Thread: April 1st-2nd, 2022 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI - Monk Kakunen

April 1st-2nd, 2022 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI - Monk Kakunen

Today's Talk will be by Rev. Kakunen, on the Realities and Wonder of
    Zen Monastic Training

Please sit our Monthly 4-Hour Treeleaf Zazenkai netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 7pm to 11pm, Los Angeles 4pm to 8pm (Friday night), London midnight to 4am and Paris 1am to 5am (early Saturday morning)), and also sitable any time thereafter:

However, "one way" live sitters are encouraged to come into the Zoom sitting, and just leave the camera and microphone turned off: Join live (with or without a camera & microphone) on Zoom at: TREELEAF Now OR at DIRECT ZOOM LINK, password (if needed): dogen

Dharma Talk Audio / Podcast Episode:
    TO BE HERE IN A FEW DAYS

The Sitting Schedule is as follows:

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA IN JAPANESE / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
    01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN & HOKEY-POKEY RITUAL

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
    03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING
    ATTENTION: Everyone, when rising for Kinhin or Ceremonies after Zazen, get up slowly, don't rush, hold something stable, you won't be "late," so TAKE YOUR TIME! Make sure you are careful getting up!

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

Chant Book is here for those who wish to join in: CHANT BOOK LINK

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093

I also recommend a little Talk on why small rituals and procedures are so cherished in the Zendo:

SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: Small Things in the Zendo

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...s-in-the-Zendo

16cbfc197037b31f2b849335084d8a92.jpg
    Last edited by Sekishi; 04-01-2022 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Added one-way / youtube link.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

In another celebration of East meets West, we will dance the 1949 classic ...

Shamisen Boogie Woogie (三味線ブギウギ)

Ichimaru(市丸), a singer as well as a professional geisha. Born in 1906 as Matsue Goto(後藤まつゑ)in Matsumoto City, Nagano Prefecture, she left home in her mid-teens to work at a geisha house and gradually went up through the ranks to become a geisha but also did extra training to improve her singing skills. In 1931, the Victor Recording Company took notice and signed her up so that she could record 3 songs to start her career that year. ... Following World War II, Ichimaru, who already had recorded numerous songs to her credit, took an interest in American culture and especially one of America's greatest exports to the world, jazz. From this admiration was born the hit "Shamisen Boogie-Woogie", this rather eclectic mix of shamisen and swing.

Shamisen is a kind of traditional Japanese Banjo, and Boogie Woogie is Boogie Woogie ...

A translation of the words:

Shamisen Boogie Shamisen (sounds) Shanshan. Come on, dance Boogie Float Float Float Shamisen Shanshan. Dancing idiots, idiots who don't dance ... If the same idiots are the same idiots, it's a loss not to dance. Dance, Boogie, I like Hello Baby Shasha Ritsu Shanshan If you drink, don't get drunk. If you get drunk, don't fall in love. Boogie Ugi Floating Floating Flashy and cheerful Shasha Ritsu Shanshan Dancing gets better and better. Eggplant, pumpkin and the economy will get better. I like everything I like flowers, things that say things I like the most.
    Come on, birds and butterflies all boogie woogie.

三味線ブギーで シャシャリツ シャンシャン さあさ 踊ろよ ブギウギ 浮き浮き 浮いた浮いたよ シャシャリツ シャンシャン 踊る阿呆に 踊らぬ阿呆だよ 同じ阿呆なら 踊らにゃ損だよ さあさ 猫もしゃくしも ブギウギ ハチョイト ブギウギ 三味線ブギーで シャシャリツ シャンシャン さあさ 踊ろよ ブギウギ 好き好き ハロー・ベビー シャシャリツ シャンシャン 飲んだ酒なら 酔わずにいらりょか 酔えばお前に 惚れずにいらりょか さあさ 花も実もある ブギウギ ハチョイト ブギウギ 三味線ブギーで シャシャリツ シャンシャン さあさ 踊ろよ ブギウギ 浮き浮き 派手に陽気に シャシャリツ シャンシャン 踊りゃよくなる ますますよくなる 茄子もかぼちゃも 景気もよくなる さあさ 粋も不粋も ブギウギ ハチョイト ブギウギ 三味線ブギーで シャシャリツ シャンシャン さあさ 踊ろよ ブギウギ 好き好き パッと踊って シャシャリツ シャンシャン 花と名がつきゃ なんでも好きだよ 物を言う花 一番好きだよ さあさ 鳥も蝶々も ブギウギ ハチョイト ブギウギ
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-01-2022 at 09:49 PM.

Oh, this is all lovely and exciting! I am so delighted we’ll have Kakunen with us and your choice of music for the night… FLAWLESS

See you all later!

Sat Today
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Are the dates correct on this? Usually Zazenkai falls on Fridays in my time zone but this one is April 3rd-4th. Unless I am just thinking about this wrong which is very possible since I usually sit with the recorded version at a later date.

And it still shows this:

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Please sit our Monthly 4-Hour Treeleaf Zazenkai netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 7pm to 11pm, Los Angeles 4pm to 8pm (Friday night), London midnight to 4am and Paris 1am to 5am (early Saturday morning)), and also sitable any time thereafter:
    The Los Angeles time zone is only one hour off from mine and it still says (Friday night) like mine would be here in Wyoming.

Sorry, I just want to clarify and wasn't sure if this ones day has been changed for our guest speaker or other circumstances.

I am moving from working overnight shifts to day shifts and should be able to start attending the live sessions of Zazenkai (if it all works out correctly with my employer) instead of recorded sessions starting either this Zazenkai or the next one and I just want to make sure I have it all correct.

Thank you and sorry for running long.

Gassho
    Bobby
    SatTodayLAH
    Last edited by Kaiku; 04-01-2022 at 09:05 PM.
    Just Sit

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
    Are the dates correct on this? Usually Zazenkai falls on Fridays in my time zone but this one is April 3rd-4th. Unless I am just thinking about this wrong which is very possible since I usually sit with the recorded version at a later date.
    Hi Bobby,

Thank you for posting. Yes, it is the usual Friday night / Saturday morning. I've updated the thread title.

Deep bows,
    Sekishi
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    Hi Bobby,

Thank you for posting. Yes, it is the usual Friday night / Saturday morning. I've updated the thread title.

Deep bows,
    Sekishi
    Your welcome and thank you.

Gassho
    Bobby
    SatTodayLAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just Sit

Zoom and youtube are ready to go. See you all soon!

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah

Hi Bobby,

Deep bows,
    Sekishi
    Another April Fools ...

Another April Fools ...
    Very excited to see what dancing you’ll do on the shamisen boogie

Sat Today
    Bion
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Quote Originally Posted by Bion View Post
    Very excited to see what dancing you’ll do on the shamisen boogie

Sat Today
    I believe it will be a cross between the Hokey Pokey and a modified Bon Odori ... I will follow Kakunen's lead ...

Gassho, J

STLah

I believe it will be a cross between the Hokey Pokey and a modified Bon Odori ... I will follow Kakunen's lead ...

Gassho, J

STLah
    COUNT ME IN!!!

Sat Today
    Bion

Another April Fools ...
    I thought that’s what it was! Man, you got me this year!

Gassho
    Bobby
    SatTodayLAH

Just Sit

Thank you, everyone. Rev. Kakunen, thank you for sharing your experiences.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

That was very lovely! Thank you everyone.

Gassho
    Life itself is the only teacher.
    一 Joko Beck

STLah
    安知 Anchi

Thanks Kakunen, I had to sleep before the end but it was great to hear from you.

Al the best for your Dharma Combat!

Gassho,
    sat
    Neil

Thank you Kakunen! お疲れ様でした!

The shamisen boogie and Kakunen's talk about the Tohoku region today somehow reminded me of this great version of a Tohoku folk song, Aizu Bandaisan. And you shoulder definitely get down to this one.

Quote Originally Posted by kurisu View Post

The shamisen boogie and Kakunen's talk about the Tohoku region today somehow reminded me of this great version of a Tohoku folk song, Aizu Bandaisan.

I am trying to place the latin theme running through it (about 2:00 mark), Chris. Perez Prado?

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-02-2022 at 02:26 PM.

Thank you everyone. This is a busy weekend here but I was able to sit with the first half of the Zazenkai and I hope to catch-up with Kakunen’s talk later

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Hi

Thank you for hearing my Dharma talk.

I can remember this song.

Gassho
    Sat lah
    kakunen

Thank you Kakunen for the talk and thank you everyone

Gassho, Tomás
    Sat&LaH

Thank you Jundo, Kakunen, Sekishi and everyone!
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

I am unable to find the YouTube recording of this. Can someone upload, perhaps at least the talks by Jundo and Kakunen?

Sorry, I couldn't be there live due to the late time in Europe.

Gassho.

Sat today.

Sent from my GS190 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Prashanth View Post
    I am unable to find the YouTube recording of this. Can someone upload, perhaps at least the talks by Jundo and Kakunen?

Sorry, I couldn't be there live due to the late time in Europe.

Gassho.

Sat today.

Sent from my GS190 using Tapatalk
    It is at the top of the thread, but here it is, just on case

Sat Today
    Last edited by Bion; 04-02-2022 at 08:23 PM.
    Bion

Thank you. Strange...I am a subscriber on YouTube to this channel but it doesn't show up in the recent uploads list

Gassho.

Sat

Sent from my Lenovo TB-7305F using Tapatalk

Thank you. Strange...I am a subscriber on YouTube to this channel but it doesn't show up in the recent uploads list

Gassho.

Sat

They might not be listed, I’m not sure. You can always find the video in the first post of the week’s zazenkai But you can always just ask if the need be!

Sat Today
    Bion

Sat with you all today. Kakunen, thank you for sharing your beautiful talk. Thank you all.

Gassho,
    Kaisui
    sat&lah

Thank you for hearing my talk .

I talked my talk about Jomanji ,head monk Koya.

I find his new challenge in YouTube.
    I practice with him for 6 month.Now also contact to him.

He said very important things in this video,and his English is better than me.

I will do my best.

Good luck and hope to your peace in your heart.

Gassho
    Sat lah
    Kakunen

Last edited by Kakunen; 04-05-2022 at 01:44 PM.

I'm not sure why (mis-click when setting up the video perhaps) but the video was set to "unlisted". This has been fixed.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah

Quote Originally Posted by Kakunen View Post
    Thank you for hearing my talk .

I talked my talk about Jomanji ,head monk Koya.

I find his new challenge in YouTube.
    I practice with him for 6 month.Now also contact to him.

He said very important things in this video,and his English is better than me.

I will do my best.

Good luck and hope to your peace in your heart.

Gassho
    Sat lah
    Kakunen

My friend, thank you for this!!

Sat Today
    Bion

I'm not sure why (mis-click when setting up the video perhaps) but the video was set to "unlisted". This has been fixed.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah
    Thank you, Sekishi.

Gassho.

Sat

Hi

I also share some video and article.
    Sekishi ask me about earthquake at Tohoku in my Dharma talk.

If you have a trouble in your heart,I recommend you to stop watching video.

Video near Tozenji at Yuriage.

Video near Shoganji at Kesennuma.

When I was at this earthquake,I was teacher at elementary school at Chiba,from Tohoku about few hour.

But so dangerous situations,I can not express word.

But as monk,like monk Koya said.
    We need to think right way,keep calm.

We can not a refuse this fate.
    I think Zazen is way of accept to truth,we live in earth with ego.

Please accept this fact and …

Let’s sit Zazen!

Gassho
    Sat lah
    Kakunen

Thank you everyone, and thank you Rev. Kakunen for your talk!
    Gassho, Kiri
    Sat/Lah
    希 rare
    理 principle
    (Nikolas)

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Kakunen in my 5 1/2 years here at Treeleaf it has always wonderful to follow your journey, as you travel monastery to monastery in Japan. I have shared your ups and downs during that time, so thank you for todays talk it was good to see you back at Treeleaf HQ ! If it is at all possible, enjoy your Dharma Combat.

Deep bows sir.

Thank you all.

Sat for peace.

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Quote Originally Posted by Seishin View Post
    Kakunen in my 5 1/2 years here at Treeleaf it has always wonderful to follow your journey, as you travel monastery to monastery in Japan. I have shared your ups and downs during that time, so thank you for todays talk it was good to see you back at Treeleaf HQ ! If it is at all possible, enjoy your Dharma Combat.

Deep bows sir.

Thank you all.

Sat for peace.
    I can’t forget my practice history.

I did lots of mistake.

And now I feel pain in my heart sometimes.

But this is part of my practice.

Keep on practicing together!

Gassho
    Kakunen