Thread: Heart Sutra Different Languages

Question Heart Sutra Different Languages

I've been studying the Heart Sutra a lot recently and decided to learn it in Mandarin Chinese, as I would rather chant it in a language I'm familiar with, when chanting by myself (switching between English and Chinese). When trying to learn it, the chants I've heard in Chinese are in a different style to Japenese, a bit more melodic (can also find a lot of people singing it in Chinese as well). Out of interest, I also listened to it in Korean, which was more in the same melodic style as the Chinese way of chanting too. Just wondering why this is? Is it just because of natural differences in languages make it sound better in those languages like that?

Would be interested to hear if there was a difference in other languages as well. Obviously, we are influenced by the Japanese way, so it influences how we chant in English but I'm guessing those who follow the Chan tradition would be influenced more by the Chinese way of chanting?

These are just my observations and there also may be cases where they are chanted in the same style too.

Sorry to run long or if this is posted in the incorrect section.

Gassho
    Ross
    stlah

Hi Ross,

I am not a musicologist, although I am a translator of languages ...

The message of the Heart Sutra is beyond yet holds all languages and any languages, all melodies and any melody, the Melody of the Whole World perhaps.

Gassho, J

STlah
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-01-2022 at 02:11 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Some of our many Heart Sutras that we have met over the years ...

BeatBox ...

Gospel ... Buddha meets Beethoven ...

A Japanese Flamenco ... watch at the link ...

A Tibetan dance thing ...

... and many more ...

Gassho, J

STlah
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-31-2022 at 01:43 PM.

Hi Jundo

I understand that the method is not important and it's about the message and I also came across lots of different variations in all languages. I suppose my question is more about enquiring about how the traditions have developed and wanting to know how it is generally done in temples and monastories out of my own curiosity. I'm not a person who thinks traditions should be kept for the sake of it but I also do want to respect traditions where I can.

Gassho
    Ross
    stlah

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Hi Jundo

I understand that the method is not important and it's about the message and I also came across lots of different variations in all languages. I suppose my question is more about enquiring about how the traditions have developed and wanting to know how it is generally done in temples and monastories out of my own curiosity. I'm not a person who thinks traditions should be kept for the sake of it but I also do want to respect traditions where I can.

Gassho
    Ross
    stlah
    I am not a musicologist, but there is a chance that the Japanese chants represent something closer to the Chinese chants of an earlier time, which gradually became more musical. Even this modern recitation by Chinese priests (go about 5 minutes in) seems rather monotonal, although they put in one little lilting phrase in their chanting pattern.

See page 18 here, on early Chinese chant "recitation with an even beat" ...

https://books.google.co.jp/books?id=...rhythm&f=false

Japan also developed a more melodic kind of chanting, very popular in Soto Zen: "Baika" is a lovely type of Buddhist religious hymm singing. My Dharma Granpa, Rempo Niwa Zenji, the former Abbot of Eiheiji, was a big Baika fellow. Here is an example:

Gassho, J

STLah