Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 184

Thread: Merged: Inside Japanese Zen Temples and Kakunen's Anju Wanderings

  1. #1

    Merged: Inside Japanese Zen Temples and Kakunen's Anju Wanderings

    Hi Everyone!

    Kakunen from Japan.

    I take videos at Tenryuji (Kind of my home temple)

    I practice at here.

    Sharing two video,main hall and Zendo)

    I hope this will be good opportunity to know Japanese temple and culture.

    I explain at video,but my English is not good.So maybe Jundo add explanation!

    Video1



    Video2



    Please enjoy!

    Gassho
    Sat today
    Kakunen


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-20-2022 at 11:32 AM.

  2. #2
    Thank you for this Kakunen!!! Lovely temple and your explanations were perfect!!! I really appreciate your posts, always! ありがとうございました

    Sat Today
    Bion
    美音

    -------------------------
    Please consider whatever I might say as my own ideas, experiences and understanding, and not zen doctrine.
    Join me on Insight Timer
    Help me feed those in need by joining my Share The Meal team HERE

  3. #3
    Lovely.

    Kannon Bodhisattva = Bodhisattva of Compassion

    Monju = Manjushri Bodhisattva, Bodhisattva of Wisdom

    Your English is clear, Kakunen.

    Well, it is a fairly new building (I will guess 1980s?), but houses many very, very old statues. Lovely.

    Thank you, Kakunen.

    Gassho, J

    STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-03-2022 at 12:53 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

  4. #4
    That was fascinating, thank you Kakunen - and your English was very good.

    Gassho,

    Heiso

    StLah

  5. #5
    Greatly appreciated

    gassho
    ds sat lah and dokusan today
    Visiting unsui, take w/salt.

  6. #6
    Greatly appreciated, friend.

    Jundo, I have a small question you may or may not have the answer to.
    The part early on in the first video where he shows the statues of the ancient masters, there are two on the left which have Kanji drawn on the upper torso.
    Is this supposed to represent tattoos of scripture they had or something? Was there a custom for early masters to tattoo scripture?

    Gassho,
    Nengyoku
    Sat
    Thank you for being the warmth in my world.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Nengyoku View Post
    The part early on in the first video where he shows the statues of the ancient masters, there are two on the left which have Kanji drawn on the upper torso.
    Is this supposed to represent tattoos of scripture they had or something? Was there a custom for early masters to tattoo scripture?
    I cannot see close enough to read what is written, so we can ask Kakunen (at 1:00 to 1:15 of first video). Maybe a scripture, maybe the name of the artist or Arhat, maybe a dedication to the donor.

    Those statues represent 16 of the early Arhats of India, the Buddha's immediate and most famous early disciples (plus Bodhidharma, seated in a big chair, sometimes in groups of 18 or 500, known as Arakan in Japan and Lohan in China). I have looked through several collections, such as this ...

    http://rakan.or.jp/en/rakan_gallery/page/6

    ... and I cannot find anything with similar iconography so as to identify who that is. While tattoos where not forbidden in the early Buddhist Vinaya rules (unless they indicated that someone was a prisoner escaped from jail), I don't believe that would be a tattoo, no. I cannot find a mention of writing on the skin either.

    Here are some interesting stories about the Arhats in English, and they are quite wondrous figures. They might fit right into Lord of the Rings.

    https://www.photodharma.net/Malaysia...Storyboard.htm

    Here are some other examples:


    https://tounji.net/2017/09/29/post_24/



    Kakunen, can you read and tell us what it says? (In Japanese is okay, and I will translate).

    Gassho, J

    STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-04-2022 at 01:05 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

  8. #8
    Treeleaf Unsui Nengei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Praha, Česká Republika
    I find myself wondering whether the "halos" on some of these Arhat figures are a result of later Christian influence, or a part of original lore.

    I also wonder whether the figures require any ongoing care (other than maintenance from wear) in the form of offerings, bathing, etc. I am not familiar with such in our Buddhist practice, but in Indian traditions the degree of care for diety or honored-person figures is... extensive.

    Thank you for keeping us updated, and for these wonderful videos, Kakunen! I always look forward to your posts.

    Gassho,
    Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.

  9. #9
    Thank you for the tour Kakunen.


    Tairin
    Sat today and lah

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Nengei View Post
    I find myself wondering whether the "halos" on some of these Arhat figures are a result of later Christian influence, or a part of original lore.

    I also wonder whether the figures require any ongoing care (other than maintenance from wear) in the form of offerings, bathing, etc. I am not familiar with such in our Buddhist practice, but in Indian traditions the degree of care for diety or honored-person figures is... extensive.

    Thank you for keeping us updated, and for these wonderful videos, Kakunen! I always look forward to your posts.
    The Halo is not, in my understanding, found in the earliest Buddhist iconography (which, by the way, did not depict the physical form of the Buddha at all, but only an empty space, an empty seat, a tree, the Dharma Wheel or footprints to represent the Buddha). Such influences developed on the Silk Road, which is why there is much Greek influence in traditional Buddhist art as far away as Japan and Korea. More about that here:

    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...l=1#post262370

    This fellow explains:

    So how did the halo's influence spread across the world and between religions? The initial movement of this piece of religious iconography is outwards east and west from its birthplace in Iran, in the hands of some of the past's most powerful empires.

    In the First Century AD, the Indo-Scythians (nomads from Iran) and the Kushans (from Bactria, Afghanistan) invaded the regions to their southeast, the territories now covered by modern-day Pakistan, Afghanistan and northern India. Both empires, which were steeped in ancient Iranian cultural history, brought coinage with them that represented Mithra with a halo. This youthful and attractive god with his divine radiance had an obvious appeal to a growing number of people around the Hindu Kush. So much so that the iconography of Buddha – even from the earliest visual representations of him, such as the Bimaran reliquary (which might date from the late First Century AD), show him with a Mithraic halo. ... Buddhism, Jainism and Hinduism peacefully coexisted in India in the first millennium AD, and the three religions shared ideas and artistic iconography, including haloes. The earliest sculpted representations of haloes in Indian religious art come from the two great centres of art production, Gandhara (on the border of Pakistan and Afghanistan) and Mathura (90 miles south of Delhi).

    ... In late antiquity and the Middle Ages, Gandhara stood at the centre of an immense network of trading routes that stretched to China in the east and the Mediterranean in the west. Buddhist monasteries appeared along the key junctures of the trade highways to serve as religious versions of caravanserais. They offered a place for merchants to rest, pray and recuperate, and became the springboards from which Buddhism spread overland to China, where artists replicated the religion's iconography. By the 500s AD, haloes were appearing in art in Korea and Japan, indicating the arrival of Buddhism in these regions too.
    https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/...ound-the-world
    Another Asian art blog add:

    According to ancient Greek history, a halo was used to describe a circle of lights around the head of heroes of ancient Greece. In ancient Greece, many spiritual characters were depicted with a halo such as Perseus, Lyssa (figure of madness), Sphinx (Sea demon), Thetis (the sea-nymph) and the Sun God Helios. Most of the Greek Gods were not depicted with a halo. The only Greek gods who were depicted with a halo were Helios, Goddess of Dawn (Eos) and Eos’s son Eosphorous.
    Halo was quite popular in ancient art of Rome. In Late 2nd Century AD, Apollo Helios was depicted with a halo in the ancient city of Rome, Thysdrus. According to Roman history, Halo first appeared in the culture of Hellenistic Rome and Greece. Halo was particularly popular in mosaic, an art of creating images. Another great mosaic piece was the depiction of Alexander the Great with a light of Halo around his head. ...

    ... The halo as well as aureola is quite popular in Indian art as well as Chinese art. A halo is often used to depict Buddhist iconography. The ancient depictions of Lord Buddha often show Gautama Buddha with a halo. But some Buddhist texts mentioned that Lord Buddha never had a halo around his head. These texts say that Lord Buddha emitted rays of light (of different color like blue, yellow, red and white) during the time of nirvana and Parinirvana. Halo was also in practice in ancient Japanese, Chinese and Tibetan Buddhism. The Haloes were mostly used to depict Amitabha Buddha and others in Buddhist art of Japanese and Chinese Buddhism. Various Buddhist deities in Tibetan Buddhism such as Padmasambhava and Milarepa are also shown with Haloes around their head. The color of Haloes has their own meaning like the orange halo represented Buddhist monks, green colored halo represented circle of light around Lord Buddha head and other colors represented the elevated beings in Buddhism. Theravada Buddhism and Jainism neglected the use of Halo in their art for many centuries but later adopted the use of Halo.
    The earliest appearance of the halo in Asian art occurred in early 1st century AD. The kings and rulers of ancient Kushan Empire were the earliest to use Halo in their coins and in their art. It is said that the use of nimbus may have originated from Kushan Empire in Central Asia and later the use of Halo became quite popular in many religions of Asia.
    https://www.buddha-heads.com/buddha-...tues/the-halo/
    The statues such as Kakunen shows are old and wooden, with fragile surfaces and paint, so they cannot be bathed. I assume that they are carefully dusted from time to time. Certainly, offerings are made daily as part of the temple schedule, so that you can see in the video (1:00 mark) the incense burner, tea cup, flowers and candle holders in front of the 16 Arhat statues.

    We have one Arhat in our Zendo in Tsukuba, by the way (or, I suspect is an Arhat), quite large (about 3 ft/100cm tall). I also have struggled to identify specifically which of the Arhats he is. He holds a fly-swatter and shouts or laughs at the sky, dressed as a Zen Master ...


    Gassho, J

    STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-04-2022 at 02:42 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    I cannot see close enough to read what is written, so we can ask Kakunen (at 1:00 to 1:15 of first video). Maybe a scripture, maybe the name of the artist or Arhat, maybe a dedication to the donor.

    Those statues represent 16 of the early Arhats of India, the Buddhas immediate and most famous early disciples (plus Bodhidharma, seated in a big chair, sometimes in groups of 18 or 500, known as Arakan in Japan and Lohan in China). I have looked through several collections, such as this ...

    http://rakan.or.jp/en/rakan_gallery/page/6

    ... and I cannot find anything with similar iconography so as to identify who that is. While tattoos where not forbidden in the early Buddhist Vinaya rules (unless they indicated that someone was a prisoner escaped from jail), I don't believe that would be a tattoo, no. I cannot find a mention of writing on the skin either.

    Here are some interesting stories about the Arhats in English, and they are quite wondrous figures. They might fit right into Lord of the Rings.

    https://www.photodharma.net/Malaysia...Storyboard.htm

    Here are some other examples:


    https://tounji.net/2017/09/29/post_24/



    Kakunen, can you read and tell us what it says? (In Japanese is okay, and I will translate).

    Gassho, J

    STLah
    Jundo

    I asked to head monk.

    This is name of donor and part of chant,he said.But he doesn't know about meaning of chant,
    because these are very old.

    Gassho
    sat today
    Kakunen

  12. #12
    生と死をください

    STLah
    安知 Anchi

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Kakunen View Post
    Jundo

    I asked to head monk.

    This is name of donor and part of chant,he said.But he doesn't know about meaning of chant,
    because these are very old.

    Gassho
    sat today
    Kakunen
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

  14. #14
    Thank you, Kakunen, for this lovely tour.
    Gassho,
    Naiko
    st

  15. #15
    Very nice, Kakunen. Many thanks for such a clear and heartfelt exposition.

    Gassho.

    stlah
    東西 - Tōsei - East West
    there is only what is, and it is all miraculous

  16. #16
    Thank you very much Kakunen. This was lovely to see.

    Gassho, Shinshi

    SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

  17. #17
    Very interesting to see, and so well organized and taken care of! Thank you for sharing Kakunen

    Gassho, Tomás
    Sat&LaH
    Last edited by Tomás ESP; 03-08-2022 at 01:01 PM.

  18. #18
    Thank you, it was very thoughtful of you! I enjoyed the videos :-)

    Gassho,
    Mags
    ST

  19. #19

    Try to make video,challenge to talk in Engish,talk about March 11th.

    Hi

    I try to make video.Talking about March 11th 2011 Big earthquake at Japan,
    and my monastaric life.

    Sorry for bad English.



    And also share about Tohoku area at now.

    https://japan-forward.com/rememberin...rts-landscape/
    Please see warm eye

    Gassho
    sat today
    kakunen
    Last edited by Kakunen; 03-11-2022 at 10:01 AM.

  20. #20
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

  21. #21

  22. #22

    Naiko
    st lah

  23. #23
    Thank you for your effort Kakunen! Well done!!!

    Sat Today
    Bion
    美音

    -------------------------
    Please consider whatever I might say as my own ideas, experiences and understanding, and not zen doctrine.
    Join me on Insight Timer
    Help me feed those in need by joining my Share The Meal team HERE

  24. #24

    hobo kore dojo / 歩々これ道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice


    Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

  25. #25
    Thank you very much Kakunen. Nicely done.

    Gassho, Shinshi

    SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

  26. #26


    Gassho, Tomás
    Sat&LaH

  27. #27
    Thank you very much for your video Kakunen. I appreciate all your efforts to share your experiences in the various temples and monasteries there.

    Your English is fine.


    Tairin
    Sat today and lah

  28. #28
    Thank you Kakunen, please be encouraged by your efforts

    Gassho

    Mike

    sat today
    Let everything happen to you: Beauty and terror. Just keep going. No feeling is final. - Rainer Maria Rilke

  29. #29
    Thank you Kakunen for sharing your experience.
    "Simple" English is best (not really simple) for truly communicating, I think.

    I hope to meet you at Jundo's Zendo.
    よろしくお願いします。

    Chris

  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    The Halo is not, in my understanding, found in the earliest Buddhist iconography (which, by the way, did not depict the physical form of the Buddha at all, but only an empty space, an empty seat, a tree, the Dharma Wheel or footprints to represent the Buddha). Such influences developed on the Silk Road, which is why there is much Greek influence in traditional Buddhist art as far away as Japan and Korea. More about that here:

    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...l=1#post262370

    This fellow explains:



    Another Asian art blog add:



    The statues such as Kakunen shows are old and wooden, with fragile surfaces and paint, so they cannot be bathed. I assume that they are carefully dusted from time to time. Certainly, offerings are made daily as part of the temple schedule, so that you can see in the video (1:00 mark) the incense burner, tea cup, flowers and candle holders in front of the 16 Arhat statues.

    We have one Arhat in our Zendo in Tsukuba, by the way (or, I suspect is an Arhat), quite large (about 3 ft/100cm tall). I also have struggled to identify specifically which of the Arhats he is. He holds a fly-swatter and shouts or laughs at the sky, dressed as a Zen Master ...


    Gassho, J

    STLah
    Wow. I mean, I considered the halo to be the oldest thing in terms of Indian art. I saw Zoroastrian images and there was a halo on the images of Ahura Mazda and Mitra(here). I believed that the same was present in the images of Surya and Agni, since the Indo-Iranian culture was fire-worshipping. I thought that Buddhist iconography adopted Vedic features. But the earliest images of a halo in India were in the 2nd-1st century BC after the conquests of Alexander the Great. Sorry for the nerd

    Gassho
    Wabo
    ST

  31. #31
    Interesting, beautiful and impressive. Thank you for sharing, Kakunen

    Gassho
    Washin
    stlah
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

  32. #32
    Thank you for sharing. Your English is very good and the temple is beautiful.

    Gassho
    Markus
    SatToday

  33. #33

    My mother at hospital almost die.

    Hi

    I was called from hospital at noon,lots of times.From Tokyo.

    I was at Sesshin,so I can not pick calls.

    Doctor said to me my mother was very big damaged at Brain,at this morning station.

    I said to head monk,and stop my roll,Zazen and chant leader and time keeper.

    I am at Fukui near temple and I ready to leave Tokyo(hospital)at midnight bus.

    She is at dangerous situation,separate from everything,no mind(意識がない)

    She have no family,only me and my son and my uncle?(おじさん)

    Uncle who is 76 years old but he is at Tohoku(work at place ,keep condition of earthquake at few days ago)

    L.....oooong story from my mother and me.

    I vert hurted and dameged by my mother and father.They do big violence to me,,,,

    But I need to go,stop leader position of this Tenryuji Sesshin,and waiting for midnight bus at Fukui.


    Sometimes we suffer big problem,I can remember what Jundo said to me,about his experience.

    And WW2 happend at 1940th,my grandfaher died(my father's father)at 1945 at Sea near Phillipine 36 years old,so old.and also grandfather (mother's father)suffer to do big villence to from Chinese at 1945.he must to kill lots of people.(He was also war at China from 1943)

    This is fact that I become monk.

    STOP THE FLOW OF THIS,noboby can not stoped.

    MY father's mother try to say this fact,But she did not say,so my おじさん always talk to me.
    Add my mother's mother always invite to go to temple,because,, she said I am wise.

    BUT BUDDHA AND us can not stop this flow

    In out SANGHA.
    Like WASHIN at EUROPE. We can do effort to go peace moment by moment.

    I wait to midnight bus,and thank you to allow to leave head monk at Tenryuji,
    because lots of lay person SIT SESSHIN.Waiting for my hitting.thank you!

    But I left here.I feel that the time will stop but can not stop.I feel nothing.Just I can remember memory
    with parent at childhood.SO DEEPLY,as Washin.

    We can forget but can not forget.

    I can not speak and understand English,but I feel English.
    BUT I FEEL.

    I can remember this song.By Sinéad O'Connor Nothing Compares 2U
    Very licky for my,my friedns whom family came back from Europe,because near
    社宅 of 大使館 と商社(Jundo please help me to translate)

    I also lots of songs of 80th and 90th songs at US and UK.

    I used to hear A-ha,Roxette,The corrs,Jane child,Bette Midler,Cheap trick,Bon Jovi
    The band heart,U2,Pet shop boys,The corrs,SAVAGE GARDEN,my idol.

    ====
    All the flowers that you planted, mama, in the back yard
    All died when you went away
    I know that living with you baby was sometimes hard
    But I'm willing to give it another try



    ====
    I will leave Fukui to Tokyo an midnight.
    ====

    I hope my mother will be at peace,if she will die.

    But I realize if she will be at healthy condition because of my son.

    ====
    But I'm will cry.

    In song.

    Stop war (Memory of WW2 and now war at Europe)

    Deep Bows.

    これが私の精一杯の英語です。Jundo please translate this.

    See you later.

    I try to re-write again so many times.

    SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH.

    WORLD WILL PEACE WHEN WE WILL DO ZEN PRACTIFCE.

    CRY CRY CRY. See you soon and next week.

    Gassho
    Nine bows
    Sat today
    Kakunen
    Last edited by Kakunen; 03-22-2022 at 11:15 AM.

  34. #34
    Metta to your mother, to you and to all those who shape your life and beyond, Kakunen.
    Stay strong!

    Gassho..



    Sat today.

    Sent from my GS190 using Tapatalk

  35. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Kakunen View Post
    Hi

    I was called from hospital at noon,lots of times.From Tokyo.

    I was at Sesshin,so I can not pick calls.

    Doctor said to me my mother was very big damaged at Brain,at this morning station.

    I said to head monk,and stop my roll,Zazen and chant leader and time keeper.

    I am at Fukui near temple and I ready to leave Tokyo(hospital)at midnight bus.

    She is at dangerous situation,separate from everything,no mind(意識がない)

    She have no family,only me and my son and my uncle?(おじさん)

    Uncle who is 76 years old but he is at Tohoku(work at place ,keep condition of earthquake at few days ago)

    L.....oooong story from my mother and me.

    I vert hurted and dameged by my mother and father.They do big violence to me,,,,

    But I need to go,stop leader position of this Tenryuji Sesshin,and waiting for midnight bus at Fukui.


    Sometimes we suffer big problem,I can remember what Jundo said to me,about his experience.

    And WW2 happend at 1940th,my grandfaher died(my father's father)at 1945 at Sea near Phillipine 36 years old,so old.and also grandfather (mother's father)suffer to do big villence to from Chinese at 1945.he must to kill lots of people.(He was also war at China from 1943)

    This is fact that I become monk.

    STOP THE FLOW OF THIS,noboby can not stoped.

    MY father's mother try to say this fact,But she did not say,so my おじさん always talk to me.
    Add my mother's mother always invite to go to temple,because,, she said I am wise.

    BUT BUDDHA AND us can not stop this flow

    In out SANGHA.
    Like WASHIN at EUROPE. We can do effort to go peace moment by moment.

    I wait to midnight bus,and thank you to allow to leave head monk at Tenryuji,
    because lots of lay person SIT SESSHIN.Waiting for my hitting.thank you!

    But I left here.I feel that the time will stop but can not stop.I feel nothing.Just I can remember memory
    with parent at childhood.SO DEEPLY,as Washin.

    We can forget but can not forget.

    I can not speak and understand English,but I feel English.
    BUT I FEEL.

    I can remember this song.By Sinéad O'Connor Nothing Compares 2U
    Very licky for my,my friedns whom family came back from Europe,because near
    社宅 of 大使館 と商社(Jundo please help me to translate)

    I also lots of songs of 80th and 90th songs at US and UK.

    I used to hear A-ha,Roxette,The corrs,Jane child,Bette Midler,Cheap trick,Bon Jovi
    The band heart,U2,Pet shop boys,The corrs,SAVAGE GARDEN,my idol.

    ====
    All the flowers that you planted, mama, in the back yard
    All died when you went away
    I know that living with you baby was sometimes hard
    But I'm willing to give it another try



    ====
    I will leave Fukui to Tokyo an midnight.
    ====

    I hope my mother will be at peace,if she will die.

    But I realize if she will be at healthy condition because of my son.

    ====
    But I'm will cry.

    In song.

    Stop war (Memory of WW2 and now war at Europe)

    Deep Bows.

    これが私の精一杯の英語です。Jundo please translate this.

    See you later.

    I try to re-write again so many times.

    SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH.

    WORLD WILL PEACE WHEN WE WILL DO ZEN PRACTIFCE.

    CRY CRY CRY. See you soon and next week.

    Gassho
    Nine bows
    Sat today
    Kakunen
    Many good wishes for your mother and yourself Kakunen. You know how impermanent everything is and how sudden change happens. Best we can do is to be sincere in every moment regardless of what the situation is, so please, do your best, do what’s right and know you have many people here who want to support and encourage you! Deep bows to you.

    Sat Today
    Bion
    美音

    -------------------------
    Please consider whatever I might say as my own ideas, experiences and understanding, and not zen doctrine.
    Join me on Insight Timer
    Help me feed those in need by joining my Share The Meal team HERE

  36. #36
    Much metta to you and your mother, Kakunen. I wish you strength and peace among all that is happening.

    未練なく散も桜はさくら哉

    without regret
    they fall and scatter…
    cherry blossoms


    - Kobayashi Issa


    Deep bows
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-
    ------------------------------------
    Feel free to message me if you wish to talk about issues around practicing with physical limitations. This is something I have been sitting with for a fair while and am happy to help with suggestions or just offer a listening ear.

  37. #37
    ありがとうございます。

    私はとてもチャレンジングです。

    日本語ですが、ミスチル Tommorw never knows を貼ります。

    彼の言葉はまた説明します。 英語です。

    I will try to share this,as you scribe is fact.

    I will try to translate after.
    But she always say my father was so----famous artist.so I can remember this.

    Over country,


    Jundo always thank you.You are my first treacher,please forgive me.
    Kokku Always helpful,over country and culture.

    Challenging song for my roots.

    Will go to Tokyo,JUNDO Treeleaf
    And Kokku.



    Gassho
    Sat today
    kakunen
    Last edited by Kakunen; 03-23-2022 at 06:23 PM.

  38. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    Much metta to you and your mother, Kakunen. I wish you strength and peace among all that is happening.

    未練なく散も桜はさくら哉

    without regret
    they fall and scatter…
    cherry blossoms


    - Kobayashi Issa


    Deep bows
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-
    Gassho kakunen

  39. #39
    Tsukuba is close by if you need, Kakunen.

    Do you have a way to stay at your mother's house now?

    Let us know what is happening.

    Now, Metta and we sit Zazen for your mother, and you.

    I remember my mother too, all our mothers.

    Gassho, J

    STlah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

  40. #40
    metta, Kakunen..

    aprapti

    sat

    hobo kore dojo / 歩々これ道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice


    Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

  41. #41
    So sorry to hear the news Kakunen. Much metta to you, your mother, and your family.

    We know life is impermanent. And yet sometimes it still hits you hard. I wish you peace.

    Gassho, Shinshi

    SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

  42. #42
    I'm sorry to hear this, Kakunen. Metta to you and your mother

    Gassho,

    Heiso

    StLah

  43. #43
    I cry with you Kakunen, for the time that can't be stopped and the suffering of the world. Sending you my best wishes so that your mother and you are at peace. Thank you for sharing, as always

    Gassho, Tomás
    Sat&LaH

  44. #44
    Metta to your mother and you, Kakunen. Will be sitting for you and your family.
    Gassho,
    Naiko
    st

  45. #45
    Metta for Kakunen and for his mother.


    Tairin
    Sat today and lah

  46. #46
    Treeleaf Unsui Nengei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Praha, Česká Republika
    Metta for your mother, my friend. Metta for you, for your uncle, for your son. Metta for the history and the flow and the things we cannot stop or change.

    Gassho,
    Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.

  47. #47
    Here is a former temple (said to have been staffed by nuns) that is up for sale, I guess as a home? in Higashiyama, Kyoto.



    "Permission to film was granted in advance."

    gassho
    ds satlah
    Visiting unsui, take w/salt.

  48. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Shōnin Risa Bear View Post
    Here is a former temple (said to have been staffed by nuns) that is up for sale, I guess as a home? in Higashiyama, Kyoto.
    If not in such a nice location and famous city, if you go into the far countryside, there are many which may be available almost for no money. Sometimes the entire town where they are has become a ghost town because of urbanization, the younger folks moving to the cities.

    Gassho, J

    STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

  49. #49
    Update on situation

    Sorry for write in Japanese,please somebody try to translate in ENGLISH.

    [Translated in part:]

    I thank the healthcare professionals. Very calm and of high quality. Even amid the corona storm, they are doing their utmost.

    I don't have money, so they understand the situation, and my uncle and aunt (mother's brother and wife) support me. My uncle is 76 years old, but he is still working due to the recent big earthquake on repair in Sendai (very far from here). My mother is 78 years old and also works. My younger brother's wife is Thai and is about 60 years old. She works hard in Japan and sends money home to her Thai family. And she respects me because she is Thai. Buddhist monks are respected in Thailand

    ...


    Even so, even if I get ill, I have been doing my best for my family and for peace. I think many people think I'm overdoing it, but that's the opinion of others. If I don't do it, so who will do it? So the way I keep my balance is always strict.

    That war has caused this situation and economic growth has corrupted selfish humans. Therefore, I would like to work hard every day to be more calm and happy.

    I heard from the doctor that my mother had regained her consciousness ... I heard that my aunt is preparing to stop her work for a while and help my mother. Of course I too will do what I can, but at the end of March, I have to make greeting at the Hossen Shiki ceremony, and I have devoted myself to Tenryu-ji Temple, and then I have a plan to go to Nagasaki. It's a crucial moment in life.

    Keep calm, smile, breathe well, and consult about money with everyone.

    And above all, I have to think about the future of myself and my son, as well as world peace.

    I did zazen today as well. Please do zazen as well.

    The difficulties that are close to us personally now in life and the difficulties in Europe are from the same cause. Stay balanced, respect others firmly. And sometimes I do what I do, even if I'm all about myself.

    I realized now that this was what Dogen has taught me.

    Let's all sit!
    Hope to keep peace.Sorry for written in Japanese.

    We are all same being,and hope to keep peace.

    So let's SIT ZAZEN in your time.
    Gassho
    Nine bows
    Kakunen
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-23-2022 at 05:34 AM.

  50. #50
    I am glad that your mother has awoken, Kakunen.

    We will keep sitting for her, and for you.

    Gassho, J

    STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •