Thread: Ecodharma: Chapter 4 (part three)

Ecodharma: Chapter 4 (part three)

“The Buddha attained individual awakening. Now we need a collective enlightenment to stop the destruction.”
    -- Thich Nhat Hanh

"Humanity will get the fate it deserves."
    -- Albert Einstein

This is the section from p115-121 (beginning with ‘A Collective Enlightenment’ to the end of the chapter).

In this part of the book, David Loy talks about ideas of collective enlightenment and what it might look like. It seems pretty much a given that our conceptual ideas of separation, whether from each other, or from nature and the rest of the planet, mean that most people feel able to continue live as normal, consuming as they wish, and not thinking about what happens to what we throw away, the cycles of life being part of nature that we are largely exempt from.

Loy describes how Paul Hawken thinks of the awakening of humans to social and environmental issues as an immune response which targets behaviour which is inimical to life, and with a similar potential to protect us. He does, however, go on to say that he sees Buddhism and compassion as becoming increasingly needed as he cannot see a future during which things do not become worse, at least for a time.

Questions for this week

How do you think of the idea of ‘collective awakening? Is it realistic?

Do you resonate with Paul Hawken’s idea of compassion and ecological thinking as an immune system?

If, as it seems entirely likely, the ecological health of the planet (and with it the health of human societies) continues to worsen, what is the role of Buddhism and Buddhists?

Gassho
    Kokuu

Today I heard Paul Hawkens talk briefly on a Webinar about the study of all the organizations that exist working to improve conditions for the planet, humanity and biodiversity. That was something I wasn’t aware of. Yes I knew there were many such groups (I have been part of some) but I had not understood the magnitude. The comparison of collective enlightenment and an immune response was also an interesting perspective. I hope that is the direction we are headed. However there is so much more to do and as I said before we (all peoples of this planet) come from different perspectives as to what is critical at this moment.

As to what a Buddhist should do ? The same as everyone else needs to do. Do our best to address the problems. Modify our lifestyles, support the immune response that is arising in what ways we can given our individual situation and gifts. Share with others.

Doshin
    St

I think it is slowly happening. My personal experience is that people are awakening to the eco crisis we face. If I reflect back on even this past week there have been a number of conversations about the environment, the climate, plastics, recycling, heat pumps, ditching natural gas, electric vehicles, mass transport, telecommuting, and so on. Some but not all of these conversations initiated by me. It is definitely an increasingly common discussion area. Unfortunately it is quickly followed by people’s acknowledgement that their individual contribution is very limited in scope. Nevertheless I am heartened to see some focus.

Do you resonate with Paul Hawken’s idea of compassion and ecological thinking as an immune system?

I think so. I am hopeful that because it seems to be happening organically it is like a hydra. No one head so in a sense even if one thread runs into a barrier the other threads keep going. This groundswell is hopeful. On the other hand it may take a long time for an organic approach to realize results. I do think there needs to be a coordinated push from a body such as governments to focus towards some of the larger more costly mitigations.

If, as it seems entirely likely, the ecological health of the planet (and with it the health of human societies) continues to worsen, what is the role of Buddhism and Buddhists?

As I’ve answered before Buddhism has a role but it is only one of many. For me, my practice helps me see through some of the barriers I put in my own mind. Try to see beyond my perceptions, my wants, my goals and take a realistic view of our situation. I don’t believe that this is necessarily the right thing for everyone. What ever path gets them up the mountain is fine with me.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

I think as time has gone on it is becoming more accepted generally that something needs to be done and people are taking steps in the right direction, even some of the more conservative types I know are buying electric cars although this is a very gradual enlightenment. I also have a lot of hope for the younger generations who are growing up knowing this issue is something that needs to be dealt with and seem much more able to accept and act on that.

I do because at it's most cynical, it is a matter of self and habitat preservation. The question is more if this groundswell can get the immune system operating quick enough before it is too late

Possibly as just one of the many groups that Hawkens talks about, that could take action. But we are not alone, Pope Francis' environmental encyclical, Laudato Si is very influential and widely disseminated to the planet's 1.2bn Roman Catholics. And on that point, I'm not sure I agreed with Loy's statement that 'archaic' worldviews are no longer a serious option for providing a meaning to life!

I'm currently reading a book by a naturalist called DW Gillingham who lived on the next road to me and wrote about the walks he took in the local area during the period just up to and after WW2. The following line seemed very fitting with our subject so I thought I would share:

'...[man] violates the very laws of Nature that assure his own survival, unaware that the almost every living thing has a place in the whole ecology and economy of Nature as much perhaps as the very corpuscles in his own bloodstream' he also writes that man's divorce from nature is an impossible hypothesis.

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah

This section was surprising. I didn’t expect him to pivot to the idea that collective awakening was already happening. I was a bit disappointed. I caught myself wanting a sort of satori, a big fix, and I had to laugh. What is awakened activity if not people simply doing what they see needs to be done for others or the earth? Two million groups working for good is indeed impressive. I would argue that these efforts have been more successful working for social justice than they have for the environment. Is it because people can relate to people they see and their stories, but not so much to earth changes they can’t easily perceive? Or have the social movements just had a head start? Or that climate crisis requires a massive, coordinated response.

Buddhists don’t seem to be big proselytizers, so I guess we have our voices and hands to offer. A monk asked Master Yunmen: “What are the teachings of a whole lifetime?” Yunmen said:“An appropriate response.”

Naiko sat