Thread: Helping Monk Kakunen's Ango ...

Helping Monk Kakunen's Ango ...

Dear All,

Ango is a traditional 90 days monastic retreat, held in Japanese Zen monasteries for monks in training ...

... but it does not come cheap. Our Japanese monk friend and long time Treeleafer, Kakunen, is going to formal Ango at Nagasaki's Kotaiji and, as you see itemized below, it is expensive to be a "monk who possesses just robe and bowl." He could use a few shekels (or dollars, yen, euros) in his monk's bowl to help with the cost.

If you think you can help, he needs to make payments this week, and did not have time to set up a "go fund me" or like page. The easiest way is via paypal, where you can find him with his email: monk.kakunen@gmail.com

First, a little about Kotaiji temple:
    https://www.sotozen.com/eng/temples/jp/kotaiji.html

A little about "Ango":

Ango, 安居 ... literally “peaceful dwelling and abiding” ... is a period of concentrated and committed Zen practice, usually lasting three months in the Soto Zen tradition, often in the summer but in other seasons as well. The roots of Ango arise from the earliest days of the Buddhist monastic community in India, when monks and nuns would cease their wandering and settle together in one place for the rainy season. Even today in Zen monasteries of Japan, Ango is a time of intense and rigorous training, typically including long hours of Zazen, short hours for sleep, formal meals taken in the Zendo (meditation hall), and a structured schedule for the rest of the day comprising periods for work, liturgy, study, rest, and personal needs.
    And just some of the expenses that are required for this time of "retreat." (Kakunen writes the following. 10,000 Yen is about $75.00 US right now):

Oryoki repair 10,000 Yen [JUNDO - His bowls were chipped and need repair]

Samue [work clothing] repair 10,000 Yen

Nehan-kin 10,000 Yen [Nirvana Money: Traditional amount to be carried to "cover one's own funeral" in case the monk dies or gets ill during Ango. Read more here: https://books.google.co.jp/books?id=...rinaga&f=false ]

Kenko-ryo [health fee] 10,000 Yen

Money for train to go there, and 1-day Stay in Fukuoka or west Japan. 30,000 Yen

Naga samue [那伽作務衣 "Naga samue," clothing: Here is an example, although he has to purchase from an "official" Buddhist supplier in Japan: https://zenstitchery.com/product/nagasamue/ 30,000 Yen

Kairyo-e 30,000 Yen [A kind of short Koromo with short sleeves, and with less pleats compared to Formal Koromo: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/07/ec...c5e56c7b02.jpg )

Health check 10,000 Yen

Misc. equipment 10,000 Yen(containers, etc.)

Kuroneko-yamato shipping company 15,000 Yen(to ship bedding etc. to/from monastery)

Total: About 165,000 Yen more or less.

I am now preparing.

合掌 [Gassho]
    Sat LAH
    kakunen
    If, somehow, he receives more than the amount he needs, he promises to use the balance only for other costs related to his monk training.

It is traditional to put something in a monks bowl to support their practice, and thus much good Karmic merit is earned. In any case, it is just a good thing for use Zen folks to do. Please do so, if you have the means.

Gassho, Jundo
    STLah

Last edited by Jundo; 05-02-2022 at 05:25 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you for shareing Jundo.

I have no word.But always thank helping by you and Sangha.

I am Sesshin,right now.But I will start Ango at May 9th.And lots of accident at April.
    So I can not do (real) Takuhatsu.

I do not know why I(our Japanese Soto shu Ango) need lots of money.
    But I need to accept this situations,and I am little bit shame by myself.

Anyway,if you will donate me,so helpful,and I keep on practiceing more and more.

Gassho
    Sat Sesshin
    LAH
    Kakunen

Hi

I take video and thank you for helping me.

Hello from Japan!But little bit serious.

I need your support.

Gassho
    Sat Sesshin
    Lah
    Kakunen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kakunen posted these photos on Facebook, so I think it is okay if I repost here. He usually tries to fix his own clothing, but this time, too worn out from so much sitting and labor at monasteries, so he had to ask a seamstress to fix to meet the monastery requirements:

They require certain other special, traditional robes at the monastery that he does not have, so he must purchase those new.

His Kesa robe is so worn from daily use for years, but he is able to fix that himself:

He damaged his bowl by packing incorrectly, for which he is very sorry. It is the important "Buddha Bowl," used by monks for both eating and mendicancy. It is just lacquer and wood, so needs to be fixed by a craftman:

From Daily Oryoki eating too:

Lovely.

I am reminded of a teaching by Master Dogen from the Zuimonki:

Ejo once inquired,
    “If a Zen practitioner mends and patches an old, tattered robe rather than throwing it away, that seems like clinging to a thing [the old, cherished robe]. However, to simply toss out old clothes and acquire new robes seems to be chasing after something new. Both are wrong. So, what should we do?”

Dōgen responded,
    “If one is free from both clutching what one has, and coveting what one does not have, then either way is right. Nonetheless, it seems better to repair old clothes, and to maintain them for as long as possible rather than needing new clothes.” (SZ 2-18)
    Gassho, J

STLah

Hi

Thank you for always support to me.

I was asked from some members,if you can say friends and another monks.
    Please teach this situations.

I will promise,I will help being as monk.

Jundo,if this is not good scribe,please delete.

Gassho
    Sat today
    LAH
    kakunen

A follow-up and clarification regarding Kakunen's need of Ango funds:

I think some folks missed the situation here. It is my fault for not explaining clearly. Kakunen is NOT being charged anything for the Ango itself, nothing for room or food. That is free of charge from the temple, as is traditional. No charge to the Ango monk participants for the 3 months that they will reside at the temple. (Of course, somebody pays, such as the temple donors, but not Kakunen or the other monks participating in Ango.

Kakunen needs money for things like repair of robes and bowls, as well as some traditional and modern charges related to health insurance and travel to the temple.

Sorry for the confusion.

Sadly, even in the Buddha's time, there was something to pay for support of food and lodging for the Sangha. Someone has to pay something, and that is what donors are for, like the folks here in the Zen Sangha. Thank you to all the practitioners here who have been so generous in putting a little something in Kakunen's bowl.

Gassho, J

STLah

Helping Monk Kakunen's Ango ...

Hi

Thank you Jundo.

Honesty.

Normally I need to,want to help my mother in hospital.Also need to want to help my son.But impossible right now.
    I just pray and chant to my mother,I just phone call to my son.

I have role to help every being as monk.
    This is message from my ancestors.

I must to go Ango,this is Karma.

I was helped lots of donations,temple,monks,friends,and all being.

Maybe difficult to survive without them.

And I need money for Ango.I feel fear.I feel shameful mind to me.

Buddhism help us,but now I suffer big pressure.Less money ,separating family.

Please help me,if you can.

Small money encourage me.Your wise word help me.

I will write again maybe.Now 1AM at Japan,I can’t sleep because of terrible feeling.

Sorry for my bad English.

PS
    Always help me,this song at my boyhood.Now also help me.This song No.1 hit at UK,1986.In Japanese lots of people can’t talk English,and just seeked their ego at that time.

Gassho
    Sat today
    Lah
    Kakunen

Last edited by Kakunen; 05-05-2022 at 08:33 PM.

Fear is not shameful. We all fear.

May you have inner strength and peace even when you are afraid and I promise I will have the same when I am afraid.

Gassho,

Tom

Sat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    “Do what’s hard to do when it is the right thing to do.”- Robert Sopalsky

Thank you for your dana and wisdom.

Gassho
    Sat Lah
    Kakunen

Quote Originally Posted by Kakunen View Post
    Thank you for your dana and wisdom.

Gassho
    Sat Lah
    Kakunen

I meant every word and you deserve all the dana you have received for ango. You are a good person doing your best and there is no shame in that.

I really like aha too, especially this version of Take on Me:

Gassho,

Tom

Sat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    “Do what’s hard to do when it is the right thing to do.”- Robert Sopalsky

Ohh!

Love this one!

Live8

Gassho
    Sat Lah
    Kakunen

Hi

Thank you for helping I will go there today.

Thank you,and good luck!

Gassho
    LAH
    kakunen