Thread: Ecodharma: Chapter 5 (part 1)

Ecodharma: Chapter 5 (part 1)

This is for the beginning of Chapter 5 to the subtitle Waiting for the Apocalypse (pages 125 to 131)

The title to this Chapter (What If It’s Too Late?) captures the contents well. A serious question that there is still ongoing discussion as to the answer.
    Much of the challenges we face had their genesis in the last Century or so. They coincide with the Industrial Revolution and the rapid population growth of our species. Like David states, during my lifetime the human population has grown from around 2.5 billion to 7.9 billion. The population is estimated to have been around 980 million in 1800. For the first 300,000 years of humans presence the population grew slowly. In this Chapter several examples were presented about population growth and resource limitations. Easter Island was discused for our species and how resources limited that expansion and another example for Reindeer on St. Matthew Island in the Bering Sea.

Once again in this Chapter we are reminded that climate change has occurred in the past and that rapid climate change led to the extinction of many species. The climate change we are looking at today was predicted over a hundred years ago as scientists hypothesized about the impacts of increased carbon dioxide resulting from Industrial Revolution. Often when I discuss climate change with others, they point out that the climate has always changed. My response is yes but there was not an Earth full of so many people which creates a very different future.

I want to share a story from my life in conservation that I was reminded of when reading this section. When I began my education in the ecological sciences in the late 1960s there was much concern about our environment and the future of our species and the rest of biodiversity. Some of my classmates felt despair, hopelessness, and chose to live a life that assumed the worst. A few decided to pursue different careers separate from conservation. Years later I was questioned by a few as to why I continued my work…it wouldn’t matter they suggested. My only response was if we don’t try, we will surely fail. So even today I want to believe it is not too late. We can make a difference.

Your thoughts?

Doshin

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

My thoughts?

I am more or less at the point where I believe it is too late although I am not sure exactly what that means. Does it mean the utter extinction of life on this planet? Does it means a significantly large drop in human population (such as Lovelock’s prediction of 500 Million)? I am certain that it means significant suffering for people, other animals, and vegetation.

Nevertheless I don’t want to give up. Selfishly I have a son who is 18 and just starting to make his own life. I very much hope that his future isn’t one of suffering.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

As Ecosattvas, I think we have to keep trying, don't we? To save all sentient being though beings are numberless.

It's a stark picture though and like Tairin, I worry what the future of my young children will look like, I hold onto hope that things will change but time is running out very quickly.

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah

This section was a tough read, very bleak indeed. I think we still have a chance but the bold action required seems so out of reach. The Guardian article Kokuu posted earlier this week indicates a commitment by fuel companies to greatly increase oil and gas production. It’s madness, but I feel we must continue to work to save our home.
    Gassho,
    Naiko
    st lah

https://theconversation.com/climate-...warming-178581

Reading this was a bit of a revelation to me. “Even if we miss the 1.5 Celsius target we must still fight to prevent every single increment of warming”

Failure is giving up. Wr can’t give up.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

https://theconversation.com/climate-...warming-178581

Reading this was a bit of a revelation to me. “Even if we miss the 1.5 Celsius target we must still fight to prevent every single increment of warming”
    Thank you for that, Tairin. It is a good reminder that it is not 1.5 degrees or nothing. Staying below a 1.5 degree rise looks incredibly unlikely now with the current plans for energy production, but that doesn't mean we should not be trying to limit the warming as much as we can. And aside from the warming there are other issues to tackle. It is hard, though, as people are understandably focussed on the cost of their heating bills right now, as a result of the war in Ukraine, and rising food costs.

I started thinking about these issues as a teenager back in the 80s, and some of you have probably been doing so longer than that. The big issues then in the UK were acid rain and the ozone layer. I have seen global warming rise on the agenda, and green issues become more and more important to people, and the backlash by vested interests grow stronger in response.

Meanwhile the population has grown and so, at least in the developed world, have our expectations for digital communication, internet access, low cost air travel and all kinds of products to make our life feel better.

It increasingly feels like a monumental task to turn around the way we live to something that is actually sustainable, and for people to see how much damage has already been done, and present them with a positive view of the picture.

On Friday there was a weekly topical comedy show on the BBC in which one comedian pointed out that while the left-wing of politics in the UK makes good arguments it often focusses on inequality, racism, poverty, which are all important issues, but doesn't present a vision of something better. The environmental movement can be like that also, talking about food shortages, environmental degradation, desertification and parts of the world becoming uninhabitable. We should be making the case for localised economies which put people first and everyone gets their needs met, with better food coming from healthier livestock and agriculture, stronger communities and more localised power in the hands of people rather than corporations.

However hard this is, we need to keep pushing, as at some point the case for change will become undeniable, and it is at that point that we need to have the ideas and plans ready to put into effect, and to give people an alternative to continuous planetary destruction.

I could write about this all day, but the bottom line is that we need to continue this work and do what we can. What is the alternative?

To save all sentient beings, though beings numberless

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

I could write about this all day, but the bottom line is that we need to continue this work and do what we can. What is the alternative?
    This quote is credited to Martin Luther the German churchreformer, 15th century:

"If I knew the world would end tomorrow, I'd plant an apple tree today."

sentient beings, numberless, i vow to safe them all.. maybe by planting a tree

aprapti

sat/lah
    Last edited by aprapti; 05-16-2022 at 09:56 PM.

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment