Thread: Is it ok to be late to a sit?

Is it ok to be late to a sit?

Greetings - I have seen people arrive late to a sit, is that considered ok at Treeleaf. Of course it is not advisable, But the treeleaf attitude might be "we want to support people sitting even if something comes up for them and they happen to arrive late" - much gratitude (to be honest, more gratitude than I can express) for Treeleaf. Gassho, rowan

The on-demand sessions are usually helpful when I know I will not be able to join on time or if the session happens during midnight. I then pick some quality-time and sit with YouTube.

Gassho.
    Sat.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-7305F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Greetings - I have seen people arrive late to a sit, is that considered ok at Treeleaf. Of course it is not advisable, But the treeleaf attitude might be "we want to support people sitting even if something comes up for them and they happen to arrive late" - much gratitude (to be honest, more gratitude than I can express) for Treeleaf. Gassho, rowan
    Hi Rowan,

Because we are online, and there is no particular noise when someone enters or exits (and microphones are muted), there is no problem for someone to enter or exit as they need. Of course, it is best to sit with the group when the group sits. However, if unavoidable life events or health restrictions require one to come late or early, it is okay. No problem.

In a brick and mortar place, it is usually expected that one will not enter late or leave early (except for emergency) because the room is to be quiet and still. However, ask for the local rule in that place. In Japanese temples, there is often a "gaitan," a separate space outside the main sitting room "naitan," for people who are just visiting that day, or who need to enter/exit late.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Talking Thank you Jundo Sensei

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Hi Rowan,

Because we are online, and there is no particular noise when someone enters or exits (and microphones are muted), there is no problem for someone to enter or exit as they need.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    Jundo Sensei thank you so much for your answer. When sitting in person one always waits for when kinhin or a break before joining in for the next zazen period (unless returning from dokusan) but it is great to know it is ok to join treeleaf if I am late (computer problem, etc). I keep beng confused when everyone isn't online 5 minutes before the start, but of course it is fine that this is how things are done at Treeeleaf. Gassho, Rowan