Thread: Ecodharma: Chapter 5 (part 3)

Ecodharma: Chapter 5 (part 3)

Chapter 5: What If Its Too Late? Pages 134 to 143 (Subtitle The End of Life As We Know It to No Death and No End to Death)

The teaching “I don’t know” begins this section (Judo recently posted a thread on this) and reminded me of my life in the ecological sciences. I know less today than when I began my journey. However, science allows us to make predictions about what may be so we can choose one course over another. From my view, striving to understand, adapt and change is wisdom. We as a species have been successful because of our ability to learn and adapt. We must continue to adapt.

David provides a very poignant statement when he says “Preparing for ones own individual death has always been an important part of the Buddhist path but anticipating the death of our species is something more than a collective version of the same thing.”

I have difficulty comprehending why environmental issues, that are critical to our well being and survival (and that of so many more species), are often ignored (albeit that is changing to some degree). They often seem to be an afterthought on cable news or when politicians speak. It seldom is an issue of discussion at local community gatherings. I know I avoid discussions about environmental issues or the extinction of species, not wanting to be the harbinger of bad news unless I am asked…. seldom am I asked. David shared Thich Nhat Hanh's comment “We are like sleepwalkers, not knowing what we are doing or where we are headed….” So, is it ignorance or avoidance that plagues our species? In my view both are central to where we are.

David also shares a statement from George Marshal “we do not accept climate change because we wish to avoid the anxiety it generates and the deep changes it requires.” I get that. It is hard to think about and for many it is not a priority when your focus is where your next meal and shelter will come from.

David points out that both Thich Nhat Hanh and Joanna Macy agree about the seriousness of the ecological crisis but that it can encourage us to “wake up” and inform our response. He states, “opening up to the repressed grief and despair that so often paralyzes us, whereupon they can transform into compassionate action.” This is something I hope for. Let us all awaken.

At the end of this Chapter Wendell Berry is quoted “We don’t have the right to ask whether we will succeed. We must just do the right thing.” That which is right for all those who come after us.

Are environmental issues topics in your life with friends and family?

Are we (as a species) awakening to what challenges are here and the many more to come?

Doshin
    st
    Last edited by Doshin; 05-23-2022 at 07:12 PM.

Friends, yes. Family, not so much. My 16 year old daughter has mental health issues so bringing up issues that cause her anxiety is something we avoid. Currently the Ukraine war and environmental stuff are no go zones.

Are we (as a species) awakening to what challenges are here and the many more to come?
    I think the degree of awakening varies between people and countries depending on their situation and willingness to address issues. I think that several of the peope that Loy mentions talk about why this is the case. Charles Eisenstein hits the mark in my opinion: "For most people, compared to their mortgage payment or their teenager's addiction problems, climate change seems quite remote and theoretical..." Human beings seem wired to address threats which are in front on them rather than existential, and people also have an understandable aversion to adding more to an already high plate of concerns. This, I imagine, is why environmental activism seems largely to come from the middle classes, whereas working class people (for want of a better word) are addressing issues of survival on a much shorter-term basis.

The problem is that the speed of movement of human thinking, at least in terms of the majority of humans, is not keeping up with the speed of change. We have known that global warming was a threat for many decades and yet now are only starting to move slowly, and in ways that do not greatly incovenience us. Most people are happy to recycle - it doesn't take long to throw the waste into different boxes - but are less willing to drive less or take fewer foreign vacations.

By the time the issues really hit, and people call for urgent action, I imagine that most of the preparation we could have done will have been left unfinished, or even unstarted.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Instead of another thread I going to wrap up Chapter 5 here; pages 143 to 147 (No Death and No End to Death to end of chapter)

These pages are a continuation of the discussion are we too late to do anything. To that add the Buddhist view captured in No Death and No End to Death, does it matter if/what we do? I have always been challenged in grasping this underlying teaching in Buddhism because I try to understand it intellectually, and I can not.

What I will end with is the main point I focused on in these few pages where David says "In the end, too late or not doesn't make any difference to what we are called to do right now."

I look forward to Chapter 6 where Kokuu can lead our discussion on what shall we do? I like that perspective, I understand it. That is what gives me hope and helps me avoid despair.

Doshin
    st
    Last edited by Doshin; 05-28-2022 at 11:53 PM.

Yes to a degree. My wife and I spend an increasing amount of time talking about these issues and considering our actions. With some friends it is a topic of conversation. I don’t see any specific changes in behaviours but at least there is some awareness. Of course I also have friends that don’t seem aware at all.

Yes I think so but it is slow awakening. I am not sure we’ll collectively get there. There are encouraging signs like the recent Australian election that replaced a climate denying government with what had been described as a green/teal government. Unfortunately here in Canada we seem to be taking steps in the wrong direction

I do see an increase in climate and environmental related articles in the mainstream media so hopefully the message will get through.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

To my family, yes. I'm not sure how much the majority of my friends think about them though. Other than at work the majority of my friends don't seem that concerned, at least it's not a topic of conversation that comes up very often.

I think we are but are we doing so quickly enough? I'm not so sure. I do remain confident that the next big technological transformation will be in terms of 'green' fuel. But even if that is the case it doesn't address the myriad other issues such as consumption/waste, food etc. While people may be more inclined to buy electric cars, I don't see the appetite for longhaul holidays or eating avocados reducing - as Kokuu said, we don't seem to be wired to deal with large existential threats something the recent pandemic seemed to reinforce.

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah

Oh, no. It’s taboo. Some family and friends admit to a vague unease about it and very quickly change the subject. I think it’s too overwhelming and they feel powerless, or maybe they just think it’s a problem for the future. It leaves me feeling isolated and frustrated (I guess I’ll get used to it as they all plan to retire in Florida, and I’m thinking north instead-Vermont).

Some, but not enough. I am trying to fully embrace the idea that we won’t change the way we live until conditions get bad enough to force it.

Gassho,
    Naiko
    st