Thread: Ecodharma: Is Meat Really That Bad?

Ecodharma: Is Meat Really That Bad?

I came across this short YouTube channel after it was recommended on a podcast I was listening to about debunking pseudoscience - they're thing is taking big topics, reviewing the science and making short videos about it. I am very skeptical about people recommending YouTube videos so did a bit of research on them and they seem legit.

I thought this was a really interesting video on meat which is as I'm sure we're all aware, very divisive topic at the moment. I am not vegan or vegetarian (yet!) but I thought this raised some really interesting points, especially about food transport and how most emissions in the transport process are from the last few miles.

Gassho,

Heiso
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-25-2022 at 12:02 AM.

Thank you very much for posting that, Heiso.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

i second Kokuu: Thank you very much for posting that, Heiso.

aprapti

sat

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

Great video !

Thank you very much for posting that, Heiso.

Gassho,

Anchi
    Life itself is the only teacher.
    一 Joko Beck

STLah
    安知 Anchi

Very interesting. Thank you for sharing

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Just saw this on the BBC website

In a two-week experiment, BBC Future tracked emissions from a vegan, vegetarian and omnivorous diet – and found some thought-provoking ways to lower emissions from our food.
    The results

So, how did we do?

A few weeks after our experiment, BBC Future attends a grand unveiling over Zoom, during which our total emissions during the experiment are revealed.

• Vegan CO2e emissions per week: 9.9kg
    • Vegetarian CO2e emissions per week: 16.9kg
    • Omnivore CO2e emissions per week: 48.9kg

What do these figures this translate to in everyday terms? US Environmental Protection Agency's equivalencies calculator, provides some useful comparisons:

• Vegan, 9.9kg (21.8lbs): 24.6 miles (39.6km) driven in a petrol-powered car, or 1,204 smartphones charged
    • Vegetarian, 16.9kg (37.3lbs): 41.9 miles (67.4km) driven in a petrol-powered car, or 2,056 smartphones charged
    • Omnivore, 48.9kg (107.8lbs): 121 miles (194.7km) driven in a petrol-powered car, or 5,948 smartphones charged

As expected, our vegan scored the lowest emissions, coming in at less than two-thirds the emissions of our vegetarian and just one-fifth that of the omnivore's emissions.

If it were a competition, our vegan would certainly be the winner.

But the result is not quite as clear cut as we had imagined. It turns out that on some days, vegetarianism came out as the diet with fewer emissions:

• Vegan day: Toasted crumpets with beans, followed with a lunch of mashed potato and salad, rounded off with yoghurt and most of a bag of fennel taralli snacks: 1.9kg (4.2lbs) CO2e – or 231 smartphones charged
    • Vegetarian day: A bowl of porridge with a splash of milk, an apple, a banana, a bowl of carrot and coriander soup with bread and butter, a bar of milk chocolate and a dinner of spinach and ricotta tortellini: 1.7kg (3.7lbs) CO2e – or 207 smartphones charged

It seems that having the lowest carbon footprint as a vegan isn't guaranteed – it depends on what you eat. What is clear from our experiment (and more importantly, from rigorous scientific research) is that on average a plant-based diet has significantly fewer emissions. Eating large amounts of meat, especially beef, is a sure way to increase your emissions many times over.

The tweaks to our diets that would result in the greatest fall in emissions were:

• Reducing animal products – eating fewer of them, or replacing with a plant-based alternative
    • Focusing on what you eat rather than food miles
    • Cooking efficiently, and saving ovens for special occasions rather than everyday use
    • Batch cooking to prepare food using a fraction of the energy
    • Avoiding food waste, through careful planning and creative cooking
    https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...-vegetarianism
    慧禅 | Húchán | Ross

Fascinating article. Thank you for sharing that Ross

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Greetings Heiso - a side note in response to your "yet", when moving to a vegetarian or vegan diet one usually needs to eat a larger quantity of food to get equivalent calories (as meat is calorie dense). Also I personally have found that switching to whole grains makes a big difference in how healthy I feel (but I am probably borderline diabetic so that would affect my reaction to white food (bread, rice, etc). rowan

Ross, thanks for sharing. I found the information very informative. Choices matter and I have more to consider.

Doshin
    st

Thanks for this, Ross, very interesting and food for thought although I think I'd struggle on that suggested vegan menu!

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah