Thread: The 37th of 108 Gates Of Dharma Illumination

The 37th of 108 Gates Of Dharma Illumination

Gate Thirty-seven
    Read the following, place it in your heart and sleep on it. Then, tomorrow, live it until evening when you can leave a brief comment on what you may have received during the process.

Belief and understanding are a gate of Dharma illumination; for [with them] we decisively comprehend the paramount [truth].

By “Dharma Gate”, We mean a teaching or practice that can lead to spiritual growth: some kind of positive outcome in terms of our practice. A way to approach the truth.

Koan: "Probably the highest rewards of Buddhism are experienced through a fundamental and radical shift in the way you understand the world and your place in it. Among different forms of Buddhism, this shift in understanding has been called different things, including awakening, enlightenment, satori, or kensho (a Japanese term which means “seeing one’s true nature”). For those of us no longer beginners to Buddhist practice, the concept of awakening raises a troubling and dualistic question: Do we know the essential truth yet, or not? If you really want to awaken, the whole process of longing and struggling to realize the essential truth for yourself can be filled with frustration, confusion, and anguish. What is this fundamental awakening experienced by the Buddha, and by subsequent generations of practitioners? Of course, there isn’t just one awakening. Or, that is, there isn’t only one truth to awaken to. We benefit from insights into the nature of dukkha, or suffering; into impermanence, and into our own karmic entanglements. However, there is a pivotal and essential shift in perspective at some point in a person’s practice. Before that shift, we don’t really get it. After that critical shift in perspective, it’s as if we’ve woken up. Putting words to the fundamental awakening in Buddhism is extremely difficult. Right Understanding itself is beyond words, so any words we choose to describe it are like – as the well-worn adage goes – just fingers pointing at the moon, where the moon is reality itself. Although the Buddha spent many years in full-time, hard-core spiritual striving, he didn’t find the answers he was seeking until he directly perceived how suffering was created and perpetuated by the particular kinds of views we hold about ourselves and the world. His perspective radically shifted such that he was completely liberated from suffering and from the cycle of its perpetuation. It’s impossible to adequately summarize Right View in few words, but essentially it means you are freed from delusions that drive you to create suffering.
    - Domyo Burke's ZEN STUDIES PODCAST101

Most note worthy replies :
    That which is, which I know is there
    I can't know for sure, and that's not fair
    But I can sit on a mat
    Toward a wall in my flat

Belief and intellectual understanding help to frame our practice and keep us on the right path so that we can know truth through direct experience. Two sides of the coin, as it were...

Trust in the teachings
    Maintain belief
    But keep on sitting

合掌 仁道 生開 - gassho, Jindo Shokai
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Thank you for being the warmth in my world.

Life itself is the only teacher.
    一 Joko Beck

STLah
    安知 Anchi

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

Be sure to check this thread out.

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Shokai View Post
    Be sure to check this thread out.

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    i do, Shokai, i do..

aprapti

sat (this morning with the sangha of Plum Village)

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

Through logic and reasoning I can believe what I understand,
    But in sitting Zazen I can understand what I could never believe.

Gassho,
    Nengyoku
    Sat
    Thank you for being the warmth in my world.

Juki
    "First you have to give up." Tyler Durden

When the ego mind stops playing intermediary, the delusion suffers. Belief precedes understanding?

Tobiishi stlah
    It occurs to me that my attachment to this body is entirely arbitrary. All the evidence is subjective.

Thank you Shokai

Tairin
    Sat today and lah