Thread: January 28th-29th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - Metal Heart

January 28th-29th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - Metal Heart

Our Heart Sutra today will be a bit Hardcore ...

... BE CAREFUL WITH SPEAKERS AND HEADPHONES!

Dear All,

Please sit our Treeleaf Zazenkai for 90 minutes with Zazen, Heart Sutra and more:

10am Japan Saturday morning, NY 8pm, LA 5pm Friday night, London 1am and Paris 2am Saturday morning, or any time thereafter here:

However, "one way" live sitters are encouraged to come into the Zoom sitting, and just leave the camera and microphone turned off: Join live (with or without a camera & microphone) on Zoom at: TREELEAF Now OR at DIRECT ZOOM LINK, password (if needed): dogen

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 VERSE OF ATONEMENT & FOUR VOWS
    01:30 - 01:45(?) Informal Tea Time (All Welcome)

ATTENTION: Everyone, when rising for Kinhin or Ceremonies after Zazen, get up slowly, don't rush, hold something stable, you won't be "late," so TAKE YOUR TIME! Make sure you are careful getting up!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLah

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

Chant Book is here for those who wish to join in: CHANT BOOK LINK

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093

I also recommend a little Talk on why small rituals and procedures are so cherished in the Zendo:

SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: Small Things in the Zendo

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...s-in-the-Zendo
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-29-2022 at 02:53 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Today's Heart Sutra is inspired by a Buddhist Death Metal band, very popular in Taiwan ...

More about the band, called "Dharma" 達摩 ...

https://www.buddhistdoor.net/feature...th-metal-band/

I thought we might use their version of the Heart Sutra for today's ceremony, but I cannot find that they have published one.

So, we will substitute this hardcore version in Japanese ... BE CAREFUL with your SPEAKERS & HEADPHONES!

Frankly, I would have a hard time to tell the difference between "hardcore" and "death metal" (so would really appreciate someone to enlighten me on that)

The Kanji shown in the last seconds of the video say ... GASSHO! 合掌

Note to TechnoIno Sekishi ... Chant starts from 20 seconds in.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-28-2022 at 11:21 AM.

Death metal has themes revolving around death and has different growls in the way they sing. The riffs are very speedy as well. I am more of a thrash metal kind of metalhead. I feel relieved that I am not the only Buddhist with a metal edge.

Gassho,
    Sat,
    Suuko.

Sent from my M2101K7BNY using Tapatalk
    Has been known as Guish since 2017 on the forum here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suuko View Post
    Death metal has themes revolving around death and has different growls in the way they sing. The riffs are very speedy as well. I am more of a thrash metal kind of metalhead. I feel relieved that I am not the only Buddhist with a metal edge.

Gassho,
    Sat,
    Suuko.

Okay, so what is the difference between thrash metal and hardcore ...

(I am more a prog-rock kinda guy, frankly )

Gassho, J

STLah

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Today's Heart Sutra is inspired by a Buddhist Death Metal band, very popular in Taiwan ...

More about the band, called "Dharma" 達摩 ...

https://www.buddhistdoor.net/feature...th-metal-band/

I thought we might use their version of the Heart Sutra for today's ceremony, but I cannot find that they have published one.

So, we will substitute this hardcore version in Japanese ... BE CAREFUL with your SPEAKERS & HEADPHONES!

Frankly, I would have a hard time to tell the difference between "hardcore" and "death metal" (so would really appreciate someone to enlighten me on that)

Note to TechnoIno Sekishi ... Chant starts from 20 seconds in.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Oh my.. that is, uhm… loud.

Sat Today
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Okay, so what is the difference between thrash metal and hardcore ...

(I am more a prog-rock kinda guy, frankly )

Gassho, J

STLah
    Hardcore metal doesn't really exist. Everything falls under the umbrella of Heavy metal. Here is a link with the different genres.

https://www.liveabout.com/what-is-heavy-metal-1756179

A good example of thrash metal I listen is here

Metal was what really made me see things the way they are before Zazen came into the picture.

Gassho,
    Sat today,
    Suuko.

And then, you have metal robots playing heavy metal

Hardcore metal doesn't really exist. Everything falls under the umbrella of Heavy metal. Here is a link with the different genres.

Okay, maybe this is me ...

Progressive Metal
    A mixture of heavy metal and progressive rock, this genre utilizes many of the characteristics of avant-garde and power metal. The song structures are complex, using many time signatures and key changes and are usually long. The lyrics are epic and often progressive metal albums are concept albums, utilizing a central theme that runs throughout.
    Examples: Dream Theater, Evergrey, Fates Warning, Queensryche

Avant-Garde Metal
    Also called experimental metal, it's characterized by unusual and nontraditional instruments and song structures.
    Examples: Arcturus, Dog Fashion Disco, Mr. Bungle, Peccatum, Vintersorg

(looking closely, some of those seem a bit violent and I don't care for the political/dark messaging ... so NOT THOSE! )

I was known to do a stage dive or two at Blackflag and Meat Puppet concerts back in the day ... and I once partied a bit with Henry Rollins ...
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-28-2022 at 11:47 AM.

I was known to do a stage dive or two at Blackflag and Meat Puppet concerts back in the day ... and I once partied a bit with Henry Rollins ...
    Ok, your cool factor just went way up.

This will be fun! I have often thought the only thing lacking/notlacking in Buddhism is good music. I like many genres of music, including metal, though I don’t listen to stuff like Slayer much anymore. I kind of like the dark, angry stuff (RATM, anyone?). But I am way too old for pits and slam dancing now. Apologize for extra wordiness.
    Gassho,
    Naiko
    st

A good example of thrash metal I listen is here

Metal was what really made me see things the way they are before Zazen came into the picture.

Gassho,
    Sat today,
    Suuko.
    ^ This. Hardcore is a punk genre rather than a metal genre. Death metal is an evolution of thrash metal that borrowed elements of hardcore and post-hardcore punk and mixed it with thrash metal.
    Because of this, hardcore music sometimes gets lumped into metal.

Also, great songs here

Gassho,
    Nengyoku
    Sat
    Thank you for being the warmth in my world.

For another take on Metal Heart, enjoy the song by Cat Power. Cat Power is the stage name of Chan Marshall. Chan!

Gassho,
    Juki

sat today and lah
    "First you have to give up." Tyler Durden

Quote Originally Posted by Nengyoku View Post
    ^ This. Hardcore is a punk genre rather than a metal genre. Death metal is an evolution of thrash metal that borrowed elements of hardcore and post-hardcore punk and mixed it with thrash metal.

Also, great songs here

Gassho,
    Nengyoku
    Sat
    I see. When I googled it, I saw hardcore rap and other things. As a purist, I stopped reading. For me, the rage behind the music has to be intelligent and justified.

Oops, are we still at treeleaf? I hope Jundo lets us headbang on Sat.

Gassho,
    Sat,
    Suuko.

I do like the revolutionary, proletarian, yet cute, message of Ladybaby ...

Gassho, J

STLah

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    DC Hardcore straight edge kid checking in. I agree.

Today there is a whole umbrella of electronic genres called "hardcore" which sort of evolved from gabber. Once it hits a really high BPM it splits out into "terrorcore", "splittercore" and a bunch of other things.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Youtube and Zoom ready to go. At the last minute... Yikes. XD

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Thanks everyone, \m/

Sleep well, Gassho, N

Even Lion's Roar is getting into it: https://www.lionsroar.com/heavy-dhar...-shaped-metal/

Showan
    Sat today
    Lent a hand
    おつかれさまです

Sorry guys, the Zendo computer crashed big time at the end of Zazen. I guess that it did not like my guitar either.

The good news is that we are getting a spanking brand new computer for the Zendo in the next week or two.

Gassho, Jundo Hendrix

STLah

Sorry guys, the Zendo computer crashed big time at the end of Zazen. I guess that it did not like my guitar either.

The good news is that we are getting a spanking brand new computer for the Zendo in the next week or two.

Gassho, Jundo Hendrix

STLah
    Deep bows to PC-sama who did his best until the very end of the ceremony!

Sat Today
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Blasting metal at 5 in the morning was something today. I will watch today's zazenkai again. Thanks everyone.

Gassho,
    Sat,
    Suuko.

Wonderful to sit with you guys as always. Keep on rockin'!

Gassho,
    Nengyoku
    Sat

Gassho, Jundo Hendrix

STLah
    Perfect opportunity for some metal funeral music for the PC, then?

Lovely seeing everyone, thank you for coming together each week.

Gassho,
    Koushi
    STLaH
    理道弘志 | Ridō Koushi

Please take this novice priest-in-training's words with a grain of salt.

Thank you everyone. Jundo, your "G chord" reminded me of the intro to the Rolling Stones "Street Fighting Man." Have a great weekend, all.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Jundo, I shall make it a mission to get you, and maybe your daughter? into the extremely talented current generation of young Japanese women making metal/rock. I think our kids could be the next gen to take the Tokyo scene.

Thanks to everyone for your company in my first ever weekly Zazen. Was always expecting it to be difficult for me as I've not much experience in sitting, so hope to keep on attending and developing my practice. Understand today's ceremony was a bit different, but maybe we can have the heart sutra in other genres in the future, if we step away from the more traditional chant

Gassho,
    Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Thanks to everyone for your company in my first ever weekly Zazen. Was always expecting it to be difficult for me as I've not much experience in sitting, so hope to keep on attending and developing my practice. Understand today's ceremony was a bit different, but maybe we can have the heart sutra in other genres in the future, if we step away from the more traditional chant

Gassho,
    Ross
    Haha. Yes, today was very different. We hope it didn't scare you.

Gassho,
    Sat,
    Suuko.

Quote Originally Posted by kurisu View Post
    Jundo, I shall make it a mission to get you, and maybe your daughter? into the extremely talented current generation of young Japanese women making metal/rock. I think our kids could be the next gen to take the Tokyo scene.
    Clean vocals and good music. I like it.

Gassho,
    Suuko.

Blasting metal at 5 in the morning was something today. I will watch today's zazenkai again. Thanks everyone.
    I hope that we did not wake the neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by Koushi View Post
    Perfect opportunity for some metal funeral music for the PC, then?
    Please expect a proper funeral for dear old Zendo computer, and some of the other tech that has kept us going here, but now gone to the great Computer Store Beyond ... the ComPUREter LAND ...

Gassho, J

STLah

It was wonderful to share this headbanging Zazenkai with all of you. I kinda wish I still had my long hair from my earlier days so I could jam properly!

Gassho,

Shade

ST

Please expect a proper funeral for dear old Zendo computer, and some of the other tech that has kept us going here, but now gone to the great Computer Store Beyond ... the ComPUREter LAND ...

Gassho, J

STLah
    Can I recommend looking for non-profits in your area that recover old computing equipment? There are several charities who take old machines as donations and then disassemble them for any salvageable parts before reassembling them to donate to lower income families who cannot afford such luxuries. Checking around your province would be a good way to allow your old PC to continue to accrue good merit in its next lifetime.
    (Just be sure to wipe or remove any old hard drives first, of course)

Gassho,
    Nengyoku
    Sat

Lovely Zazenkai !

Thank you for the great talk.

Thank you everyone.

Gassho
    Life itself is the only teacher.
    一 Joko Beck

STLah
    安知 Anchi

Can I recommend looking for non-profits in your area that recover old computing equipment? There are several charities who take old machines as donations and then disassemble them for any salvageable parts before reassembling them to donate to lower income families who cannot afford such luxuries. Checking around your province would be a good way to allow your old PC to continue to accrue good merit in its next lifetime.
    (Just be sure to wipe or remove any old hard drives first, of course)

Gassho,
    Nengyoku
    Sat
    In Japan, most tend to end up in a landfill.

I will check, but Japan is not particularly a place for anything but the latest models. Even lower income folks tend to spend on their phones and such.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

I hope that we did not wake the neighbors.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Not at all, Sensei. I live in the middle of sugarcane fields and my garage is on the first floor. I should send pictures.

Gassho,
    Sat,
    Suuko.

I was not expecting to wake up to a discussion on the merits of metal/hardcore and for Jundo to reveal he has stage dived at a Black Flag gig and partied with Henry Rollins!

I started sitting this zazenkai this morning, thank you everyone.

Gassho

Heiso

StLah

Sent from my RMX2001 using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone, and thank you Jundo for this teaching!
    Gassho, Kiri
    Sat/Lah
    希 rare
    理 principle
    (Nikolas)

Thank you everyone. I sat with you this morning. This week’s Heart Sutra was interesting and I appreciated the lesson it taught

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Thank you, everyone... that was definitely one for the books!

Indeed, Jundo, your 'cool' factor went up in my mind! I have a lot of respect for Henry Rollins. Always seemed like a good fellow, and his spoken word is amazing.

Gassho,

SatToday LaH
    Bokugan

Ryan-S
    Bokugan 墨眼

"Moment after moment, everyone comes out of nothingness. This is the true joy of life." -Shunryu Suzuki _/|\_
    墨眼 | Bokugan | Sumi Ink Eye
    Ryan-S | zazenlibrarian.com

Thank you everyone, sat with you all today. I am grateful for the setup of this Sangha that we all have the opportunity to sit at different times, as I am not able to attend these live lately due to some other commitments.

And the music... yeah that genre is not for me, but good to be reminded that the Dharma has different aspects and I should not always expect the same

Gassho,
    Kaisui
    (coriander)
    sat/lah

Thank you everyone!
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Being at little bit older than Jundo I grew up in the same era of music and what is now labelled Classic Rock. I also like what became Heavy Metal with the origins of Black Sabbath, then Iron Maiden etc. I have an eclectic taste but like my rock hard. Where I draw the line is indecipherable lyrics. When the metal genres moved into incoherent screaming and guttural growling I drew the line. They could be singing about eternal love, eternal flame or eternal damnation but when it sounds like a wall of venomous noise I'm out of here !

Actually reminds me of the precepts. Right thoughts, right words, right action. I could say to you in a soft, genuine manner "How are you today?" or I could scream that in your face, with hate and disdain. All about the delivery ! A lot the music in these more extreme forms of metal is actually ok but regardless of the lyrical content, its the vocal delivery that screws it all up.

Its not what you say, its how you say it.

Thank you everyone, an interesting talk.

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Seishin,

Yes Classic Rock is my roots too. I am sort of stuck in that era. You articulated my thoughts better than I could. As we discussed a couple years ago I found The Hu a good listen. Don’t remember if I understood the words at the concert but it was fun.

Doshin
    St

Quote Originally Posted by Seishin View Post
    Being at little bit older than Jundo I grew up in the same era of music and what is now labelled Classic Rock.
    You are only 3 years older than me.

Gassho, J

STLah

I think we've all overlooked that heavy metal is a core part of our tradition! Manjushri was clearly a metalhead, I mean, there are ways and ways to hold the sword of wisdom, and one of them is frequently found at metal gigs

https://imgur.com/a/lbgGkwF

\m/
    neil
    gassho,
    ./sat

Quote Originally Posted by houst0n View Post
    I think we've all overlooked that heavy metal is a core part of our tradition! Manjushri was clearly a metalhead, I mean, there are ways and ways to hold the sword of wisdom, and one of them is frequently found at metal gigs

https://imgur.com/a/lbgGkwF

\m/
    neil
    gassho,
    ./sat
    You made me die of laughter, man. You have a good point. I looked at the picture.

Gassho,
    Sat,
    Suuko

Thank you, Jundo, everyone!

If there was a Buddhist Rock Radio station, Tina Turner and Herbie Hancock could certainly feature as I believe that both practice in the Nichiren/Soka Gakkai tradition.

British singer songwriter Beth Orton was a Buddhist nun at some point, and old hippy Donovan sung about the mountains being mountains, then not being mountains, and finally mountains again, inspired by the ninth century Ch'an monk, Qingyuan Weixin:

Before I had studied Ch’an for thirty years, I saw mountains as mountains, and rivers as rivers. When I arrived at a more intimate knowledge, I came to the point where I saw that mountains are not mountains, and rivers are not rivers. But now that I have got its very substance, I am at rest. For it’s just that I see mountains once again as mountains, and rivers once again as rivers.”

And if we have the band Nirvana, we also have Samsara in this track by dub collective Vibronics (and hold onto your bass amp!):

Gassho
    Kokuu
    Last edited by Kokuu; 02-03-2022 at 03:03 PM.