Thread: Meditating with nonmeditation

Meditating with nonmeditation

Just wanted to share this article in Lion's Roar by YONGEY MINGYUR RINPOCHE where he is pointing to Buddha's final practice/non practice before his Enlightenment. Sounds very similar to Jundo's teachings on Shikantaza.

https://www.lionsroar.com/the-freedom-of-emptiness/

Finally, at Bodh Gaya, he simply let it all go. He let go of practice, let go of study, let go of meditation. He let go of the path itself. He meditated with nonmeditation—he just let everything be, as it is. And at last, when he began to let it be as it is, everything came together. Overnight, he discovered the true answer he had been so ardently seeking.

The answer: that there is no answer. Not only is there no answer, there’s no question. Everything is in fact perfect. Our nature is wonderful as it is. This is what the Buddha referred to as prajnaparamita, “beyond wisdom.” This understanding is what constituted the Buddha’s full enlightenment.
    Gassho
    Sat

Mingyur Rinpoche is a fantastic teacher, thank you for sharing. Indeed, Mahamudra and Dzogchen share a very similar "view" with Shikantaza, though the Tibetan traditions are much more heavy with preliminary practices that take decades to complete. I practiced for about a year with Rinpoche's Sangha, until I realized I needed a much simpler version of practice.

Gassho, Tomás
    Sat&LaH

Tomás, this has been the same with me. By the teachings of Mingyur Rinpoche I learned a lot about Buddhist basics and to establish a regular practice. I like him and his style of teaching very much, but before going deeper into the specifically Tibetan Buddhist teachings I felt that I wanted to find a way somewhat less detailed (if I may say so).

Btw: Thank you for your kind welcoming words.

Gassho
    Fiona

satToday

Some of the detail is "how many angels can fit on the head of a pin" speculation about nonsense, frankly. It is people arguing about issues that do not merit debate.

Today I heard a story about people arguing, in the 19th century, about how warm, and the splendid flora and fauna, that would occupy the warm sea at the center of the arctic ...

https://believermag.com/on-the-open-polar-sea/

Of course, such a sea never existed in the first place, so what were they debating about?

Many of the complexities of spiritual practice do not exist, except in the imaginations of spiritual men. Therefore, simplicity, and leaping beyond all the false ideas, is often the best way to go, cutting to the chase of what lies at the heart of all categories, debates and this vs. that.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-28-2022 at 01:38 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE