Thread: March 11-12th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - DENKI KUYO Memorial Service for Electronics

March 11-12th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - DENKI KUYO Memorial Service for Electronics

Based on a traditional Japanese Buddhist rite, our Zazenkai this time includes a short ceremony and Chant to honor the electronics, computers, peripherals, software, wires, apps and smart phones which have served, extended and connected us. (details below)

Please gather your ancient devices, hardware and software, plug-ins, keyboards and motherboards to be thanked for their aid, not tossed away lightly.

電気供養

Dear All,

Please sit our Treeleaf Zazenkai for 90 minutes with Zazen, Heart Sutra and more:

10am Japan Saturday morning, NY 8pm, LA 5pm Friday night, London 1am and Paris 2am Saturday morning, or any time thereafter here:

However, "one way" live sitters are encouraged to come into the Zoom sitting, and just leave the camera and microphone turned off: Join live (with or without a camera & microphone) on Zoom at: TREELEAF Now OR at DIRECT ZOOM LINK, password (if needed): dogen

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 VERSE OF ATONEMENT & FOUR VOWS
    01:30 - 01:45(?) Informal Tea Time (All Welcome)

ATTENTION: Everyone, when rising for Kinhin or Ceremonies after Zazen, get up slowly, don't rush, hold something stable, you won't be "late," so TAKE YOUR TIME! Make sure you are careful getting up!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLah

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

Chant Book is here for those who wish to join in: CHANT BOOK LINK

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093

I also recommend a little Talk on why small rituals and procedures are so cherished in the Zendo:
    Last edited by Sekishi; 03-12-2022 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Added youtube video.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Welcome to our Third Treeleaf "Denki Kuyo" (電気供養), Memorial Service for Electronics ...

... and especially communications devices, which have left the digital world, been supplanted, unplugged, replaced and erased, and are otherwise ready to be recycled into future incarnations.

Please join us, bringing your old devices, hardware and software, plug-ins, keyboards and motherboards to be thanked for their aid, not tossed away lightly. Light incense, offer them a bow with gratitude in heart, and chant with us.

This ceremony is based on a very ancient tradition in Japan to honor farm implements, kitchen utensils, old toys and the like which have aided and enriched our lives, been extensions of our hands and tools of our sentient minds, such as this "Hari Kuyo" for dulled and broken sewing needles and pins ...

As we are a Zen Sangha connected by electrons and light, silicon and Sutras, we feel that it is important to honor the equipment and platforms that serve as our "temple halls and pavilions," for they have made our community possible. This is our third such ceremony (the first was 11 years ago, the second just 3 years ago, as technology advances quickly), and in that time we have gathered many desk tops and laptops, towers and tablets, flip phones and smart phones, modems, printers, cameras and cables that have passed their day, exceeded their useful lives and warranties. They have brought us together.

Nor are we really the first to hold such a ceremony, inspired by this memorial in Japan for beloved Aibo Robot Pups and other AI pets that have gone to digital doggie heaven ... perhaps to be refurbished and reborn in generations of AI-bowsers to come ...

Our short ceremony will commence right after our usual Heart Sutra, and will include the following Chant and Recitation (thank you to Bion, Koushi and Sekishi for writing the words with a little input from me, as well as for their recent aid in choosing the latest generation of computer and camera for our Tsukuba Zendo):

======

Following recitation of Heart Sutra:

(Three Bells and Tamp)

Today we gather to mark and commemorate the service and impermanence of the tools of hardware and software which are bridges linking our Sangha and lives, the strands of Indra’s Net and the World Wide Web, 1G, 3G, 5G and more, AI and Ohm, Bodhisattvas of boundless bandwidth, all passing from this sphere of existence as the world of technology constantly changes. They are extensions of the hands, eyes, and minds of sentient beings, and we are grateful for their service.

Dear Machines and Programs …

From the beginning, there is neither birth nor death, … nor invention, installation, running or true deletion. Yet all is booted up and shut down, and all composite things are impermanent, all files emptied, all data someday erased. Because of our particular karmic accumulation, like bytes and bits in an ongoing memory, we were able to encounter and employ you for the good of sentient beings, teaching Dharma and nurturing Sangha.

Now, let us close your covers and send you onward for recycling, that nothing may be wasted and all shall be reborn.

(JUNDO OFFERS INCENSE, THEN CEREMONIOUSLY CLOSES COVERS ON COMPUTERS WHILE THE FOREGOING IS BEING READ)

(Bell)

Let us recite this Denki Shari Raimon: “Homage to the Buddha’s Electronic Relics . . . ” (chant 1x)

With wholehearted gratitude and profound appreciation
    We respectfully honor the devices we lay to timeless shutdown today:
    Mother boards endowed with the virtue of endurance, who lovingly birthed and nurtured countless Zazenkai;
    Buffer abundant Wifi adaptors, that taught us patience and the impermanence of all meetings;
    Cables that united us across continents and time.
    Cameras are the eyes of Buddha, screens are mirrors that need no polishing,
    Microphones are the Tatagatha’s voice on top of Vulture Peak.
    We honor the printers beyond words and letters,
    Keyboards that welcome our clumsy fingers,
    and all internal parts, whether big or small.
    No wire or connector, no bit or pixel lacks worth.
    Each thing has its place and function, and all is Buddha Nature,
    Wrapped in the boundless metal case of merit, we boot and crash as one.
    Buddha’s electronic relics are digital body and mind.
    Body and mind are Dharma bytes of original nature,
    Is the stupa and data store of the Dharma Realm.
    Buddha downloads us and we upload Buddha.
    Owing to Buddha, we maintain this Source Repository.
    We commit the Prajna Patch, and with Compassion's Code,
    All creations are benefited, and run the enlightened process.
    Os and 1s, not 1 not 2;
    We remember phones of old, now bricked or outdated,
    May all signals be strong and batteries long lasting.
    We reverently bow, hoping for their rebirth in the Pure LAN of recycling,
    that they may continue in benefit of sentient beings with an Ocean of Merit,
    and not just fill the Oceans of this earth.

(THEN INO RETURNS TO OUR NORMAL DEDICATION with these ADDED WORDS ...

Buddha Nature pervades the whole universe, Reality, existing right here now:
    In reciting THE HEART OF THE PERFECTION OF GREAT WISDOM SUTRA and HOMAGE TO THE BUDDHA'S ELECTRONlC RELICS, we dedicate our sincere efforts to:

======

Gassho, J

STLAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-11-2022 at 02:01 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

lovely Will definitely light incense and chant along!

Sat Today
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Oh Wow! This is so well written. It's deep and has humor also in it. Well done, guys!

Gassho,
    Suuko.
    Has been known as Guish since 2017 on the forum here.

Maybe add in a nod to "C and Unix" to "World Wide Web, 1G, 3G, 5G and more, AI and Ohm, " from us geeks :}

Certainly none of those other things you mentioned would exist without these two. Cheers Brian, Dennis, Rob, and Ken.

See you tonight,
    Gassho, ./sat
    Neil

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by houst0n View Post
    Maybe add in a nod to "C and Unix" to "World Wide Web, 1G, 3G, 5G and more, AI and Ohm, " from us geeks :}

Certainly none of those other things you mentioned would exist without these two. Cheers Brian, Dennis, Rob, and Ken.
    ```
    #include <stdio.h>
    int main() {
    printf("__/|\__");
    return 0;
    }
    ```

The Zoom meeting and youtube stream is ready to go.

I'm working late tonight so I'll be "techno Ino" from the second laptop on my desk. A mac running BSD *nix.
    While I write code on my main development machine. A desktop running that *nix with the penguin mascot.

Deep bows,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah #code
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

I will need to sit this with the recording, with extra gratitude to the electronics that make this possible.
    Gassho,
    Naiko
    st lah

Thank you, everyone and everything that made/make the zazenkai what it is and will be. Have a great weekend!

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Thank you to all of you, and our devices for allowing us to be together!! How lovely it is to be able to come together every week! Take care of yourselves and those around you!

Sat Today
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Life itself is the only teacher.
    一 Joko Beck

STLah
    安知 Anchi

Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    ```
    #include <stdio.h>
    int main() {
    printf("__/|\__");
    return 0;
    }
    ```

The Zoom meeting and youtube stream is ready to go.

I'm working late tonight so I'll be "techno Ino" from the second laptop on my desk. A mac running BSD *nix.
    While I write code on my main development machine. A desktop running that *nix with the penguin mascot.

Deep bows,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah #code
    I was a C dev back in the Solaris days. Sigh, I do miss it. OpenBSD for (internet) networking, FreeBSD for storage, Kubernetes for apps these days :}

Thanks everyone, had to duck out during the first period due to my son waking up, sat with you this morning.

Gassho,
    #!/usr/bin/env sat --today --lah
    N

Lovely ceremony. Thank you Jundo & Jakuden

Sekishi, Bion, and Koushi -- excellent work on the special Denki Kuyo chant!

Deep appreciation for everyone's practice and the many tools that make it possible for us to come together like this.

Gassho,

Bokugan
    SatToday

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
    墨眼 | Bokugan | Sumi Ink Eye
    Ryan-S | zazenlibrarian.com

Thank you everyone!
    Gassho, Kiri
    Sat/Lah
    希 rare
    理 principle
    (Nikolas)

Thank you everyone. I sat with you this morning. To our past electronics, thank you for your service.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Thank you everyone.

Sat for peace.

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Thank you, all!

And thank you to all of the hardware and software that keeps Treeleaf going, and those who maintain it.

Deep bows
    Kokuu

Sat with you all on demand, only possible because of technology - gratitude to our tech, past present and future. Ceremony wording was delightful. Thank you to all involved.

Gassho,
    Kaisui
    sat/lah