Thread: Book Club, anyone?

Book Club, anyone?

Now that we are past Ango and Jukai, should we re-start our book club? Should we resume our reading of Genjokoan, or start a new book to include new readers?

What books would people be interested in reading?

Who would be interested in participating, either as a moderator or as a reader?

Gassho

Zenkon (Dick)

sat/lah

Quote Originally Posted by Zenkon View Post
    Now that we are past Ango and Jukai, should we re-start our book club? Should we resume our reading of Genjokoan, or start a new book to include new readers?

What books would people be interested in reading?

Who would be interested in participating, either as a moderator or as a reader?

Gassho

Zenkon (Dick)

sat/lah
    We have a book club!

"BEYOND WORDS & LETTERS" BOOK CLUB
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/foru...TERS-BOOK-CLUB

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

PS - Right now it is reading a VERY nice book on Dogen, in fact. I hope that folks will join in!
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-21-2022 at 07:18 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I miss the book club. Hope I am able to join when I have more free time in the near future

Gassho, Tomás
    Sat

The "Beyond Words" group began reading Zen Master's Dance in Sept., 2021. A group started reading Realizing Genjokoan: The Key to Dogen's Shobogenzo by Shohaku Okumura with a foreword by our friend Taigen Dan Leighton back in April, 2021. We put this on pause when Ango started. It was this reading group that I suggested we re-start. I suppose I was envisioning a group in addition to the one reading Zen Master's Dance.

Gassho

Zenkon

sat/lah

The "Beyond Words" group began reading Zen Master's Dance in Sept., 2021. A group started reading Realizing Genjokoan: The Key to Dogen's Shobogenzo by Shohaku Okumura with a foreword by our friend Taigen Dan Leighton back in April, 2021. We put this on pause when Ango started. It was this reading group that I suggested we re-start. I suppose I was envisioning a group in addition to the one reading Zen Master's Dance.

Gassho

Zenkon

sat/lah
    Well, you definitely should finish Realizing Genjokoan. Now that Jukai is finished, please finish from where you left off.

I will mention it in the "recommended threads" this week.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

There is also the Ecodharma group and we've just started reading David Loy's book of that name here -

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...a-Introduction

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah

Should we resume our reading of Genjokoan...
    We completed Genjokoan. If you go to the thread here, the posts for the last couple of chapters are there. You can certainly finish up your reading and make posts. And when you are ready, please join in one of the other book discussions mentioned above.

Gassho,
    Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.

Quote Originally Posted by Heiso View Post
    There is also the Ecodharma group and we've just started reading David Loy's book of that name here -

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...a-Introduction

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah
    Yes, forgot to mention that as well. Highly recommended.

Gassho, Jundo

I plan to return to Realizing Genjokoan, as I had two more chapters to complete before we stopped for Ango. That said, I have also joined the Ecodharma reading group and will continue with the Zen Master's Dance, so managing time for each may need some thought...

Gassho,
    Kaisui
    (previously known as Charity / coriander)
    sat/lah

All zen all the time?

Would anyone be interested in a “non-zen” book club thread? I love zen books as much as everyone else here, but sometimes you need a break

I particularly enjoyed “the three body problem” lately (sci-fi, highly recommended (pm me if you want a copy of the audiobook)), I’m sure we could probably find a zen angle if we tried hard enough

Gassho (with single photon 11 dimensional supercomputers!)
    ./sat
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by houst0n View Post
    All zen all the time?

Would anyone be interested in a “non-zen” book club thread? I love zen books as much as everyone else here, but sometimes you need a break

I particularly enjoyed “the three body problem” lately (sci-fi, highly recommended (pm me if you want a copy of the audiobook)), I’m sure we could probably find a zen angle if we tried hard enough

Gassho (with single photon 11 dimensional supercomputers!)
    ./sat
    Neil
    Hi Neil,

My feeling on that is that we have so much going on that I am trying to minimalize and simplify a bit.

I might suggest that folks could organize and advertise such a "not about Zen particularly book club" group here, just posting an announcement once, but the actual bookclub would be located outside somewhere you arrange on your own.

I hope that works for everyone.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah