Thread: Welcome to Sunday Zazen for Peace, with Washin in Ukraine

Welcome to Sunday Zazen for Peace, with Washin in Ukraine

Dear All,

We have created this special section of the forum, hopefully only necessary for awhile until peace and sanity return, so that our Treeleaf members and visiting friends may sit in support of Washin and other Zen practitioners in the Ukraine Sangha each Sunday.

Members of the Ukraine Sangha are now widely dispersed. Some have fled as refugees. Some, terribly, remain in cities such as Kyiv which are under attack. Washin was on a farm with a shelter until a few days ago, outside of Odessa. However, we just learned that he gave up his place in the shelter to a family with small children who needed it, and decided instead to return alone to his own apartment very close to the seaport of Odessa. Fortunately, it appears that Odessa remains relatively quiet for now, although a sea invasion by the Russian navy is anticipated at some point as Odessa is a major port, and shelling of that area is very likely. May all be safe!

He plans to host Zazen live from there or wherever he can, each Sunday at the following times ...

... beginning at 6 am Los Angeles time, 9 am New York time, 2pm in London, 3pm in Paris, 4 pm Kyiv time, 5 pm Moscow time.

The gatherings will likely not be recorded, however.

The short schedule is:

- Heart Sutra, to be Chanted by Washin in Ukranian, Russian or English on alternate weeks.
    - Zazen for 40 minutes
    - The Verse of Atonement
    - The Four Vows

We have invited and expect people from the wider Zen Buddhist world to join us and to sit with Washin for peace (including, may I mention, some Zen people in Russia who have indicated that they will do their best to attend in fellowship, if the internet is not blocked.) If possible, members of Washin's Odessa Sangha will also join us for Zazen from their various locations.

Please be aware that the internet, electricity and other conditions are very unstable in Ukraine now. So, if for any reason, Washin cannot connect on certain days, we ask your understanding, and we will sit with him in our hearts. We thank Shugen and Onkai for letting us move their weekly Sunday sitting here for now.

Please note that Washin will chant the Heart Sutra before Zazen each time, but will alternate languages among Ukranian, Russian and English on various days to emphasize the need for peace and understanding among all peoples in this world. Although some who suffer now as victims of violence must rightly defend themselves, and some who do violence must be stopped by resisting the harm they do, we Buddhists do our best to remember that, ultimately, excess desire, hate, anger, violence, objectifying others and divided thinking are the root cause of war. The true message of the Heart Sutra is beyond languages.

Let us all come together in hope of peace.

Here is a recording of Washin's first Zazen gathering, on March 6th:

Tricycle had a little profile of Washin last week:

https://tricycle.org/trikedaily/zen-priest-ukriane/

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-12-2022 at 05:00 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Gassho2, meian stlh

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Doshin
    St

🙏🙏🙏
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Life itself is the only teacher.
    一 Joko Beck

STLah
    安知 Anchi

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

For those who may read in Russian here below is the Heart Sutra text we
    will be reciting today:

СУТРА СЕРДЦА О СОВЕРШЕНСТВЕ МУДРОСТИ*

Бодхисатва Авалокитешвара, практикуя глубоко *праджня парамиту, воспринимает,
    что пять скандх пусты и спасён от всех страданий и несчастий.

Шарипутра, с формой нет у пустоты различий, пустота не отличается от формы.
    Форма это то же, что и пустота, а пустота есть то же, что и форма.
    Это справедливо и о чувствах, восприятьях, порывах и сознаньи.
    Шарипутра, пустоты печать все дхармы на себе несут; не возникают все они,
    но и не исчезают, не грязны они, но и не чисты, не растут они, не убывают.

Потому-то в пустоте нет формы, нет в ней чувств и нет в ней восприятья,
    нет порывов в ней и нет сознанья; нет в ней глаз и нет ушей, нет носа, языка нет,
    тела нет, ума нет; нет в ней цвета, запаха и звука, нет ни вкуса в ней, ни прикосновенья,
    нет ни одного ума объекта; нет в ней царства глаз... вплоть до того, что нету даже области сознанья.

Нет невежества, нет избавленья от него... нет старости, нет смерти, также нет от них
    и избавленья; нет страданий, нет и их возникновенья, прекращенья нет, пути нет;
    нет познанья, также нет и достиженья.
    Так как нечего достигнуть, взял своей опорой *праджня парамиту бодхисатва,
    и в уме его преград нет.
    Без преград и страхи тут же исчезают.
    Удалясь от взглядов отрицанья, сразу же окажешься *в нирване.

В трёх мирах все будды взяв опорой *праджня парамиту достигают
    аннутара самияк самбодхи.
    Так узнай, что *праджня парамита – величайшая трасцендентная мантра,
    величайшая яркая мантра, запредельная мантра, превосходная мантра.
    Избавляет ото всех она страданий, в ней есть истина и нету в ней обмана.

Так провозглашайте эту мантру, это мантра * праджня парамиты,
    так провозглашайте ж:

Гате, гате, парагате, парасамгате, бодхи свах-а-а.

Hannya Shingyo
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

i will be in a place without internet, but i will sit with all of us..

aprapti

sat

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

Below is the link for the live stream this morning:

Gassho,
    Shoka

Thank you for posting the video. I somehow flubbed the time change even after googling it. All times are good times to sit for peace. May peace prevail.
    Gassho,
    Naiko
    st lah

Gassho
    Heisoku
    SATLA
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Thank you and deep bows to all
    May the peace prevail.

Gassho
    Washin
    stlah
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Thank you all. I was on a different laptop with a bad webcam. May peace prevail for all, and soon.

Gassho2, meian stlh

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Doshin
    st

High friends, all of us, don't you see that this is the most important thing the Buddha wanted of all least the thing he gave us before dying, to the least of us, to a lay member then we are always lay members. ultimately to Ananda, and to Shariputra, and this to all of us, most important sermon. metta, or Loving Kindness. I am not always Loving Kindness what the Buddha always meant. I try.
    Gassho
    st/lah .
    Last edited by Tai Shi; 10-18-2022 at 11:51 AM. Reason: spelling correction
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Unfortunately I was not able to participate because I must have missed the entrance time and I was not included in the session so I was extremely disappointed. However I proceeded to the free sitting room and sat for about 15 or 20 minutes with another person. I felt somewhat better for participating from a distance.
    Gassho
    sat/lah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆