Thread: April 15-16th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - When Priests Suffer Too

April 15-16th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - When Priests Suffer Too

Dear All,

Please sit our Treeleaf Zazenkai for 90 minutes with Zazen, Heart Sutra and more:

10am Japan Saturday morning, NY 9pm, LA 6pm Friday night, London 2am and Paris 3am Saturday morning, or any time thereafter here:

However, "one way" live sitters are encouraged to come into the Zoom sitting, and just leave the camera and microphone turned off: Join live (with or without a camera & microphone) on Zoom at: TREELEAF Now OR at DIRECT ZOOM LINK, password (if needed): dogen

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 VERSE OF ATONEMENT & FOUR VOWS
    01:30 - 01:45(?) Informal Tea Time (All Welcome)

ATTENTION: Everyone, when rising for Kinhin or Ceremonies after Zazen, get up slowly, don't rush, hold something stable, you won't be "late," so TAKE YOUR TIME! Make sure you are careful getting up!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLah

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

Chant Book is here for those who wish to join in: CHANT BOOK LINK

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093

I also recommend a little Talk on why small rituals and procedures are so cherished in the Zendo:
    [CENTER]
    SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: Small Things in the Zendo

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...s-in-the-Zendo
    Last edited by Sekishi; 04-15-2022 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Added one-way youtube link.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

See you all later!

Sat Today
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

I'll be there

Great weekend all,

Gassho,

Ippo
    一 法
    (One)(Dharma)

Everyday is a good day!

Life itself is the only teacher.
    一 Joko Beck

STLah
    安知 Anchi

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Youtube and Zoom are ready to go! See you all soon.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Won't make it tonight folks Will sit with you all tomorrow sometime.

Have a good one

Gassho
    ./sat --lah
    Neil

Thanks to all for your practice. I’m feeling very human today, irritable and suffering with a severe back spasm. Much gratitude for Jundo’s talk.

Naiko
    st

A lovely Zazenkai.

Gassho,
    然芸 Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.

Many thanks to Jundo, Sekishi, and to everyone who attended. It's wonderful to be in such good company along the way.

Gassho,

Chukyo

ST

Here is Shinshi and Mesa, who I mentioned in my talk, Shinshi's right hand. We will dedicate a bit of our sitting today to Mesa and all our four legged friends.

Gassho, J

STLah

Thanks guys! It was lovely as always! Love you all!
    Jundo, the talk was fantastic!

Sat Today
    Bion
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Thank you, everyone. It was lovely.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

So glad to have Zazenkai to look forward to every Saturday morning with you guys. It's quite easy to say but Treeleaf is helping me a lot, even though I'm still far from perfect. Thanks everyone.

Gassho
    Ross
    stlah

April 15-16th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - When Priests Suffer Too

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    So glad to have Zazenkai to look forward to every Saturday morning with you guys. It's quite easy to say but Treeleaf is helping me a lot, even though I'm still far from perfect. Thanks everyone.

Gassho
    Ross
    stlah
    Thanks for sharing bud and for your continuous presence!

Sat Today
    Last edited by Bion; 04-16-2022 at 09:18 AM.
    Bion

Thanks so much for your talk Jundo! It was really needed this week
    Thank you everyone for your practice!
    Gassho, Kiri
    sat/lah
    希 rare
    理 principle
    (Nikolas)

Another lovely Zazenkai

You all are such an important part of my practice -- thank you for yours

Gassho,

Bokugan
    SatToday
    墨眼 | Bokugan | Sumi Ink Eye
    Ryan-S | zazenlibrarian.com

I mentioned in my talk the Buddha's reaction when his own people, the Shakya clan, was slaughtered by a neighboring king ...

(5) Buddha’s headache:

Many translations, including some which only contain fragments of the story, state that while the killing was going on the Buddha suffered a severe headache. As for the cause of the headache the opinions are divided. The majority says it was the Buddha’s past karma. Some later texts, however, emphasize that it was the Buddha’s expedient display in order to show to the masses of ordinary people the working of karma.
    https://www.academia.edu/30061724/Ch...of_the_Shakyan
    It is sometimes said that the headache lasted three days!

http://tibetanbuddhistencyclopedia.c...Sakya_clansmen

Hmmm. I think that he was just having a really bad week.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-17-2022 at 12:55 AM.

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Thank you Jundo for this timely talk and reminder. My wife's health issues over the last 2 and a bit years, covid and an aging dog, have all had an impact restricting me doing things I would like to be doing. I've called it The Curse of the Harley, as it all seemed to start after I bought the Low Rider late 2019. So many periods of anger and frustration but my practice and music puts all into perspective. Its just life getting in the way of life and as you say we are just human (after all) cue song. Sitting each morning with my Eurocrew Sangha buddies is a daily refreshing restart, wipe the slate, start again.

Deep bows

Sat for peace

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Thank you everyone. I sat with you this morning.

This week’s talk was very touching. I know that despite years of practice and the near constant reminders here I still hold on to a bit of an idealized view of what Zen practice means. It is good to be reminded that we are human and not unfailing Zen robots. Thank you Jundo for sharing yours and the stories of our other priests.

Thank you everyone for your practice.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

That was very lovely! Thank you everyone.

The talk was deep and moving. That's what I needed today.
    Your words of wisdom are so valuable and they become even more meaningful when we actually experience those moments.
    Thank you so much Jundo.

We humans, all of us create our own happiness and our own suffering - other people do not do this for us.

We are never “free” from suffering, as suffering is a part of life. But what this practice did teach me is that if there is suffering, I don’t have to suffer.

Wishing you all peace and freedom from suffering.

ln Peace with Nine Bows,
    Anchi
    Life itself is the only teacher.
    一 Joko Beck

STLah
    安知 Anchi

So much was said already,

I think we all confer, our "open-hearted" sharing, revealing the "other side" of the same coin of practice is a really great reminder that ALL of this is our practice. I am consistently reminded and humbled.

Beautiful to hear everyone's stories.

Lovely week,

Gassho,

Ippo

SatLah
    一 法
    (One)(Dharma)

Everyday is a good day!

Thank you everyone!
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Thank you all for sitting and sharing.

It is a great pleasure to be part of this sangha of dedicated practice.

Gassho
    Kokuu

Tears mixed with the rain today. Thank you Jundo. Thanks to all the priests whose suffering bandages our own. And to all, I’m so grateful.

Nine bows.

SatLah.
    東西 - Tōsei - East West
    there is only what is, and it is all miraculous

What a beautiful talk and Zazenkai. Sending metta to all of the priests and priests in training. I am so happy that this place is welcoming of emotions, it is so healing for all. Thank you

Gassho, Tomás
    Sat&LaH