this to the God like understanding of a Buddha as explained by Vimalakirti? Also, is the Buddha Vimalakirti is talking to Shakyamuni, or some other super-Buddha?
    Gassho, Kiri
    Sat/Lah
    希 rare
    理 principle
    (Nikolas)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    Thank you Jundo for the talk!
    If I am not mistaken Shakyamuni, the historical Buddha, refused to talk about the origins of the cosmos, saying it is not important for libaration. So how did we get from this to the God like understanding of a Buddha as explained by Vimalakirti?
    Well, I would say that the Vimalakirti Sutra also does not comment on the big questions ... such as whether the universe is finite or infinite, cause or uncaused, one thing or many, created or uncreated, eternal in time or not eternal, etc. etc. ... but rather leaps through all such questions to something more, transcendent. In fact, it answers all such questions by leaping past the questions and all such opposites. I would say that it is the same leap that the historical Buddha made in leaping through Samsara, and all its broken pieces and measures. The leap is not an ignoring or ducking of the questions, but their ultimate resolution by declaring the questions are wrong, narrow, artificial dichotomies of the human brain ... and there is this more.

Someone like Dogen and the Huayan Buddhists of the Mahayana then emphasized that this leaping past, and ultimate resolutions, is ALSO precisely this world of finite things and measures, such that each grain of sand and moment fully embodies this which leaps through all individual pieces and measures.

Also, is the Buddha Vimalakirti is talking to Shakyamuni, or some other super-Buddha?
    YES! All of the above. Technically, in the story, the Buddha is a particular emanation or aspect of the Wholeness, but the man Shakyamuni in India was also an emanation of the Wholeness. Since Buddha just means "Awakened One," what was awakened too was this Wholeness and all emanations of this Wholeness are One ... all Buddha. In fact, this includes you and me too who are also Buddha, right now, but just may not realize so in our divided thinking. In fact, such is every grain of sand, planet and rusty tin can on the street.

And this fact, we believe, is precisely what the Buddha in India discovered, then kept his mouth closed about because the usual questions and descriptions do not apply. Like your questions above.

Gassho, J

STLah

Well, I would say that the Vimalakirti Sutra also does not comment on the big questions ... such as whether the universe is finite or infinite, cause or uncaused, one thing or many, created or uncreated, eternal in time or not eternal, etc. etc. ... but rather leaps through all such questions to something more, transcendent. In fact, it answers all such questions by leaping past the questions and all such opposites. I would say that it is the same leap that the historical Buddha made in leaping through Samsara, and all its broken pieces and measures. The leap is not an ignoring or ducking of the questions, but their ultimate resolution by declaring the questions are wrong, narrow, artificial dichotomies of the human brain ... and there is this more.

Someone like Dogen and the Huayan Buddhists of the Mahayana then emphasized that this leaping past, and ultimate resolutions, is ALSO precisely this world of finite things and measures, such that each grain of sand and moment fully embodies this which leaps through all individual pieces and measures.

YES! All of the above. Technically, in the story, the Buddha is a particular emanation or aspect of the Wholeness, but the man Shakyamuni in India was also an emanation of the Wholeness. Since Buddha just means "Awakened One," what was awakened too was this Wholeness and all emanations of this Wholeness are One ... all Buddha. In fact, this includes you and me too who are also Buddha, right now, but just may not realize so in our divided thinking. In fact, such is every grain of sand, planet and rusty tin can on the street.

And this fact, we believe, is precisely what the Buddha in India discovered, then kept his mouth closed about because the usual questions and descriptions do not apply. Like your questions above.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Thanks again Jundo!
    Gassho, Kiri
    Sat/Lah
    希 rare
    理 principle
    (Nikolas)

Thank you everyone!
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Not that simple. I am occupied with death and life. I AM SO AFRAID OF DEATH. What is there in sensation of pain, sickness, surgery like and death? What part of me was cut out of my brain? Was I made more handicapped? I am so handicapped already. I am 70 and this is twice the age I was when I turned away from alcoholic drinks and illegal drugs. That is why I am so handicapped? Or how do I not understand?
    Gassho
    sat/lah

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Shi View Post
    Not that simple. I am occupied with death and life. I AM SO AFRAID OF DEATH. What is there in sensation of pain, sickness, surgery like and death? What part of me was cut out of my brain? Was I made more handicapped? I am so handicapped already. I am 70 and this is twice the age I was when I turned away from alcoholic drinks and illegal drugs. That is why I am so handicapped? Or how do I not understand?
    Gassho
    sat/lah
    A Koan. Who is measuring, who is feeling the fear, who is asking the questions?

Gassho, J

STLah