Thread: February 18th-19th, 2022 - Our SPECIAL "NEHAN-E" ZAZENKAI!

February 18th-19th, 2022 - Our SPECIAL "NEHAN-E" ZAZENKAI!

WELCOME to our Memorial & Celebration of NEHAN-E, (Pari-Nirvana) the traditional day to mark the historical Buddha's death and passing from this visible world. This is also a day for each of us to remember in our homes those family and friends who have gone before.

As well, our Sangha particularly recalls Nishijima Gudo Wafu (who passed on January 28th, 2014) and Rempo Niwa Zenji (who passed September 7th, 1993). I will also be remembering three teachers who were mentors in Japan and America, and great influences on Treeleaf, Jiho Sargent Roshi, Azuma Ikuo Roshi and Doshin Cantor Roshi.

During this Zazenkai, we will commence with SPECIAL CHANTS & a CEREMONY to recall our parents, grand-parents, siblings, our relatives near and distant, all our ancestors reaching back through the generations, and our dear friends and other cherished ones who have passed.

We have also added a special remembrance for children, born or unborn, now departed, as "we open our hearts to grief, to the bonds which will always remain, and proclaim our vow to care for the children of this world today."

Please sit with us at 10am Japan Saturday morning, NY 8pm, LA 5pm Friday night, London 1am and Paris 2am Saturday morning, or any time thereafter here:

However, "one way" live sitters are encouraged to come into the Zoom sitting, and just leave the camera and microphone turned off: Join live (with or without a camera & microphone) on Zoom at: TREELEAF Now OR at DIRECT ZOOM LINK, password (if needed): dogen

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (SHARIRAIMON in ENGLISH / HEART SUTRA in JAPANESE) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 VERSE OF ATONEMENT & FOUR VOWS
    01:30 - 01:45(?) Informal Tea Time (All Welcome)

For this special Zazenkai, a statue of the reclining ‘Buddha Entering Parinirvana’, a little Jizo Bodhisattva as Protector of Children, and a Plaque dedicated to all past Generations of Zen Ancestors, will be given special prominence

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLah

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

Chant Book is here for those who wish to join in: CHANT BOOK LINK

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093

I also recommend a little Talk on why small rituals and procedures are so cherished in the Zendo:

SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: Small Things in the Zendo

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...s-in-the-Zendo
    Last edited by Jundo; 02-17-2023 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Added youtube video.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Our Ceremony today is below.

Information on the "At Home" remembrance, which you may wish to undertake with your own family, is at this link:

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...-Zazenkai-2022

You can print out the following if you will join in reciting for this Zazenkai:

======================================

Parinirvana Ceremony
    (at Nehan-e Zazenkai)

A statue of the reclining ‘Buddha Entering Parinirvana’, a little Jizo Bodhisattva as Protector of Children, and a Plaque dedicated to all past Generations of Zen Ancestors, will be given special prominence

The Ceremony will begin as usual, with Three Full Prostrations or Deep Bows, then ...

- Shariraimon, in English recited 1x.

- Hannya Shingyo (Heart Sutra) will be recited in Japanese.

- Followed by the Ino reading a special Dedication for Parinirvana

Ino:

“The Verse of Homage to Buddha's Relics, Shariraimon”

All:

With/ whole/heart/ed/ gra/ti/tude/ we/ bow/
    to/ the/ re/lics/ still/ pre/sent of/ the/ True/ Bo/dy/ [*] of/ the/ Ta/tha/ga/ta/ Sha/kya/mu/ni,/
    who/ is/ ful/ly/ en/dowed/ with/ my/ri/ad/ vir/tues;/
    to/ the/ Dhar/ma/ Bo/dy/ which/ is/ Truth/ it/self;/
    and/ to/ the/ whole/ u/ni/verse/ which/ is/ his/ Stu/pa./
    With/ deep/ res/pect/ we/ ve/ner/ate/ the/ One/
    who /lived/ his/ life/ for/ the/ sake/ of/ all/ be/ings./
    Though/ the/ sus/ten/ance/ of/ Bud/dha,/ the/ Truth/
    en/ters/ us/ and/ we/ en/ter/ Truth./
    Let/ us/ strive/ to/ be/ne/fit/ all/ li/ving/ be/ings,/[*] a/rouse/ the/ thought/ of/ A/wa/ken/ing,/
    cul/ti/vate/ Bod/hi/sat/tva/ Prac/tice,/
    and/ to/ge/ther/ en/ter/ Per/fect/ Peace,/ [*] the/ pen/e/tra/tion/ of/ the/ e/qua/li/ty/ of/ all/ things./
    Now/ let/ us/ re/ver/ent/ly/ bow.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Then …

Ino:

“Maka Hannya Haramita Shin Gyo”

All:

Kan Ji Zai Bo Satsu Gyo Jin Han Nya Ha Ra Mi Ta Ji Sho
    Ken Go[*] On Kai Ku Do I Sai Ku Yaku Sha Ri Shi Shiki Fu
    I Ku Ku Fu I Shiki Shiki Soku Ze Ku Ku Soku Ze Shiki Ju
    So Gyo Shiki Yaku Bu Nyo Ze Sha Ri Shi Ze Sho Ho Ku
    So Fu Sho Fu Metsu Fu Ku Fu Jo Fu Zo Fu Gen Ze Ko Ku
    Chu Mu Shiki Mu Ju So Gyo Shiki Mu Gen Ni Bi Ze Shin
    Ni Mu Shiki Sho Ko Mi Soku Ho Mu Gen Kai Nai Shi Mu
    I Shiki Kai Mu Mu Myo Yaku Mu Mu Myo Jin Nai Shi Mu
    Ro Shi Yaku Mu Ro Shi Jin Mu Ku Shu Metsu Do Mu Chi
    Yaku Mu Toku I Mu Sho Tok ko Bo Dai Sat Ta E Han-Nya
    Ha Ra Mi Ta Ko[*] Shin Mu Kei Ge Mu Kei Ge Ko Mu
    U Ku Fu On Ri Is-Sai Ten Do Mu So Ku Gyo Ne Han San
    Ze Sho Butsu E Han Nya Ha Ra Mi Ta Ko[*] Toku A Noku
    Ta Ra San Myaku San Bo Dai Ko Chi Han-Nya Ha Ra Mi
    Ta Ze Dai Jin Shu Ze Dai Myo Shu Ze Mu Jo Shu Ze Mu
    To Do Shu No Jo Is sai Ku Shin Jitsu Fu Ko Ko Setsu Han
    Nya Ha Ra Mi Ta Shu Soku Setsu Shu Watsu Gya* Tei
    Gya Tei Ha Ra Gya Tei Hara[*] So Gya Tei Bo Ji Sowa Ka

Han Nya Shin Gyo [* * *]

Followed by Dedication, as follows:

Buddha Nature pervades the whole universe, Reality, existing right here now: We recall this day when some 2500 years ago, Shakyamuni Buddha, our historical Teacher, entered into Parinirvana. In reciting THE VERSE OF HOMAGE TO THE BUDDHA’S RELICS and THE HEART OF THE PERFECTION OF GREAT WISDOM SUTRA we offer our reverence, and dedicate this gathering, to our great original source teacher, Shakyamuni Buddha. On this day of his entry into Parinirvana, mindful of his Teachings, we go forward with boundless gratitude and joy and vow to practice endlessly…

The Pure Dharma Body of the Buddha is always clear, beyond birth and death and expressed by all things, yet cannot be seen so long as one is lost in duality. The Buddha lived within coming and going, birth and death, a man of great compassion for all living beings. For this we bow in gratitude, and aspire that we may illuminate our minds in the midst of delusion.

On this day we have gathered to commemorate our Great Teacher Shakyamuni Buddha’s entry into Parinirvana, and we offer incense, flowers, light, fruit and sweet water, all symbols of reverence, life and the satisfaction of all desires. We further dedicate the merit of this Zazen gathering in gratitude for his great Compassionate acts in leaving us these Timeless Teachings.

The moon over Mount Ryoju, the Vulture Peak, shines wonderously in all directions.

The sala trees bloom and their petals convey the fragrance of the Dharma down through time.

The Buddha transcended desire and his understanding has helped all who are deluded until this present moment. The merits of suchness will extend from the beginningless past to the endless future.

All the myriad forms of existence join in recognizing the profound importance of this day and wholeheartedly recite with us, some in words and some in silence. We are filled with awe at the countless voices which thus proclaim the Dharma, and we vow to embrace and sustain it endlessly. We also remember and dedicate this day and these efforts to all our parents, grand-parents, siblings, our relatives near and distant, all our ancestors reaching back through the generations, and our dear friends and other cherished ones who have passed from this seen world.

And for those children we recall, born or unborn, now departed, we open our hearts to grief, to the bonds which will always remain, and proclaim our vow to care for the children of this world today.

Thus, let the harmful effects of words, thoughts and actions be dispelled
    and Compassion bloom in perpetual spring.
    May we all realize and live the Enlightened Way together:

EVERYONE CHANTS:

ø All Buddhas throughout space and time
    ø All Bodhisattvas-Mahasattvas
    ø Maha • Prajna • Paramita

(then 3x PROSTRATIONS or DEEP BOWS by EVERYONE)

This is followed by the beginning of Zazen.
    Last edited by Jundo; 02-18-2022 at 03:11 AM.

Suuko is ready for tomorrow!

Gassho,
    Sat,
    Suuko.

Sent from my M2101K7BNY using Tapatalk
    Has been known as Guish since 2017 on the forum here.

Will probably join you through spacetime on this one.
    Just got home from visiting family. Drove back home to see a concert together and my ears are still ringing. That means it was good, right?
    Everyone please have peaceful zazen

Gassho,
    Nengyoku
    Sat
    Thank you for being the warmth in my world.

Will be participating one-way tonight, with special attention of my brother in mind, who passed when he was a child.

Gassho,
    Koushi
    STLaH
    理道弘志 | Ridō Koushi

Please take this novice priest-in-training's words with a grain of salt.

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Youtube and Zoom are ready to go.

Deep bows to all,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

What a beautiful and lovely Zazenkai!

The talk was deep and moving....Lovely and inspiring.

Thank you Jundo and everyone !

Deep bows
    Last edited by Anchi; 02-19-2022 at 04:04 PM.
    Life itself is the only teacher.
    一 Joko Beck

STLah
    安知 Anchi

Thank you everyone.

Gassho,
    Suuko.

Thank you, everyone. it was a lovely zazenkai, talk, and tea time.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Very nice to sit with you all this morning.

Gassho,
    Nengei
    Sat today.

Hi Jundo,

Do you have the interpretation of the following prayer in English?

Maka Hannya Haramita Shin Gyo

Gassho,
    Sat,
    Suuko.

Thanks everyone, great to see you all and to be back after missing a few weeks 'live' due to travel.

Gassho,
    ./sat
    N

Quote Originally Posted by Suuko View Post
    Hi Jundo,

Do you have the interpretation of the following prayer in English?

Maka Hannya Haramita Shin Gyo

Gassho,
    Sat,
    Suuko.

I would not say that it is a "prayer" (except in the sense that every word. every sound, every breath is a prayer")

That simply is the title of the Sutra ... The Great Heart of the Perfection of Wisdom Sutra ...

Gassho, J

STLah

Lovely ceremony. Thank you everyone. I sat with you this morning.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Thank you everyone! Great opportunity to remember some loved ones that pasted away
    Gassho, Kiri
    Sat/Lah
    希 rare
    理 principle
    (Nikolas)

A portion of Daughter's ashes rested on the altar. _()_

gassho
    ds sat and hopefully also lah
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Quote Originally Posted by Shōnin Risa Bear View Post
    A portion of Daughter's ashes rested on the altar. _()_

gassho
    ds sat and hopefully also lah
    You and Emily were on my mind and in my heart during the ceremony.

Sat Today
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Thank you everyone.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Lovely ceremony. Thank you all.

Gassho,
    Kaisui
    sat&lah

Beautiful ceremony! Thank you all!

Gassho
    Kokuu

Thank you, everyone. This was a beautiful ceremony.

Gassho

Nenka
    ST

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Lovely Zazenkai sat on demand. Thank you all for you practice.

sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Hi all!

In our effort to be as inclusive as possible, I will start posting transcriptions of each week's Zazenkai talk in that week's thread. Please let me know if you have any suggestions or feedback.

——

So we are all here right now because of everyone and everything that came before: without exception. You are alive right now, not only because of your parents and their parents, but ancestors stretching back to the great chemical bog that began all of life—and everything before that—to whatever was the source of it all.

And you're even here because no one, not a thing, not a creature, not a moment got in the way of whatever led to us being here. We could say we're here because it just all worked out. So part of our celebration today is to remember that.

We also remember the people closer at hand, closer in our lives. Those we love. Some who have apparently left this world—and I say apparently for a reason I'll explain in a second.

Of course they're not here now. We miss them. We love them. But our Buddhist way also says that things are not only the one way they appear. And while it is true that some have come and some have gone, there is something that never comes and never goes: because it never leaves, never was, anything but here. This is what we taste in our zazen.

You know I like the example of the ocean. I could use a garden or a forest. I could use many things to express this. But I like the ocean. We're waves that rise up for a time, cross a bit of distance, then eventually fade. The other people we love, the people all around us, everyone who came before: also waves. They came, they went. We can see ourselves as the sea: the sea has been, and will be, and is right now. And that is all the waves have ever been. The waving waters. The sea itself.

We Buddhists don't like to think of a thing, so I like to say it's more like a process. A great dance that's going on. A happening. Something's happening. That was our expression from last week: Something great is happening. And you are this happening and I am this happening and it's all happening. Everyone we loved was this happening.

And to the extent that this happening is still happening: they haven't gone anywhere. And yet, we miss them. It's hard to see that this happening that's happening is still them. But it is.

Sometimes they were difficult people in the past. We like to think that difficult people are victims, so we offer metta for them. Deep down they were suffering, that's why they did those things. So we take this opportunity to offer, as best we can, because it's so hard sometimes and some scars run deep... to offer some forgiveness.

And sometimes maybe we were responsible for someone's death. We could not avoid it. We made a choice, or there was an accident. I know someone who caused a car accident one time, someone died, and they carried that weight all of their life. We offer this chance to remember those times and say, "I wish It had not been so. I'm sorry."

We think that those who were born will come back again in some sense. You know, the waves fade but then the ocean rises again. Those waves are also the ocean. You are the ocean, they are the ocean, I am the ocean, it is the ocean. So those future lives are also what we are.

Today we sit remembering. Remembering saying thank you: to our parents, our siblings who may have left this world, wives and husbands, children. Some of them did not live long enough. But there's something about this ocean that's also beyond measure. It's not a matter of long or short. Short things are short, long times are long. And yet the ocean flows on. Let us remember them all: friends, even the little animals in our lives, all of it, all of them.

It's all happening: that's the happening. Let's remember when they happened—but know they're still happening. They're happening right now in our hearts. They're happening and everything in this world: the breeze, the sun rising in the morning, the cloud in the sky, is all their happening. Our happening. It's happening. And all this happening is expressed in our zazen.

Let's sit.

——

Gassho,
    Koushi
    STLaH
    理道弘志 | Ridō Koushi

Please take this novice priest-in-training's words with a grain of salt.

Thank you dear Sangha. May my loved ones and all loved ones who have been a part of this world continue in other wave-forms that bring them peace, joy and freedom. Dedicating this Zazenkai to my dear aunt who passed away 6 years ago from cancer, yet still lives on in our hearts and in other ways

Gassho, Tomás
    Sat&LaH