Thread: May 13-14th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - Mokugyo Nengyoku

May 13-14th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - Mokugyo Nengyoku

Mokugyo Nengyoku (try saying that 3x fast! )

Nengyoku takes a turn on the Mokugyo today as our Ino.

Please welcome him!

Dear All,

Please sit our Treeleaf Zazenkai for 90 minutes with Zazen, Heart Sutra and more:

10am Japan Saturday morning, NY 9pm, LA 6pm Friday night, London 2am and Paris 3am Saturday morning, or any time thereafter here:

However, "one way" live sitters are encouraged to come into the Zoom sitting, and just leave the camera and microphone turned off: Join live (with or without a camera & microphone) on Zoom at: TREELEAF Now OR at DIRECT ZOOM LINK, password (if needed): dogen

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 VERSE OF ATONEMENT & FOUR VOWS
    01:30 - 01:45(?) Informal Tea Time (All Welcome)

ATTENTION: Everyone, when rising for Kinhin or Ceremonies after Zazen, get up slowly, don't rush, hold something stable, you won't be "late," so TAKE YOUR TIME! Make sure you are careful getting up!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLah

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

Chant Book is here for those who wish to join in: CHANT BOOK LINK

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093

I also recommend a little Talk on why small rituals and procedures are so cherished in the Zendo:

SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: Small Things in the Zendo

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...s-in-the-Zendo
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-20-2022 at 10:23 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

See you tomorrow Jundo and everyone

Gassho,

Ippo

SatLah
    一 法
    (One)(Dharma)

Everyday is a good day!

Looking forward to sitting with all of you.

Gassho,
    Nengyoku
    Sat
    Thank you for being the warmth in my world.

I can't be there live today (dealing with a family medical issue), but look forward to listening later.
    As my wife always (rather curously) says whenever I go off to sit, "Have fun!"

Gassho,
    Viveka
    st/lah
    Viveka (विवेक)

(dealing with a family medical issue)
    We will dedicate our Zazenkai today to this and all who have medical issues in family today.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Gassho,
    Viveka
    st/lah
    Viveka (विवेक)

Thank you all for listening to me tonight.

Oh, and for sitting, of course. I guess that's cool too.

Quote Originally Posted by Viveka View Post
    I can't be there live today (dealing with a family medical issue), but look forward to listening later.
    As my wife always (rather curously) says whenever I go off to sit, "Have fun!"

Gassho,
    Viveka
    st/lah
    Hope all is well, friend.

Gassho,
    Nengyoku
    Sat

Well done Nengyoku. You were awesome!

Gassho,
    Sat,
    Suuko
    Has been known as Guish since 2017 on the forum here.

Also big thanks to everyone who helped me during soundcheck

I started sitting this zazenkai on demand this morning. Well done, Nengyoku, great ino-ing.

Gassho,

Heiso
    StLah

Sent from my RMX2001 using Tapatalk

Thank you, Nengyoku, for your Ino'ing.

Thank you, Jundo, for sharing your view of food and Sri Lankan Buddhism (which I found particularly interesting).

On food: if I may share one experience/understanding/observation. If I have a conflicted mind while eating, especially on what/where I am eating, I noticed that I had digestion issues and restlessness soon afterward. Since this observation, I have generally kept an eye on it and I don't eat something which I am conflicted about. And it seems to help. Yes, I have to be neutral to conflict in myself too, but that's the next step

Gassho.
    Sorry to run long.

Sat.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-7305F using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone! And great job Nengyoku! I had to run off right after as usual as it was 0430am and I have to be functional in the morning so every minute of extra sleep helps.

I will make it for tea one of these days (maybe when the kids are teenage and sleeping until pm!)

Gassho and thanks again — see you next week!

Neil (sat)

Hey all - it was good to see you all again, it has been a while. In a nutshell I have been caught up in a tornado (practically and existentially!) for close to two years, largely thanks to finally admitting to myself that I have moderate OCD that has some hairy moments. So I couldn't come out of my tornado bunker until the storm had passed. Great to be back and being in community with you all again.

Gassho - Tokan (satlah)

A little bit of the incredible Sri Lanka Vihara temple built from a Japanese farmhouse here in Tsukuba, including the 2 story tall Buddha, seen about 1 minute in to the video ...

Some of the monks there:

tsuku.jpg

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-14-2022 at 07:21 AM.

Thank you everyone. I sat with you this morning.

Well done on your debut Nengyoku!

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Quote Originally Posted by leon View Post
    Hey all - it was good to see you all again, it has been a while. In a nutshell I have been caught up in a tornado (practically and existentially!) for close to two years, largely thanks to finally admitting to myself that I have moderate OCD that has some hairy moments. So I couldn't come out of my tornado bunker until the storm had passed. Great to be back and being in community with you all again.

Gassho - Tokan (satlah)
    Great to see you back, Tokan!

Gassho,

Heiso
    StLah

Sent from my RMX2001 using Tapatalk

Naiko
    st lah

Thank you all for the great Zazenkai last night.
    Great job, Nengyoku!
    Excellent talk, Jundo.

In gassho,
    Bokuga
    SatToday LaH
    墨眼 | Bokugan | Sumi Ink Eye
    Ryan-S | zazenlibrarian.com

Thank you everyone! I sat this evening. I’m understanding that caregiving is in my bowl, it is good, and it is my practice.

Gassho,
    Judy
    Sat/lah

I just want to share this. I revisited the Sri Lankan temple today for Vesak, the Buddha's Birthday. I just went to offer greetings. But they have a wonderful custom of dressing the great Buddha Statue in formal Kesa for such times ...

As the Buddha usually sits ...

... and today ...

It is not simple task to dress the Buddha either, involving some shaky ladders and daring young men. But this is the importance of the Kesa.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-15-2022 at 02:23 PM.

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Beautiful Jundo thank you for sharing.
    Thank you all for your practice and especially Nengyoku, wonderful ceremony.

Sat for peace.

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Thank you for the talk Jundo and well done and thank you Nengyoku

Gassho, Tomás
    Sat&LaH

Lovely! Great job, Nengyoku!

Gassho
    Kokuu