Thread: February 4th-5th, 2022 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI

February 4th-5th, 2022 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI

Today's Talk will reflect on
    Living Beings with the Vimalakirti Sutra

(text below in this thread)

... and we welcome a new computer and camera system in our Zendo,

THANK YOU to ALL OUR DONORS!

Please sit our Monthly 4-Hour Treeleaf Zazenkai netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 6pm to 10pm, Los Angeles 3pm to 7pm (Friday night), London 11pm to 3am and Paris midnight to 4am (early Saturday morning)), and also sitable any time thereafter:

However, "one way" live sitters are encouraged to come into the Zoom sitting, and just leave the camera and microphone turned off: Join live (with or without a camera & microphone) on Zoom at: TREELEAF Now OR at DIRECT ZOOM LINK, password (if needed): dogen

Dharma Talk Audio / Podcast Episode:
    TO BE HERE IN A FEW DAYS

The Sitting Schedule is as follows:

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA IN JAPANESE / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
    01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN & HOKEY-POKEY RITUAL

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
    03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING
    ATTENTION: Everyone, when rising for Kinhin or Ceremonies after Zazen, get up slowly, don't rush, hold something stable, you won't be "late," so TAKE YOUR TIME! Make sure you are careful getting up!

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

Chant Book is here for those who wish to join in: CHANT BOOK LINK

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093

I also recommend a little Talk on why small rituals and procedures are so cherished in the Zendo:

SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: Small Things in the Zendo

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...s-in-the-Zendo

Last edited by Sekishi; 02-04-2022 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Added youtube one-way video.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Dear Living Beings ... let us grove with Chapter 7 of the Vimalakirti Sutra ... REGARDING LIVING BEINGS ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At that time Manjushri asked Vimalakirti, "How does the bodhisattva regard living beings?"

Vimalakirti replied, "As a conjurer looks on the beings he conjures up-thus does the bodhisattva regard living beings. As the wise view the moon in the water, or a face or form seen in a mirror; as shimmers of heat in a torrid season, as the echo that follows a cry, as clouds in the sky, as foam on the water, bubbles on the water, as a thing no firmer that the trunk of the plantain, no longer lasting than a flash of lightning; as a fifth great element ... thus does the bodhisattva regard living beings.

.... Manjushri said, "If the bodhisattva looks on beings in this way, how can he treat them with compassion?"

Vimalakirti replied, "When the bodhisattva has finished regarding them in this way, he thinks to himself. 'For the sake of living beings I must preach this Law to them!' This is true compassion.

... He treats them with a compassion of tranquil extinction, for it results in no birth; treats them with a compassion unburning, for it is void of earthly desires; treats them with a compassion that is impartial, as the three existences of past, present, and future are impartial; treats them with a compassion free of contention, for nothing arises to oppose it; treats them with a compassion undualistic, for internal and external have no place in it ...

Vimalakirti: "If he hopes to rely on the power of the Tathagata's blessings, he should devote himself to saving and liberating all living beings."

Manjushri: "If he hopes to save living beings, what must he free them from?"

Vimalakirti: "If he hopes to save living beings, he must free them from earthly desires."

Manjushri: "If he hopes to free them from earthly desires, how should he proceed?"

Vimalakirti: "He should proceed by the method of correct mindfulness."

Manjushri: "How does one proceed by the method of correct mindfulness?"

Vimalakirti: "One proceeds on the premise of no birth and no extinction."

Manjushri: "What has no birth, and what has no extinction?" Vimalakirti: "The not good has no birth, the good has no extinction."

At that time there was a heavenly being, a goddess, in Vimalakirti's room who, seeing these great men and hearing them expound the Law, proceeded to make herself visible and, taking heavenly flowers, scattered them over the bodhisattvas and major disciples. When the flowers touched the bodhisattvas, they all fell to the floor at once, but when they touched the major disciples, they stuck to them and did not fall off. The disciples all tried to shake off the flowers through their supernatural powers, but they could not do so.

At that time the goddess said to Shariputra, "Why try to brush off the flowers?"

"Such flowers are not in accordance with the Law," he replied. "That's why I try to brush them off." [Because the wearing of flowers or other personal ornaments was forbidden to members of the Buddhist order.]

The goddess said, "Don't say these flowers are not in accordance with the Law. Why? Because the flowers make no such distinctions. You in your thinking have made up these distinctions, that's all. If one who has left the household life to follow the Buddha's Law makes such distinctions, that is not in accordance with the Law. One must be without distinctions to be in accordance with the Law Look at the bodhisattvas-the flowers do not stick to them because they have already cut off all thought of distinctions. Just as evil spirits are able to take advantage of a person who is beset by fear, so because you disciples are fearful of the cycle of birth and death, the senses of form, sound, smell, taste, and touch are able to take advantage of you. But once a person has done away with fear, then the five desires that arise from these senses will not be able to get at him. So long as one has not done away with all such entanglements, the flowers will stick to him. But they will not stick to someone who has eliminated them all."

Shariputra said, "Why don't you change out of this female body?"4

The goddess replied, " ... What is there to change? If a sorcerer were to conjure up a phantom woman and then someone asked her why she didn't change out of her female body, would that be any kind of reasonable question?"

... At that time the goddess employed her supernatural powers to change Shariputra into a goddess like herself, while she took on Shariputra's form. Then she asked, "Why don't you change out of this female body?"

Shariputra, now in the form of a goddess, replied, "I don't know why I have suddenly changed and taken on a female body! " The goddess said, "Shariputra, if you can change out of this female body, then all women can change likewise. Shariputra, who is not a woman, appears in a woman's body. And the same is true of all women-though they appear in women's bodies, they are not women. Therefore the Buddha teaches that all phenomena are neither male nor female."

Then the goddess withdrew her supernatural powers, and Shariputra returned to his original form. The goddess said to Shariputra, "Where now is the form and shape of your female body?"

Shariputra said, "The form and shape of my female body does not exist, yet does not not exist."

The goddess said, "All things are just like that-they do not exist, yet do not not exist. And that they do not exist, yet do not not exist, is exactly what the Buddha teaches."
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-04-2022 at 04:33 AM.

For a little change, let us celebrate CHINESE NEW YEAR today ... HAPPY 4720 EVERYONE!! ...

Last edited by Jundo; 02-04-2022 at 10:13 PM.

Hi All

Last week was my first Zazenkai and it was a little difficult to be honest (although I think it was mainly down to sitting posture, so I'm going to sit seiza). I have not done a 4-hour one yet though, so wondering if anyone has any advice?

Gassho
    Ross
    STLAH
    Last edited by Huichan; 02-04-2022 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Hi All

Last week was my first Zazenkai and it was a little difficult to be honest (although I think it was mainly down to sitting posture, so I'm going to sit seiza). I have not done a 4-hour one yet though, so wondering if anyone has any advice?

Gassho
    Ross
    STLAH
    Thinking of it as 4 hours may be a little overwhelming, especially when you are new to Zazen (although every moment is a moment to be new to everything).
    Instead, just take it moment by moment. It isn't four hours, it is just right now.

If you begin to experience pain please reposition yourself, no one will mind.

Gassho,
    Nengyoku
    Sat
    Thank you for being the warmth in my world.

Hi All

Gassho
    Ross
    STLAH
    Acceptance and resistance are greatly between your ears. 4 hours is not much when it comes to sleeping or a cricket match, yet seems forever just to sit.

That said, break it up, sit a bit, come and go early and leave late. All fine. However, know that this is not painful, not torture (if the legs really hurt, switch them around) ...

... but most of that resistance is all between your ears.

Gassho, J

Hi All

Gassho
    Ross
    STLAH
    Don’t stress over it. If you’d like to attend, just come and do one segment at a time. If you get to the point where you feel it’s too much, you bow out. The monthly sounds ominous, but it is very enjoyable. We sit normally, have long kinhins where you can rest or stretch, take a break, we stop for a long talk, we dance a bit… If anything, it’s just fun and an amazing way to be with the sangha! If you come, I’ll be there to give encouragement and moral support

Sorry for running long!!

Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Quote Originally Posted by Bion View Post
    If you come, I’ll be there to give encouragement and moral support
    This.

Every single person who is at that Zazenkai through all of space and time is there manifesting dharma for you.
    If you ever feel overwhelmed, I'm sure one of us can take some of the load.

Gassho,
    Nengyoku
    Sat

Hi All

Gassho
    Ross
    STLAH
    Hi Ross,

Long sits can be physically tough for me, too. I usually have to switch it up, even for the shorter zazenkai--do the first 30 minutes seated on the floor and the second 30 minutes in a chair, or take a little bit longer in kinhin sometimes. Tonight I'll probably alternate between the floor and the chair. Thankfully, no one has yelled at me yet

Showan
    Sat today/lent a hand
    おつかれさまです

Quote Originally Posted by Showan View Post
    Hi Ross,

Long sits can be physically tough for me, too. I usually have to switch it up, even for the shorter zazenkai--do the first 30 minutes seated on the floor and the second 30 minutes in a chair, or take a little bit longer in kinhin sometimes. Tonight I'll probably alternate between the floor and the chair. Thankfully, no one has yelled at me yet

Showan
    Sat today/lent a hand
    If you’re searching for that experience, I’d be happy to yell at you!

Sat Today lah
    Bion
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Quote Originally Posted by Nengyoku View Post
    Thinking of it as 4 hours may be a little overwhelming, especially when you are new to Zazen (although every moment is a moment to be new to everything).
    Instead, just take it moment by moment. It isn't four hours, it is just right now.

If you begin to experience pain please reposition yourself, no one will mind.

Gassho,
    Nengyoku
    Sat
    This is great advice! I plan to attend for the first time tonight; looking forward to sitting with everyone

Gassho,
    William
    Sat

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Zoom and YouTube are ready to go! See you all soon.

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat #lah
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

I will be sitting Zazenkai tonight, but will be starting it late, so one-way from the recording.

Gassho,
    然芸 Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.

Quote Originally Posted by Showan View Post
    Hi Ross,

Showan
    Sat today/lent a hand
    That's is great if the body needs so! Recline too if you need.

Hey, we have a couple of members who even recline the Hokey-Pokey!

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Quote Originally Posted by Mrcpt11 View Post
    This is great advice! I plan to attend for the first time tonight; looking forward to sitting with everyone

Gassho,
    William
    Sat
    Awesome! See you in a bit! Bring your dancing shoes as well (although, no shoes or socks in zendo .. shhhhh )

Sat Today lah
    Bion

Apologies, have had to leave the zazenkai early. Will catch the 2nd half when I have time.

Gassho
    Ross
    ST

This was lovely...but had to leave half way to the (endless)end...
    Had to go and help my wife with our little rascal-kids..hehehe.
    Sorry because it is always beautiful for me to share the practice with you!
    Maybe when the kids will be a little more older I will be able to sit monthly zazenkais without interruption...
    Anyways...I'll catch up with you again later or tomorrow on demand!

Gassho.
    Hokin.
    SAT&LAH
    法 金
    (Dharma)(Metal)
    Wisdom Is Compassion & Compassion Is Wisdom.

Thank you dear Sangha! Have a wonderful weekend.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you, everyone. Happy Lunar New Year and have a great weekend!

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

It is always wonderful to come together and sit.
    Thank you to everyone who was here tonight, or who will be here in the future.

Gassho,
    Nengyoku
    Sat

Thank you Sangha, it was great to see everyone for the first time!

Gassho,
    William
    Sattoday

Quote Originally Posted by Mrcpt11 View Post
    Thank you Sangha, it was great to see everyone for the first time!

Gassho,
    William
    Sattoday
    Big props to William here for doing all four hours live on his first Zazenkai!
    Time is meaningless and yada-yada, but wow man! :P

As an aside, I wanted to thank Hokin for always doing floor prostrations. I love doing them, but I definitely feel out of place when I'm the only one, so thank you for always leading the charge.
    Pretty sure everyone did floor prostrations this week though, and I felt a little bad for William because he was just following our lead

What a blast everyone. Thanks again.

Gassho,
    Nengyoku
    Sat

I wanted to thank Hokin for always doing floor prostrations. I love doing them, but I definitely feel out of place when I'm the only one, so thank you for always leading the charge.
    One of the things I have always loved about Treeleaf is that during any zazenkai you get to see a myriad of ways of form and practice: Some have to lay down, some sit in chairs or on benches. Some can do deep bows and prostrations and some give the best gassho they can. We do what we can, and it's wonderful to see such inclusivity.

Thank you for your practice and prostrations—and thank you everyone for coming together once again.

It was lovely, as always

Gassho,
    Koushi
    STLaH
    理道弘志 | Ridō Koushi

Please take this novice priest-in-training's words with a grain of salt.

Really, what did they do with "water" ???

And in other oldie, kinda more or less goldie ...

And, of course, the song which American composer Percy Montross apparently stole from an ancient Chinese dance, why is no mention of that fact made in the Wikipedia listing????

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oh_My_Darling,_Clementine

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 02-05-2022 at 05:13 AM.

What a beautiful and lovely Zazenkai!

Wonderful and inspiring.... Great talk.

Thank you Jundo and everyone ... Lovely way to end the week.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Deep bows
    Life itself is the only teacher.
    一 Joko Beck

STLah
    安知 Anchi

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post

And in other oldie, kinda more or less goldie ...

And, of course, the song which American composer Percy Montross apparently stole from an ancient Chinese dance, why is no mention of that fact made in the Wikipedia listing????

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oh_My_Darling,_Clementine

Gassho, J

STLah
    Oh, you did not give me a chance to post them and I looked them up and everything! I just needed sleep first

Sat Today
    Bion

Thank you everyone. I sat with you this morning.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Wonderful to sit with all of you. Jundo's point about dealing with discomfort during Zazen was especially fitting since I found this particular sitting to be difficult. Either way, we made it!

Gassho,

Chukyo

ST

Nice to sit another wonderful Zazenkai with you all yesterday!

I normally cannot make the monthly zazenkais in person, but the snow and ice forced my workplace to stay closed all day (grownup snow day!!! )

Happy to hear the Zendo has a new computer much needed upgrade.

Gassho,

Bokugan
    SatToday LaH
    Last edited by Bokugan; 02-06-2022 at 10:51 PM. Reason: TapaTalk messed with the post a bit ;)
    墨眼 | Bokugan | Sumi Ink Eye
    Ryan-S | zazenlibrarian.com

The new cam seems to handle the low-light corners a lot better.
    Thank you everyone!

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Managed to join the 2nd half of the Zazenkai on the recording this afternoon but hope I can through a whole one uninterrupted next month. My wife has been ill recently and went to check on her during kinhin yesterday and she wasn't well, so ended up going to hospital but she seems OK now and is back home

Just thought I'd add some more Earth, Wind and Fire to the thread as well

Gassho
    Ross
    STLAH

Quote Originally Posted by Kotei View Post
    The new cam seems to handle the low-light corners a lot better.
    Thank you everyone!

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.
    It’s still not set up completely, so that’s a work in progress! But, wheeew! What a change!

Sat today
    Bion

Managed to join the 2nd half of the Zazenkai on the recording this afternoon but hope I can through a whole one uninterrupted next month. My wife has been ill recently and went to check on her during kinhin yesterday and she wasn't well, so ended up going to hospital but she seems OK now and is back home

Just thought I'd add some more Earth, Wind and Fire to the thread as well

Gassho
    Ross
    STLAH
    Your Zazenkai, very powerful one, was in hospital with your wife.

We will dedicate today, that she feels better, Ross. Get some rest.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

The "Water" member did what "Water" does....went away with the flow of its own flow!

Gassho.
    Hokin.
    SAT.
    法 金
    (Dharma)(Metal)

As an aside, I wanted to thank Hokin for always doing floor prostrations.

Gassho.
    Hokin.
    SAT.
    法 金
    (Dharma)(Metal)

Wiki Roshi provides some clues ...

Maurice's astrological sign, Sagittarius, has a primary elemental quality of fire and seasonal qualities of earth and air, according to classical triplicities. Sagittarius in the northern hemisphere occurs in the autumn, whose element is earth, and in the southern hemisphere, it is spring, whose element is air. Hence the omission of Water, the fourth classical element. Based on this, he changed the band's name, to "Earth, Wind & Fire".
    Makes sense to me.

"To save all sentient beings though beings numberless..." Thank you!
    Gassho
    sat/lah
    Last edited by Tai Shi; 02-07-2022 at 03:28 PM.
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Jundo, you mentioned about a podcast you did, I think the podcast of the future or something. Do you have a link for it?

Gassho,
    Sat,
    Suuko.

Sent from my M2101K7BNY using Tapatalk
    Has been known as Guish since 2017 on the forum here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suuko View Post
    Jundo, you mentioned about a podcast you did, I think the podcast of the future or something. Do you have a link for it?

Gassho,
    Sat,
    Suuko.

I record it next week. I had better be at the top of my game as they typically have some very smart people on there. You can see the kinds of guests that they usually ask to appear ...

https://www.singularityweblog.com/ca...dcasts/page/5/

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 02-08-2022 at 11:17 PM.

I record it next week. I had better be at the top of my game as they typically have some very smart people on there. You can see the kinds of guests that they usually ask to appear ...

Gassho, J

STLah
    You fit right in

Sat Today
    Bion

Gassho, J

STLah
    That's cool. I remember Joshua Bach from Lex Friedman's podcast. He's another cool fellow. What will be the topic of your podcast?

Gassho,
    Sat,
    Suuko.

Quote Originally Posted by Suuko View Post
    That's cool. I remember Joshua Bach from Lex Friedman's podcast. He's another cool fellow. What will be the topic of your podcast?
    My new book manuscript ...

BUILDING the FUTURE BUDDHA: The Kōan of Robots, Genes, Saving the World and Travel to the Stars

Almost all of books on Buddhism look to Buddhism in the past, events 500 or 2500 years ago. Some focus on "being in the present." My book looks to the ZEN of the FUTURE, Zen and Buddhism 500 or 2500 years in the future, what Buddhism will become (and how Buddhism might help create) our impending future of automation, genetic engineering, the merging of human and machine, virtual reality, extended life spans, nanotechnology and other technological changes and challenges that are just around the corner.

My new book manuscript ...

That's awesome. I think the following will interest you. It's how AI is helping people by becoming their friends.

Having trained one, I can tell that the AI mirrors yourself in a way and ends up having its own personality too. Looking forward to reading your book.

Gassho,
    Sat,
    Suuko.

Thank you all. Lovely to sit with you!

Gassho
    Kokuu

Life itself is the only teacher.
    一 Joko Beck

STLah
    安知 Anchi

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    For some reason I neglected to post my sitting.
    A belated thank you to all.

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart