Thread: ARTS: 2022 Winter Painting & Drawing Theme: Breathing in, I am inspired.

ARTS: 2022 Winter Painting & Drawing Theme: Breathing in, I am inspired.

Sometimes it is hard to find the inspiration to be creative. Sometimes I have had to force myself to work, even on paintings I have really wanted to do. And frankly, I am in one of those slumps right now. But still I chop wood and carry water.

POST YOUR ART.POST YOUR ART.POST YOUR ART. Show me something you are inspired to create during these cold winter months.

What inspires you? What makes you want to get up and face the day, however it is that you fill it? Do you have certain things you can turn to that get you moving? For me it is my students, and the work of other artists. I like seeing the creative work of all artists, at every level, and in every medium (well, most... I've seen stuff done with some things that maybe shouldn't be used to make art). Not everyone thinks of themselves as an artist, but here's a secret: everyone can make art! And I'd love it if you would share even your smallest creative efforts here, from whatever inspires you. Some of what is regarded as the most profound art is extremely simple in style and execution (search for the paintings of Mark Rothko or Lee Krasner, for example).

This is a safe space for artistic expression. We've all been beginners, or even experienced at something we think we are not so good at. You are better than you think. There are no comments of judgment, critique, or advice allowed here--only support and enjoyment.

One of the places I go to for inspiration is the work of artists whose work I enjoy. For example, I love the work of Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio (not the Sistine Chapel guy), who lived over the turn of the 17th century. Caravaggio is known for his development of chiaroscuro, which is strong contrasts between dark and light. Like most of the work of those days, most of his oeuvre is religious in some regard. In the past couple of months, one of the paintings on my easel has been this master copy of a painting he did called St Catherine of Alexandria. It isn't his most well-known painting, but I love the strong composition and the story it tells. The original is almost six feet tall! And is found at the Museo Nacional Thyssen-Bornemisza in Madrid. I saw the painting in person a few years ago, and found it greatly inspiring, and knew that I would make a copy of it one day.

My copy is smaller, only 20x24 inches. It is painted with oils on stretched Belgian linen. It represents about 120 hours of working time plus stretching the canvas and framing.

Please reach for a brush, or a pencil, or a stick of charcoal, or some clay... put your creative self to work and show us your inspiration.

Gassho,
    然芸 Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-27-2022 at 04:46 AM.