Thread: Airport Meditation Rooms

Airport Meditation Rooms

Hi everyone, I am currently in an airport and saw a sign for a meditation Center and went to check it out; there was a nice load of zafus and absolutely silent, was a rather nice experience, who knew!

So anyone flying via Amsterdam, worth a visit if you want to get some Zazen in while waiting around for a connection.

Oh, and, just to overload the thread — Glasses wearers of treeleaf, do you sit with glasses on or off?

Gassho,
    ./sat (in a rather tranquil airport)
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by houst0n View Post
    Oh, and, just to overload the thread — Glasses wearers of treeleaf, do you sit with glasses on or off?
    Thanks for the info, Neil.

Sitting with glasses on. Makes me more focused , less sleepy, less likely to drift away.
    Gassho,
    Kotei.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Hi everyone, I am currently in an airport and saw a sign for a meditation Center and went to check it out; there was a nice load of zafus and absolutely silent, was a rather nice experience, who knew!

So anyone flying via Amsterdam, worth a visit if you want to get some Zazen in while waiting around for a connection.

Gassho,
    ./sat (in a rather tranquil airport)
    Neil
    Theoretically, one should be able to sit Zazen on the runway too. However, airport security would not like that, and we do not wish to do anything dangerous.

Glasses on or glasses of. But can you sit with the clear vision which leaps through "on vs. off?"

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Glasses on or glasses of. But can you sit with the clear vision which leaps through "on vs. off?"

Gassho, J

STLah
    I’ve found with them off, it tends to be a bit more of a “relaxed” Zazen, and with them on, it’s more of a “focused Zazen”. Glasses on is better when I’m tired. I’ll just flip a coin and let the universe decide (I’ve been experimenting this week with completely outsourcing the countdown timer settings when I sit to my three year old, could do the same with the glasses!)

Gassho,
    Sat, Neil

I wear glasses on zazenkais, because I connect to the zoom from my phone. And so I can see others. On daily seatings without glasses, usually.

Gassho
    Wabo
    ST/LAH

Though I haven't used them San Francisco (SFO), Dallas, and Seattle airports have meditation rooms as well. Portland does not though they have a pretty cool little independent movie theater that wouldn't be a bad spot.
    Ironically neither Narita nor Haneda in Tokyo have anything like that, though the outdoor viewing decks are a good place to hang out and catch a view of Mt. Fuji if the weather cooperates.

Gassho,
    Chris
    sat

I’ve found with them off, it tends to be a bit more of a “relaxed” Zazen, and with them on, it’s more of a “focused Zazen”. Glasses on is better when I’m tired. I’ll just flip a coin and let the universe decide (I’ve been experimenting this week with completely outsourcing the countdown timer settings when I sit to my three year old, could do the same with the glasses!)

Gassho,
    Sat, Neil
    What leaps through relaxed times and focused times? What is both rested and tired? What coin can you flip that has no sides??

No need to experiment, for nothing to prove or deny. At this airport, there are no departures and no arrivals.

Gassho, J

That is awesome that they have that space at the airports! We have a meditation room at the library where I work. No zafus, just a nice quiet dedicated open space that is used more by our Muslim population for prayer than anything else -- happy we have it

Also, mostly a glasses on guy right here

Gassho

Bokugan
    SatToday
    Last edited by Bokugan; 02-06-2022 at 03:54 PM.
    墨眼 | Bokugan | Sumi Ink Eye
    Ryan-S | zazenlibrarian.com

Great! Hope to find one someday. I sit with glasses on. Only take them off to sleep and shower, otherwise they help my body remember that I am "awake".

Gassho, Tomás
    Sat

In my past job I travelled quite a bit but I don’t ever recall seeing a mediation room in an airport. I didn’t think to look either so maybe they were there. I have sat Zazen many times in airports though. It can be a wonderful calm in the hustle and bustle of people trying to get to and from their gates.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Airports are good places to practice even without dedicated meditation rooms, although to be able to sit on a zafu would be welcome. I take my glasses off for zazen and find it less distracting.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

I've only recently started wearing glasses full-time and sit with mine off. I'm short sighted so my awareness/view of the space in front of the wall isn't really affected and they distract me a bit when they're on. I put them back on to view the screen when sitting with zazenkai recordings and during rohatsu.

Gassho,
    Dan
    ST/LAH

I tend to sit with glasses on if on zoom so I can see the others when bowing in and out - and also when catching up with the weekly zazenkai. If not on zoom I tend to take them off as it is more comfortable without. I guess I could take them off after bowing.

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah

Glasses off most of the time. Sometimes I forget

Sat Today (with glasses off )
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Truly, glasses on or glasses off ... drop the glasses from mind.

Glasses dropped from mind ... on or off ... is true Clear Seeing.

Gassho, J

STLah