Thread: Each instant is a jewel

Each instant is a jewel

I am starting to learn from the zazen for beginners series again and in lesson #5 Jundo said something that shifted my understanding of zazen a bit. I quote: "Each instant is a jewel, and that's how we sit zazen".

When I sit zazen, there are moments where trauma, anxiety, suffering come up. They can become pretty intense. But most of the time they are intense because my immediate reaction is: I DON'T WANT THIS. What I have found lately is that, when I sit with the full trust and conviction that EVERYTHING that arises IS just what it IS, that each instant is a jewel, most of the suffering that comes up simply comes and goes much quicker than it would otherwise. Why? Because I am not grasping, nor rejecting. I just welcome it, let it wash over my system and keep on sitting with an open heart.

It is a taste of what this quote tries to reflect: Keep your hands open, and all the sands of the desert can pass through them. Close them, and all you can feel is a bit of a grit - Taisen Deshimaru.

Hope you all have a lovely Sunday.

Sorry for running long.

Gassho, Tomás
    Sat

"...IS just what it IS..." brings to my mind an image of floating through the space of Indra's Net, where every jewel is the same size and equidistant from all neighboring jewels. We can imagine differences between them, which don't really exist. Good thought, bad thought... meh.

Tobiishi st
    It occurs to me that my attachment to this body is entirely arbitrary. All the evidence is subjective.

Ugly jewel is jewel, beautiful jewel is jewel.

It is human judgement, and human acts, which create "ugly" or "beautiful," because jewel is just jewel. People bury the jewel, ignore the jewel, cover the jewel in shadow, use the jewel for violence, for division, or as an object to covet and steal ... but the jewel is always still the jewel no matter how people disguise it.

A jewel of Indra's Net is all the world held within each jewel of the net, and all the other jewels of the net held comfortably within each jewel of the net. Thus, each jewel holds all the jewels, every jewel, yet is still itself a jewel. Each and all of infinite value when there is not human heart to divide and rate.

Like so.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-23-2022 at 12:19 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you for being the warmth in my world.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomás ESP View Post
    I am starting to learn from the zazen for beginners series again and in lesson #5 Jundo said something that shifted my understanding of zazen a bit. I quote: "Each instant is a jewel, and that's how we sit zazen".

When I sit zazen, there are moments where trauma, anxiety, suffering come up. They can become pretty intense. But most of the time they are intense because my immediate reaction is: I DON'T WANT THIS. What I have found lately is that, when I sit with the full trust and conviction that EVERYTHING that arises IS just what it IS, that each instant is a jewel, most of the suffering that comes up simply comes and goes much quicker than it would otherwise. Why? Because I am not grasping, nor rejecting. I just welcome it, let it wash over my system and keep on sitting with an open heart.

It is a taste of what this quote tries to reflect: Keep your hands open, and all the sands of the desert can pass through them. Close them, and all you can feel is a bit of a grit - Taisen Deshimaru.

Hope you all have a lovely Sunday.

Sorry for running long.

Gassho, Tomás
    Sat
    Thank you so much for sharing that quote -- fantastic analogy

For me, the practice of not rejecting thoughts is something I consistently have to work on, and zazen helps with that.

If I close the door on a negative thought, it often hastily comes back more frequently and stronger.

Gassho,

Bokugan
    SatToday LaH
    墨眼 | Bokugan | Sumi Ink Eye
    Ryan-S | zazenlibrarian.com

Thanks
    Sat/lah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind