Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ANNOUNCEMENT: Our 2022 TREELEAF Home-Leaving ORDINATIONS of Koushi, Onkai and Nengei

ANNOUNCEMENT: Our 2022 TREELEAF Home-Leaving ORDINATIONS of Koushi, Onkai and Nengei

Dear All,

I am very content to make this announcement, and ask everyone sitting with our Sangha to join in its celebration. OUR SANGHA WILL WELCOME THROUGH 'Home Leaving' ORDINATION three NEW NOVICE-PRIEST TRAINEES, all well known faces around here ...

LAURIE ONKAI ZOLAS

JOSEPH NENGEI ALEXANDER

JESSE KOUSHI SHERRILL

They will join our present Novice-Priest Trainees, Washin, Geika, Shinshi, Byokan, Shoka, Kokuu, Jakuden, Shugen and Sekishi, and our Transmitted Priests, Shokai and Kyonin. Nengei, Koushi and Onkai will be Ordained by me (Jundo) as a Novice Priest-Trainee at a Shukke Tokudo "Homeleaving" Ordination Ceremony to be held sometime during this Spring.

From time to time, after undertaking Zen practice for many years, a person may feel in their heart a certain calling. They may wish to train in our traditions and embody our practices in order to keep this way alive into the next generation as clergy. They may feel a calling within themselves to live as a servant and minister to the community, to the Sangha and to all sentient beings.

Traditionally, in India, China, Japan and the other Buddhist countries of Asia, one was expected to leave one’s home and family behind in order to begin the necessary training and practice of an “apprentice”. Thus, the ancient ceremony of ordination in Buddhism became known as Shukke Tokudo, “Leaving Home to Take the Way”. Now, in modern Japan and in the West, one great change in the nature of Buddhist clergy has been that many of us function more as “ministers” than “monks,,” with family and children, often with outside jobs as “Right Livelihood” supporting us, while ministering to a community of parishioners. This, in keeping with changes in cultures and society, has done much to bring Buddhism out from behind monastery walls. While now we may be living in a monastic setting for periods of weeks or months (and thus can be called “monks” during such times), we then return to the world beyond monastery walls, where these teachings have such relevance for helping people in this ordinary life. We are not bound by monastery walls, dropping all barriers separating "inside" from "out". Thus, the term “leaving home” has come to have a wider meaning, of “leaving behind” greed, anger, ignorance, the harmful emotions and attachments that fuel so much of this world, in order to find the “True Home” we all share. In such way, we find that Home that can never be left, take to the Way that cannot be taken.

Someone’s undertaking “Shukke Tokudo” is not a “raising up” of their position in the Sangha, it is not an honor or “promotion” into some exalted status, not by any meaning. Far from it, it is a lowering of oneself in offering to the community, much as all of us sometimes deeply bow upon the ground in humility, raising up others and the whole world above our humbled heads.

It is to volunteer and offer oneself as the lowest ‘sailor on the ship’ at the beck and call of the passengers' well-being and needs, a nurse to the suffering, a brother or sister supporting a family, a friend offering to help carry a burden. One must be committed sincerely to serve and benefit others, and one must not undertake such road for one’s own benefit, praise or reward.

What is more, the undertaking of “Shukke Tokudo” is not the end of the road of training, not by any meaning. Far from it, it is but the first baby steps. Perhaps, years down the road, the person will find that that they maintain the inner calling to continue this path … and, perhaps, years down the road, they shall have embodied this Tradition sufficiently to continue it and be certified as a fully Dharma Transmitted “priest” and a teacher … but there is no guaranty of any of that. Some will withdraw by their change in feelings, some will be asked to withdraw. For this reason, one undertaking “Home Leaving” is not yet recognized in the Zen world as truly a fully ordained “priest” for many years, and is called an “Unsui”, meaning “clouds and water,” representing the resolution yet malleability that is required in training. The best translation in English is “apprentice priest” or "novice priest" or “priest trainee”. Perhaps, years down the road, some trainees will be felt to have embodied these traditions sufficiently in order to function independently as priests and to receive Dharma Transmission … but not necessarily. For now, they are expected to learn … with the future not assured, and no promises about the future. (Of course, we are all beginners, all students … all learning from each other … teachers learning from students too).

We hope that, in the coming years, other people will feel this same calling. It must be by mutual decision. It is not something that should be rushed into, nor rushed through. Although people are all different, maybe a good time to first consider such a thing would be only after practicing for 5 years or longer, and then it should be deeply thought about (and silently sat with) for longer still before first taking on the responsibilities of being an apprentice student-priest.

For now, I am pleased to announce that Nengei, Onkai and Koushi will be our next Novice Priest-Trainees.

We hope that you will join us in wishing them well in their start on this long undertaking. Most of you will know each of them very well from their almost daily participation here over several years, and the energy, wisdom and compassion they always bring to our community. The ceremony will occur much as our prior Ordination Ceremonies, with all of our Sangha brought together across oceans using all means of modern media, dropping all thought of place and time.

As in all we undertake in our Sangha, the ceremony will not be limited to a specific location, much as our annual Jukai here at Treeleaf … and we hope that you will all join us for the ceremonies when the day comes.

Pardon my long message.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

Last edited by Jundo; 01-18-2022 at 02:57 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

What wonderful news to start the new years with! It is always wonderful to see the journeys of others who try best to embody the teachings we follow. I wish you all the best of luck, even though there will be ups and downs, I wish your convictions carry you through your training.

Gassho
    Rousei
    ST
    浪省 - RouSei - Wandering Introspection

Wonderful news!

Naiko
    st lah

Exciting news!

Gassho,
    Nengyoku
    Sat
    Thank you for being the warmth in my world.

This is wonderful. Deepest encouragement and heartfelt gratitude to Koushi, Nengei, and Onkai.

Gassho,
    Showan
    Sat today
    おつかれさまです

Congratulations to the three of you, I am sure many lives will be touched through your growing understanding of the Dharma

Gassho, Tomás
    Sat

Wonderful news!
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Lovely news!

With deep bows and gratitude,

安知
    Life itself is the only teacher.
    一 Joko Beck

STLah
    安知 Anchi

Omedetou!
    Gassho,
    Chris
    Sat

Wonderful news!
    Gassho, Kiri
    Sat/Lah
    希 rare
    理 principle
    (Nikolas)

Lovely! Thank you all three of you for your commitment and for generously offering yourselves up in service to the sangha.

Sat Today
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Wonderful news - thank you for your commitment.

Jinyo

Sat today

Congrats to all.

(I don't know how many unsui there are currently, but I think there may soon be enough for a football team (either kind of football), and probably already enough for a baseball team...)

Gassho,

Ryūmon

sat
    流文

I know nothing.

Congratulations Koushi, Onkai and Nengei!

That's 12 now? Sounds like more than enough for a Treeleaf mixed/able football team! We could call the team the 'dharma real dragons'?

Gassho,
    Neil
    ./sat+lah

Quote Originally Posted by Ryumon View Post
    Congrats to all.

(I don't know how many unsui there are currently, but I think there may soon be enough for a football team (either kind of football), and probably already enough for a baseball team...)

Gassho,

Ryūmon

sat
    Oh beat me to it!

This is wonderful news and great additions to the Treeleaf priest training.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Splendid news.

Gassho

—sat
    東西 - Tōsei - East West
    there is only what is, and it is all miraculous

מזל טוב

Gassho, Jishin, ST, LAH

That’s wonderful news!

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Congrats to all three of you! Thank you for making such a deep commitment

Gassho,
    Bokugan
    SatToday
    墨眼 | Bokugan | Sumi Ink Eye
    Ryan-S | zazenlibrarian.com

Wonderful news and congratulations to you three! Please know that we are here to continue to support you on this next journey. Thank you for your commitment!

Gassho,
    Kelly/Jinmei
    sat
    lah

This is fantastic news. Congratulations to you all and thank you for your support and practice.

Gassho,

Chukyo

ST

Great news, congratulations! Thank you all for your service to the sangha.

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah

Wonderful news. Congratulations to each of you.

Gassho

Zenkon

Sat/lah

Awesome. Congratulations to all.

Gassho
    Juki
    sat today and
    "First you have to give up." Tyler Durden

Congratulations!

Gassho

Risho
    -stlah

Thank you for taking the burden upon yourselves, your service to the Sangha, your service to those around you and your contribution to the preservation of the teachings.

Deep bows.

Gasshō
    Seiga
    SatToday

Congratulations Onkai, Nengei, and Koushi!
    I am sure that with this decision, your service to the sangha will strengthen. Thank you!

Gassho, Doğukan.
    Sat & LaH.

Congratulations.

Doshin
    St

It occurs to me that my attachment to this body is entirely arbitrary. All the evidence is subjective.

Congratulations!

It's nice to see how people plunge deeper into the ocean of dharma, dedicating their lives to save all sentient beings. Being a priest is a big responsibility. But it's nice when someone chooses this path.

Gassho
    Wabo
    ST

Congratulations to each of you !

I’m persuaded that your practice is already the unsui’s practice ; this event to come will be manifesting your true nature.

黙唱
    Mokushō
    Sat today

While reading this thread again I was thinking that I have shared in the Ordination of many of our priests, I have gotten to know them over the years, and I will be there when Onkai, Koushi, and Nengei do so. I appreciate the efforts they all give to keep our Sangha running. There is much work to be done to provide this place for us.

Thank you

Doshin
    st

Congratulations!

Gassho,
    Mags
    St

Grateful to practice Shikantaza with Treeleaf and you. We have been lay members together. Each morning I practice with community in my mind and alone I begin after thoughtfulness to sit. I learned much of mortality this year. All three of you honors us.
    Gassho
    sat/lah
    Last edited by Tai Shi; 01-24-2022 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Thank you working with Jundo and others.
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Congratulations and thank you for your service to this Sangha

Gassho,
    Kaisui
    (coriander)
    sat/lah

Wonderful--congratulations!!!

-stlah

Congratultions.

Thank you for all you have done, and what you will do. Looking forward to seeing you more!

Gassho,

Ippo

SatLah
    一 法
    (One)(Dharma)

Everyday is a good day!

Much encouragement, strength and clarity on your path.

Sat

Quote Originally Posted by Inshin View Post
    Much encouragement, strength and clarity on your path.

Sat
    Gassho2
    St lh

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Congratulations!

Nenka
    ST

Thank you all for your encouragement and support.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Thank
    You for Eno this morning Sunday Sit, congratulations for your priest in training. I have appreciated our Weekdays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Welcome dear Nengei, Koushi, and Onkai! Deep bows of gratitude for your practice.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Warm wishes for your journey.

Gassho
    Meishin
    Sat Today LAH

And congratulations to all new priests in training. This is an admirable step in the future of your lives.
    Gassho
    sat/ lah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Most excellent news.

And a wonderful time to be reviewing this paragraph:

It is to volunteer and offer oneself as the lowest ‘sailor on the ship’ at the beck and call of the passengers' well-being and needs, a nurse to the suffering, a brother or sister supporting a family, a friend offering to help carry a burden. One must be committed sincerely to serve and benefit others, and one must not undertake such road for one’s own benefit, praise or reward.
    gassho
    ds sat, and a bit of lah
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Thank you all for your kind words and support. I hope to be of much service

And thank you, Shōnin, for reiterating that paragraph.

Gassho,
    Koushi
    STLaH
    理道弘志 | Ridō Koushi

Please take this novice priest-in-training's words with a grain of salt.

I want to offer acknowledgment and gratitude for everyone's words of encouragement and congratulations.
    Nothing, however, has been achieved or attained.
    We offer ourselves to the service of your practice, and continue to learn from our precious Sangha.

Gassho,
    然芸 Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.

Congratulations . How beautiful it is to witness your commitment. I wish you a wonderful journey.

Gassho,
    Seibu
    Sattoday/lah

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast